Va state inspection no cats

nitrovic

Established Member
Anybody know a shop who is cool about no cats in the Northern Va area? I live in an area where they aren't technically needed (lower population), but some shops will not pass you on visual inspection.

Thanks!!

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Anybody know a shop who is cool about no cats in the Northern Va area? I live in an area where they aren't technically needed (lower population), but some shops will not pass you on visual inspection.

Thanks!!

Don't confuse there not being a local mandate checking for inspection with the catalytic converters being required on the vehicle.

The catalytic converters are required by federal regulations from the EPA. Even if your area does not require inspection of emissions, it is illegal to remove emissions equipment.

Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed
and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person.
The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private
individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their
own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section
203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act)

Not making a judgment call here, just stating your belief that they're not required in your area is false.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Honestly you might wanna check out craigs list for a stock hpipe. I kept mine for emissions every two years. Just swap it on and off whenever you need inspections, emissions, or otherwise

TonyUMD

If I hear that again...
Established Member
Honestly you might wanna check out craigs list for a stock hpipe. I kept mine for emissions every two years. Just swap it on and off whenever you need inspections, emissions, or otherwise

+1 on this, mine is due in July, so either way i WILL pass :banana:

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Wow, you guys were no help. Try finding a performance shop that installs things such as o/r pipes. They seem to be more lenient, seeing as how they get it.

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
Don't waste your time buying cats to put on. I am in VA too. Don't say anything about the cats not being there and just take it in. Its not a safety issue and you're getting an annual safety inspection. Some places will give you static but it is super rare. The only time you will have any real issue is if you live in an area that does emissions Inspections. (Only northern VA)......if you have any questions pm me. I have lived all over VA for 40 years

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Wow, you guys were no help. Try finding a performance shop that installs things such as o/r pipes. They seem to be more lenient, seeing as how they get it.

Great post. Way to call out three other people who did attempt to help him.

My post informed him that his notion of cats not being required was false. He can still be fined heavily, and his ignorance to the matter is not a legitimate defense. Knowing this, he may change his mind on having the cats removed.

The next two posts suggested the most common method of passing inspection: swapping a catted mid-pipe with an O/R midpipe come inspection time.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I am not here to start shit but this whole discussion should not even be here. ANY shop that gets named in public, or that actually does this runs a risk of getting their license pulled, as well as VERY heavy fines on the federal level. it is also against the SVTP rules.

Highly recommend any naming of names be done via PM if at all

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
OP, is your car lowered? I find that usually at my state inspections they don't lift my car because it's lowered, therefore not checking to see if I do or don't have cats.

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
Missed the nova part.... you are pretty much best off to buy some hi flow cats as you won't get passed the Sniffer every two years anyhow

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My car just passed inspection and emissions yesterday and they never looked under the car.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Great post. Way to call out three other people who did attempt to help him.

My post informed him that his notion of cats not being required was false. He can still be fined heavily, and his ignorance to the matter is not a legitimate defense. Knowing this, he may change his mind on having the cats removed.

The next two posts suggested the most common method of passing inspection: swapping a catted mid-pipe with an O/R midpipe come inspection time.

He didn't ask how to pass. He asked where to go without cats...

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Missed the nova part.... you are pretty much best off to buy some hi flow cats as you won't get passed the Sniffer every two years anyhow

They only plugged a device into the OBD2 port of my car to check for fault codes.... no sniffer test.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member

I was going to make a statement toward this then i saw you live in Hampton. F*** your life, that speaks worlds in of itself lol. That place is the hole of the east.

Last edited:

WildFifty

Established Member
I live in VA... they always lift my car up no matter where i go... in northern virginia these type of businesses target us bc they know we run o/r stuff. i had to let go of my o/r x and went with a bassani catted X. If you need a stock one to let you pass let me know i'll let you borrow mine.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Every car we inspected we lift up and check, might have some luck at a gas station

I get all my cars except the Shelby inspected at a Coastal gas station. They don't even have a lift in the inspection bay. They'll jack it up far enough to pull a tire to check the brakes and thats it.

nitrovic

Established Member
Thanks for all the info!! A couple of helpful pm's have pointed me in the right direction.:dancenana:

Users who are viewing this thread