USPS problem, am I hosed?

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I bought a new set of snap on torx bits on eBay, they were around 240 shipped, something like 360 if they were on the truck.
I take off last week with my wife and son for a business trip. I Was watching my tracking info on my eBay app, and it said delivered Thursday. I arrived Sunday with no bits. I finally check the usps app, and it shows it was delivered to someone more than a 1/4 mile away, and not even on the same street. I had a package for the people that my stuff was "delivered" to. I ask the neighbor and she denies everything. And it was a substitute mail person on top of everything.

We all have a community lock box, since we are on a rural route. I go into the postmistress and she "investigates" the situation and tells me to file a police report and try to file a claim with the usps to try and get my money. She claims its out of her hands since someone signed for it. Am I screwed? My name isn't vandiver, nor do I live on centennial street where it says it was delivered.

5417DC5E-5135-44C2-8E11-F276048E74A5_zpsip1h2kfu.png

C8285923-7397-4928-ADD2-CE2E7CC8CFCA_zpsy5meas8h.jpg

I'm back out again and trying to have my wife handle this as timely as we can. Any input would be appreciated. Sorry about the poor grammar, but typing frustrated on my phone is kind of rough. Thanks.

Blown 89

Established Member
You were hosed the moment USPS was involved. I swear they lose half of my company's packages.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Ebay thus paypal thus the buyer is almost always correct. You'll be fine. You may have to jump through some hoops, but you'll get a refund.

oldmodman

Established Member
I hope you paid for it by PayPal backed with a credit card.

File a non delivery claim and have the credit card claw back the payment.

And in the future put a little note in the box provided for it in the PayPal payment box.

"All orders must be shipped with either UPS or FedEx. United States Postal service packages are too often misdelivered or stolen in transit and will not be paid for if not delivered to me, personally."

I have had three packages that never got to me already just this year. I didn't pay for any of them. Visa refused payment on all of them for me.

I wonder how many were never shipped in the first place? :rolleyes:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I hope you paid for it by PayPal backed with a credit card.

File a non delivery claim and have the credit card claw back the payment.

And in the future put a little note in the box provided for it in the PayPal payment box.

"All orders must be shipped with either UPS or FedEx. United States Postal service packages are too often misdelivered or stolen in transit and will not be paid for if not delivered to me, personally."

I have had three packages that never got to me already just this year. I didn't pay for any of them. Visa refused payment on all of them for me.

I wonder how many were never shipped in the first place? :rolleyes:

Would this hose the seller if he legitimately sent it?

10splaya22

Established Member
I think the sender should have to file the claim. They should win thru USPS and show that the person it was delivered to was different then the person on the package.

TK Doom

Established Member
About 10 years ago, I was very active on eBay as a seller. I had to file the claim, I got the money refunded, then I refunded the buyer.

Either way, you have a lot of stuff in your court, since it was delivered to the wrong address. I would talk to the postmistress (LOL?) again, or take it a notch higher.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
File a claim with E-bay, you are almost 100% guaranteed to get your money back since you are a buyer.

I quit selling on E-bay because of their slanted policies that overwhelmingly favor the buyer. I had to refund a dude several hundred dollars because he opened mint coins and sent back garbage coins. They refunded him no questions asked.

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
File a claim with E-bay, you are almost 100% guaranteed to get your money back since you are a buyer.

I quit selling on E-bay because of their slanted policies that overwhelmingly favor the buyer. I had to refund a dude several hundred dollars because he opened mint coins and sent back garbage coins. They refunded him no questions asked.

Yup, there have been countless stories like that, about asshole abusing Ebay.

Last time I used ebay I was about to score two brand new GoPros with a 20% code, so I decided to ebay them and back a couple bucks. First issue was both buyers have zero feedback and were in Spain and Russia. I played by the rules though, I gave legit UPS quotes which were like $150 each. Neither paid, thus I got all my listing fees back. Anyway, the ebay/paypal fees were going to be like $90. I don't know how people make money on ebay anymore.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Here is who signed for it.

Sonja M Vandiver
785-890-5062
847 Centennial Dr
Goodland, KS 67735

Forget that claim, is it close by? Go get it. People pull this crap all the time, they get something that isn't theirs and then just wait and see if anyone comes back to collect it. Could be fun, show up with a black suit on, say you're investigating a package that was wrongfully collected by her. Provide no name, get the package, still file the claim against the USPS, cha ching. Sort of joking about that, but at the very least call and sound official, don't even let her talk when she answers "Hello"... Hi Ms. Vandiver, I'm calling in relation to a package you signed for that was mistakenly delivered to you on May 21, 2015, I'm sure you recall. Someone will be coming by to collect that package." "oh, okay" Whatever you say, just don't start out asking a question and screw yourself. "umm hi, did you get a delivery by mistake a week ago? "Nope, sorry, click."

