Valet tune?

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Curious if anyone has a valet tune? I don't ever plan on leaving my car anywhere with anyone but you never know and just like my gun, it's better to have it and not need it. I do plan on getting my car professionally sealed with opti-coat soon but I'm still researching into that and that's a topic for another day but this valet tune would come in handy there as well. I guess basically something with a rev limiter and mph limiter ect. I will just have an extra tune created for that I guess just looking for anyone with advice. Thanks

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Yeah i could have sworn I read somewhere that the 2013 didn't have it for some strange reason my apologizes, I'm a jackass carry on :nonono:

paluka21

Established Member
I wasn't aware mykey ( Ford valet ) has the capabilities to limit engine RPM or any speed under 80 mph? If the OP wants to limit engine RPM, say to prevent a dealer/service person from revving the motor past 3000rpm, I believe a custom tune would be needed. I also have a concern that a service person would want to hear what the exhaust sounds like, hence revving the motor into high rpms, or taking the car for a "joy ride."

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
MyKeySpeedLimit_zps7870b616.gif

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
well I was confusing the "my key" for the boss "track key" so while I am still a jackass at least I'm not crazy :lol1: To make it even worse when I went to double check my owners manual, I had a bookmark in it and thought hmmm wonder what this is for? I open it up and its bookmarked on page 58 which ironically is the My Key section of the manual........pfff moving forward, I'm gonna read it over again but real quick so 80 mph the lowest I can set the limit and I cant limit the RPMs?! Whats the point?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
would that make it so traction and stability control cant be turned off? thats about the only worthwhile thing left and even then cant you smoke em a decent amount before the nannies step in?

paluka21

Established Member
well I was confusing the "my key" for the boss "track key" so while I am still a jackass at least I'm not crazy :lol1: To make it even worse when I went to double check my owners manual, I had a bookmark in it and thought hmmm wonder what this is for? I open it up and its bookmarked on page 58 which ironically is the My Key section of the manual........pfff moving forward, I'm gonna read it over again but real quick so 80 mph the lowest I can set the limit and I cant limit the RPMs?! Whats the point?

It appears that you can set "warning" indicators for speeds under 80, but I believe 80mph is the lowest speed you can configure. From what I understand its more for parental control limiting the top speed a vehicle can go for their kids.
On a side note, I had an MSD box in my 95 which took the RPM pills. When taking the car anywhere besides a tuner, I would slip in a 3000rpm pill and use red silicone around the pill so that I could tell if the seal was broke. The tuner who used to work on my car wanted to put a valet tune in the car, but I didn't trust him well enough -not- to screw it up. :eek:

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
MyKey™ Feature

The MyKey™ feature allows a restricted driving mode to be programmed into one (or more) key(s) supplied with the vehicle or into any ( PATS ) programmed spare key(s) to promote good driving habits. The MyKey™ is a restricted key for all consecutive key cycles until the MyKey™ restricted key is cleared. The remaining key(s) is referred to as an "administrator key" or admin key. There must always be at least one admin key. The IPC does not allow the last admin key to be programmed into a MyKey™ restricted key. Both the admin key and the MyKey™ can be used to see how many admin keys and MyKey™ restricted keys are programmed to the vehicle, and how many total miles have been driven with the MyKey™ restricted key active.

When the MyKey™ feature is programmed, several features are modified including:

Standard Restricted Features
  • NOTE: The standard restricted features below cannot be configured in any way.
  • Belt-Minder® chimes periodically with the audio system muted until the driver safety belt is buckled. If Belt-Minder® has been disabled when the admin key is in the vehicle, Belt-Minder® still functions for the MyKey™ driver. Belt-Minder® cannot be disabled by the MyKey™ driver.
  • Audible and visual low fuel warnings are issued when the programmed Distance To Empty (DTE) value is reached (typically 75 miles).
  • The parking aid system (if equipped) cannot be turned off.

Optional Restricted Features
  • NOTE: The optional restricted features below can be configured to the customer preferences.
  • The volume of the audio system can be programmed to limit the volume to 45% of the maximum volume.
  • Vehicle speed can be programmed to be limited to 130 km/h (80 mph). Audible and visual warnings are issued when the vehicle speed of 130 km/h (80 mph) is attained.
  • Audible and visual warnings are issued when the preselected vehicle speed of 75, 90 or 105 km/h (45, 55 or 65 mph) is attained.
  • The AdvanceTrac® always on feature can be configured on or off. If configured to always on, at this time the traction control cannot be disabled by the MyKey™ driver.

DTE - Distance To Empty
IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster
PATS - Passive Anti-Theft System

Last edited:

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Am I alone in seeing the My Key as basically pointless? I understand what it does now and can see its potential benefits but its not at all what I want it to do. Its almost just like putting someone on the honor system. I guess I'll have to talk to my tuner for suggestions. Paluka, what where your concerns with the tuner messing something up? I just figured it would be an extremely simple couple settings

Snoopy49

Established Member
Here is why I programmed one of my keys as a MyKey. I don't want to watch my mechanic on television.

[video=youtube;jiO6zcnQSEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiO6zcnQSEs[/video]

paluka21

Established Member
Am I alone in seeing the My Key as basically pointless? I understand what it does now and can see its potential benefits but its not at all what I want it to do. Its almost just like putting someone on the honor system. I guess I'll have to talk to my tuner for suggestions. Paluka, what where your concerns with the tuner messing something up? I just figured it would be an extremely simple couple settings

The guy who was tuning my previous car, which was a '95 cobra was not very good at tuning the car, which was essentially an easy combo to tune for a competent tuner; 331 stroker, supercharger with 16-17psi, mild custom cam, 5 speed, stock ECU. He told me after getting his final tune in the car, and 15 hours on the dyno, that he would put a valet tune in it for me. After realizing he still couldn't get the car right after 15 dyno hours, he wasn't going to mess with anything with this car ever again.
^^^ what I just typed is probably totally unrelated to what a competent tuner can do with new technology, and I suspect they can provide you with what your goals are. But for me, a valet tune would cut spark at 3000 rpm, and not allow full throttle operation.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
You just need to find a way to reactivate the mode the car comes with when new, no boost to the supercharger.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Can someone who has access to a decent patch of road, checkout the MyKey setup and see if you can exceed 80 mph and see what the rpm limit is, also check and see if you can get any boost. I would try it myself, but I need to travel 20 miles to get to such a road.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
Sct x4 tuner will also limit speeds. I set mine up for 30 mph today to test and it worked great. Just incase!!

Last edited:

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
I will be getting the x4 and I just checked their site and see you can limit the speed as well as the rpms in drive AND in neutral which Is great as someone already posted the scenario of someone wanting to rev the motor to hear the exhaust. This is great news and exactly what I wanted. My question is are you making the change to your existing tune or creating a new one? I wouldn't want to screw up the custom one but if its as simple as making the adjustment dropping it off for whatever service and then removing the limiters again I'm soooo all over this!

Users who are viewing this thread