V6 mustang turbo

Twisty

Established Member
I was at Walmart today looking at the magazines and I found a piece on a guy who had a v6 mustang. He was always getting raped so he got a turbo running 7 psi. This is was a auto 3.8 no mods besides the turbo and 42 lbs. injectors.(also header and so on for the turbo set up) He dynoed at 235 whp and running 13.20 @107 all day. I was thinking about doing this since I just flipped my contour and got a good amount back on it. But I was wondering if anyone knows about the v6 stang and if they are worth the time if I can get that from a 4 grand turbo kit.

nj7703

Established Member
I would think after having to tighten up the suspension, adding bigger wheels, doing the exhaust mods, and even any tranny mods to handle the power, you are WAY above 4 grand. Sounds like a fun project however, i would love to see what could be done.

Sailing2Smth

Smooth Ass Sailor
Established Member
i have a 00 v6 stang and from personal experience its just no fun wasting the money to mod the thing. i have the 3.73 gears/T-lok, dual exhaust and i had the NX kit. it just takes too much cash to get the performance of a GT outta the six. IMO just buy the GT, thats what i plan on doing soon, (well not a GT but a vette;-) )

if you want to know more then these guys can help you alot, theres a guy on this board named Dan and he is running a turbo on his v6 stang, and his dynoed results are 403 rwhp/405rwtq!!!! but he had to spend some serious cash to get there needless to say.

www.v6power.net

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Get a fox bodied 5.0 with the dough...A few mods and you'll be faster than a turbo 6 banger....

95Mike

Kick-Ass Grocery-Getter!
Established Member
Why not another svt contour? The street flight turbo made 295hp/275tq on keysers car. I wouldn't waste my time with the v6 stang personally, but if you do get one make sure it's 99+. I'd just get a 95 lightning and add boost.:)

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Twisty
This is was a auto 3.8 no mods besides the turbo and 42 lbs. injectors.(also header and so on for the turbo set up) He dynoed at 235 whp and running 13.20 @107 all day.
I'm pretty sure that guy's car went boom. :nonono:
He's from San Antonio, as is Pro Turbo Kits.

4camV8

Established Member
235 rwhp and 107 mph? does that add up to you guys? seems fast... the cobra went 103 with 280 to the wheels... i drove it pretty shitty, but still...

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by 4camV8
235 rwhp and 107 mph? does that add up to you guys? seems fast... the cobra went 103 with 280 to the wheels... i drove it pretty shitty, but still...

I thought those #s were messed up when I read the article. The car isn't that light. 5.0 Mag should edit their stories better. My '92 LX had that much power and it didn't run 13.20s.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member

yup i was gonna call bullshit on that too, no way thats possible

4camV8

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
without the torque thats 15's @ 80 sumthin all day long

You just made me think of something... my buddy's grand national (turbo v6) made 230 something hp at the wheels, but 320 something torque... Now i am not saying that makes 107 mph possible for this turbo v6 stang, but it suddenly doesn't seem AS ridiculous. I also have no idea what the GN traps at cause he hasn't run it yet... but just a thought... turbos make loads of torque...

95Mike

Kick-Ass Grocery-Getter!
Established Member
You just made me think of something... my buddy's grand national (turbo v6) made 230 something hp at the wheels, but 320 something torque... Now i am not saying that makes 107 mph possible for this turbo v6 stang, but it suddenly doesn't seem AS ridiculous. I also have no idea what the GN traps at cause he hasn't run it yet... but just a thought... turbos make loads of torque...

The big bottom end only helps at first though. Generally cars with big torque and decent traction run good 1/4s with relatively low trap speeds. A gtp is a good example with an eaton on a 3.8 liter. I've seen modded gtps run low 13s at around 102. I just don't think 107mph is possible with only 230whp especially in a car as heavy as the scroach. A 2700lb civic yes, but not the muscroach.

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by NeedaCobra
Buy a foxbody Mustang and mod away :-D

EXACTLY!!!!!!

phuck the v6. no offense to it, but unless you want to sink tons of cash into a car and still not have as much power as a fox 5.0 with just a few mods, why bother?

4camV8

Established Member
just a follow up, I actually saw this article over the weekend, and read it. They talk about the dyno run being on x pounds of boost, but that the car is often set up to run quite a bit more boost... they don't mention what psi he was running during his mysterious 107mph run... perhaps the boost was up? But the fact remains, unless it's a typo, i don't think 5.0 mag would make shit up... the numbers don't add up but :shrug:

Phantom_LS2

bringing the pain!!!
Established Member
actually dan is runnin a vortech supercharger i believe....and yeah...don't waste your time on a v6. the only reason i got mine is cause my previous vehicle was about to blow, and i got a really good deal on the stang.

Users who are viewing this thread