Also, everyone is complaining about USPS. I've had UPS deliver packages for a house that is 100 digits higher 7-8 times in the past 2 years. My house number is clearly displayed and the package is always the same (lots of coffee).

Last edited:

MysticRob

Established Member
Yup, there have been countless stories like that, about asshole abusing Ebay.

Last time I used ebay I was about to score two brand new GoPros with a 20% code, so I decided to ebay them and back a couple bucks. First issue was both buyers have zero feedback and were in Spain and Russia. I played by the rules though, I gave legit UPS quotes which were like $150 each. Neither paid, thus I got all my listing fees back. Anyway, the ebay/paypal fees were going to be like $90. I don't know how people make money on ebay anymore.

The zero feedback bidders are a common issue these days. Happened to me a couple times recently selling some older cell phones. Apparently other sellers with the same type of items for sale as you set up dummy accounts and bid/win your auction to tie up your item in ebay's non-paying bidder process. Takes a few days to complete before you can even relist your item, and by then the assholes have likely been able to sell their own item. Last time a zero bidder BIN'd my item I relisted it immediately and never heard shit from the zero bidder in Chile or wherever it was. Douche nozzles anyway...

LS2GTO

Established Member
If you know where it went and who signed for it it should be easy to get your money or parts back. Clearly USPS didn't deliver it to the right person.

That or get the police involved.

scott_0

Established Member
I dont see how the USPS isnt responsible here. I mean its in black and white that it went to the wrong address and they have who signed for it, open and shut imo, fwiw Ive always had good luck with our mail service with packages, only issue we ever had was some dumb ass carrier left a package inside our full glass storm door, the door didnt latch and the wind caught it, luckily it didnt shatter the glass, but it did **** up our door jam smh, my wife and were livid, but of course she took it a bit further with the post master, needless to say, hasnt happened again

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Here is who signed for it.

Sonja M Vandiver
785-890-5062
847 Centennial Dr
Goodland, KS 67735

Forget that claim, is it close by? Go get it. People pull this crap all the time, they get something that isn't theirs and then just wait and see if anyone comes back to collect it. Could be fun, show up with a black suit on, say you're investigating a package that was wrongfully collected by her. Provide no name, get the package, still file the claim against the USPS, cha ching. Sort of joking about that, but at the very least call and sound official, don't even let her talk when she answers "Hello"... Hi Ms. Vandiver, I'm calling in relation to a package you signed for that was mistakenly delivered to you on May 21, 2015, I'm sure you recall. Someone will be coming by to collect that package." "oh, okay" Whatever you say, just don't start out asking a question and screw yourself. "umm hi, did you get a delivery by mistake a week ago? "Nope, sorry, click."

Also, everyone is complaining about USPS. I've had UPS deliver packages for a house that is 100 digits higher 7-8 times in the past 2 years. My house number is clearly displayed and the package is always the same (lots of coffee).

I know the lady, I've been to her house, as well as the mailman that delivered the package, she insist it was never delivered there. the post wench and her are friends and discussed it over lunch. The police don't want much involvement since it is a civil case between the usps and the contract carrier. The gps coordinates show it was delivered 4 feet in front of the community mail hole at the end of the street. The seller is filing a claim and I'm going to get in contact with the postal inspector.

chvybeatsford

Established Member
Hope it all works out. I hate USPS also and the fact amazon keeps using them to deliver my stuff. Lucky I work 2/ miles always and go home during that time its supposed to be delivered.

Repth

Established Member
I know the lady, I've been to her house, as well as the mailman that delivered the package, she insist it was never delivered there. the post wench and her are friends and discussed it over lunch. The police don't want much involvement since it is a civil case between the usps and the contract carrier. The gps coordinates show it was delivered 4 feet in front of the community mail hole at the end of the street. The seller is filing a claim and I'm going to get in contact with the postal inspector.

Am I missing something? How is she still feeding you that bullshit when you can see her signature clear as day...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

That sucks OP. I can't believe people are willing to do this kind of crap. It's a federal offence to steal mail. Please keep us updated.

MysticRob

Established Member
Am I missing something? How is she still feeding you that bullshit when you can see her signature clear as day...

I agree. I'd confront her with that information then plant a huge sign in front of her house saying "THIEF" if she refuses to give you the package. I can't believe the cops wouldn't get involved and make her life hell for you with all the proof.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member

Damn, sounds the postal worker is running a scam. Maybe call this? https://www.uspsoig.gov/hotline

Users who are viewing this thread