value of current engine

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
Im currently doing a build with a new 5.3stroker. My current engine had 195 compression on every cylinder but 175 on #7 and 105 on #8. I did a leakdown and had if i remember correct around 70-80% leak showing on #8. Only place i could hear air going was out the dipstick. Looks like i will be putting the new motor in the car around march. Im just wondering what you guys think the current motor could be sold for it would be the complete longblock with the eaton and also the stock fuel sys with stock injectors. Knowing the leakdown had air coming out the dipstick im sure it just needs a hone and new rings. Car still runs good.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
depends on what all is bad when you crack open the motor. If crank and rods are good (sounds like they will be) you could make a bit off of those alone.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Im currently doing a build with a new 5.3stroker. My current engine had 195 compression on every cylinder but 175 on #7 and 105 on #8. I did a leakdown and had if i remember correct around 70-80% leak showing on #8. Only place i could hear air going was out the dipstick. Looks like i will be putting the new motor in the car around march. Im just wondering what you guys think the current motor could be sold for it would be the complete longblock with the eaton and also the stock fuel sys with stock injectors. Knowing the leakdown had air coming out the dipstick im sure it just needs a hone and new rings. Car still runs good.

It's nice that you're being so honest to the new owner about what you found compression and leakdown, but air coming out the dipstick could mean a lot of other catastrophic things. Cracked ring land, partial hole in piston, etc. or it could be something simple as rings took a dump then chewed up the walls on their way out.

As the seller, you are looking at best case scenario. When determining value, you need to look at it from the buyer's perspective (the guy writing the check): worst case scenario. That being said, opening up a modular to do rings, clean everything, hone, gaskets and reassembly is not cheap.

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
also forgot to mention new pistons beings noone would prolly put stock pistons back in! thanks for the feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread