Valve cover breather

V8Mustang

Established Member
Thinking that the easiest way to eliminate oil getting sucked through the breather tube on the pass valve cover under boost would be to install an open breather only on the pass side. I would retain the PCV on the driver's side.

The pro would be no oil sucked into intake reducing the chance for detonation and build-up.

Cons that I can think of are: 1. possibly oil would push out through open breather into engine bay, 2. some oil odor at times, 3. might get a little more dirt in the engine considering those breathers may not filter too well (unless K&N makes a wrap for them).

What do you think?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
This has been debated many times.
One side said breathers on just one side are bad because they allow unmetered air into the system. The other side says BS.

Some have said that the air flow on the passenger side changes direction depending on boost. I don't have verification on this one. It's possible.

The PVC side seems to be the number one source for oil getting sucked into the engine, not the passenger side. It's where most people choose to place an oil separator. Do a search and you'll get more info than you need.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Used to have a breather installed on the passengers side VC and my tuner chased my tune for a while. Took it off and no more tip-in detonation. I run an oil spe though. I could really tell the diff in the tune right away. On my car it made a big diff!

V8Mustang

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
Used to have a breather installed on the passengers side VC and my tuner chased my tune for a while. Took it off and no more tip-in detonation. I run an oil spe though. I could really tell the diff in the tune right away. On my car it made a big diff!

I run an oil spe though. Do U mean an oil seperator? If so, what kind?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Keep this in mind. The reason fpr the Positive Crankcase Ventellation is to scavange the piston ring blow-by out of the engine. One of the benefits is that it prevents varnish build up inside the engine from the gasoline contaminating the oil. It's best to maintain some vacuum at one end of the engine and a source of fresh air at the other. I plan on putting a catch can on both sides of the engine and leave the stock set-up as is.

V8Mustang

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
My bad. Yes oil seperator. Got it at Home Depot. $10-15.

You have one on the passenger side? I have one on the driver's side and if the open breather did not work on the p.side, I planned on doing this (don't like the looks of it on the p. side though).

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
There has been a lot of talk about oil seperators - and the need for one or not. I wanted to let the dust settle to see what panned out both pro and con for this solution. I believe at this point, I do want to put one in. Not sure if I will go with the $20 Auto Zone solution, or a quality performance company part.

The reason for my post is 2 parts - 1) I have much lower compression numbers on the drivers side pistons than the passenger side. I know clogged PVC valves will promote a piston ring sealing problem, could a clogged PVC valve cause ring sealing problems on just one side (I kinda doubt it)? 2) If the blower has significant oil build up from running without a seperator for many years, and more than likely carbon build up in the cylinder and valve seats, can you use a product like Seafoam or Marvels Mystery Oil and suck this up into the blower intake where the PVC hose hooks to and use this to clean out the blower intake and cylinder/valve build up? If so, which PVC hose do you use - the drivers side or passenger side?

TIA,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread