Valve Cover Breather Leaking Oil

Masonb5

Established Member
Hey everyone i've had my 01 Cobra in storage for awhile over winter. Today i went to warm it up a lil and after about 5 minutes of running noticed some smoke coming from under the hood. After looking for the cause i found oil along the hose from the valve cover breather and some oil running down the engine right under it (not much just enough to run about an inch). I'm wondering if this is common after the car hasn't been run for awhile or what could be causing this. Any thoughts are appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
how do you have the lines hooked up for the breather lines? If you dont have enough "breathing" room, you will build up manifold pressure and blow a valve cover seal, right now it seems as if you are building manifold pressure and oil is being pushed through the path of least resistance. Check and double check you the routing of your breather lines, how about a pic of the engine bay to start.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Did you remove the ball that acts as a pressure fitting for that PCV valve, if you drilled it out, try opening it up some more to allow some more breathing room. Otherwise it looks like it is plumbed correctly. I had an issue where i blew my valve cover gasket on the passenger side because there was to much manifold pressure. Try and open up that fitting and take it for another drive, also, take it for a gentle cruise and check it, then go more a spirited cruise, you dont have to go WOT but get on it and see if oil starts to seep through. This will tell you that you have restricted ventilation and have high manifold pressure. That breather is the weakest link and oil is finding its way through, if it gets worse or if you just make the seal tighter on the breather, the oil will find another path, most likely your valve cover gasket where the RTV meets with the block and the front timing chain cover, then next would be the gasket that surrounds the spark plugs between your valve cover and cylinder head. This is what happened to me. I fixed my issue by making sure there was enough "breathing" room for my motor. Double check and check again.

Not saying i am an expert, just going by personal experience, GL.

Last edited:

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
quick question, where do you have the breather hose going from the driver side valve cover to the opposite side of the motor? :shrug: I cant see where it ends

Masonb5

Established Member
The breather hose goes to the back of the intake right next to the supercharger. I messed with it a little bit last night and it's no longer leaking from the breather. It's now smoking from below the valve covers couldn't see exactly where. Be looking into it further after work.

Masonb5

Established Member
thats what i'm guessing, figure now that the snow is gone and the salt is off the roads take it out and let it burn off any left on it. then start again

Users who are viewing this thread