V1 supercharger vs V2

Swaie

Established Member
Okay, I have the chioce to buy a v1 or v2 supercharger at the same price. I know the v1 has a self contained lubrication system, where as the v2 taps into the oil pan. Are there any performance differences? Which are more reliable? Please tell me any differences you know of.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Okay, I have the chioce to buy a v1 or v2 supercharger at the same price. I know the v1 has a self contained lubrication system, where as the v2 taps into the oil pan. Are there any performance differences? Which are more reliable? Please tell me any differences you know of.

I'm pretty sure the V3 is the self contained unit, not the V1.

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
V1 and V2 have different gears and both require oil pan tapping. The V1 I think is known to be a bit louder at idle and its the V3 system that is self contained.

My94GT

Established Member
i had a v2 and brand new ran into issues with it not staying sealed, swithched up to the v3. its nice that its self contained, and its deff makes a good bit more noise then my v2 did. the only thing is i have no real miles logged on my set up as it was all new when i blew my trans and just havent had time to fix it.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
The V1 is older technology compared to the V2 which has a slightly steeper gear ratio and can make a little more power. They both tap the oil pan. The V3 has the same gearing as the V2 but is self contained. It is an easier install but the V2 will get filtered, cooled oil on a constant basis.

crazycarlo

Established Member
the v1 has straight cut gears...more noice and the website says its a lil more efficient. the V-2 has helical cut gears and is pretty damn quiet. My buddy has one and u cant hear it and he has had it for over 2 years with no issues out of it. The V-3 is the self contained one. Dunno the specs on it but with anoy of them you can go wrong haha.

Swaie

Established Member
OOkay, my bad I got them mixed up. So when I tap the oil pan that goes into the supercharger right? So what stops sludge from the bottom of the pan getting into the supercharger? Also where does the oil drain back to after lubing the supercharger?

Sorry for all the newbi questions, but I just don't know.:shrug:

THAITED

Established Member
the v1 has straight cut gears...more noice and the website says its a lil more efficient. the V-2 has helical cut gears and is pretty damn quiet. My buddy has one and u cant hear it and he has had it for over 2 years with no issues out of it. The V-3 is the self contained one. Dunno the specs on it but with anoy of them you can go wrong haha.

What he said...

tistan

Established Member
OOkay, my bad I got them mixed up. So when I tap the oil pan that goes into the supercharger right? So what stops sludge from the bottom of the pan getting into the supercharger? Also where does the oil drain back to after lubing the supercharger?

Sorry for all the newbi questions, but I just don't know.:shrug:

You tap the pan for the oil drain on the supercharger. The oil feed line connects after the oil filter.

tankerman1981

Established Member
V1 is louder than the V2 because of the fins... soo if you want everybody to know what is under your hood V1 is the way to go.... I have a V1 and love at idle at a light and everybody who knows anything knows what I am packing

tistan

Established Member
V1 is louder than the V2 because of the fins... soo if you want everybody to know what is under your hood V1 is the way to go.... I have a V1 and love at idle at a light and everybody who knows anything knows what I am packing

I also have a v1. The problem with letting everyone know is that less people want to run. I don't think I would trade my v1 because I like the noise it makes.

tankerman1981

Established Member
Yea they see me start pulling up to an intersection and think I just might be a typical SN95 Snake but once at idle they realize that whine and well... I love it...

blownfox

Established Member

+1 or some people think I have a bad belt or power stearing pump.

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
i love the whine of my v1. and spent a little time looking for a v1 just for the noise. To bad vortech no longer makes the v1 or replacement parts for it.:beer:

Swaie

Established Member
So vortech doesn't make replacement parts for the v1. So what happens when If I get the v1 and it breaks...am I just shit out of luck! He'll if so I might as well just go with the v2.

MG01GT

Established Member
If your that worried about it go with T trim and and keep the boost on the low side. Trust me a T trim will still make plenty of noise.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
i love the whine of my v1. and spent a little time looking for a v1 just for the noise. To bad vortech no longer makes the v1 or replacement parts for it.:beer:

If your that worried about it go with T trim and and keep the boost on the low side. Trust me a T trim will still make plenty of noise.

This. My t-trim is loud as hell and I love it. I had a V1 on my '03 GT as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread