V10 Speculation

Paul Vincent

Established Member
I got this from a Viper site. It is interesting enough to share.
It has been rumored the GT wil get a V10 in 2006. There is some feasability, form a technical standpoint, if not a financial one. Here is an exceprt from "Automotive Design and Production", a trade rag.

"Building a 427 wasn’t the goal of Brune’s and Coleman’s program. The point of their exercise was to produce a V10 much more compact than Ford’s current offerings, one that would provide the option of putting a V10 under the hood of vehicles where the truck V10 wouldn’t fit. “Even though we borrowed the head design from the Mustang Cobra R,” says Brune, “the 427 is nearly the same length as the 5.4-liter V8, and 70 lb lighter.” And it produces 590 hp @ 6,500 rpm, and 509 lb-ft of torque at 5,500 rpm while meeting expected emission standards, something the 1960s-era 427 could never accomplish. It also comes in 351-in3 and 390-in3 displacements—numbers familiar to Ford enthusiasts—and the former can safely spin to a heady 7,500 rpm."

The article mentions that the new V10 has a lower center of gravity than the 5.4 currently used in the GT.

Vic

Established Member
heh heh, what do you do on Saturday afternoon? Hop from one site to another? I know I do! heh heh! :)

Vic

Established Member
The GT is one helluva car! I think its gonna be a big hit! Share that info, whenever you can! Did you see the Discovery channel show on it? Awesome!

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Yes, I caught it at 1:00 a.m. central time Sat. morning. I couldn't sleep, and I got lucky with the remote. The show was really worth watching (although I at first couldn't figure out the AMX that was doing the burnouts). Eventually I caught on.

Users who are viewing this thread