Using the SCT tuner to diagnosis a car

hades_1

Established Member
Hi there, I spent some time yesterday trying to find tutorials on how to use a SCT tuner to diagnose your car but I didn't find all that much. Is there a website with such a thing?
I know how to diagnose the IMRC on my 96 Cobra, which is a good start, but I'd like to know more especially on how to check MAF; how to compare stock vs bama tune (what has changed? is it a safe change?); and more importantly how to check the catalytic converter (I think I lost some power and my exhaust is quieter than it used to, so I am suspecting the cats, but I am not sure how to check them with a tuner)).

That being said, a sticky with the most common ways to diagnose your car with a tuner would be great on that forum for any newbie.

Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can use the handheld to check and clear DTC's (Data Trouble Codes). It can also be used as a pass through to datalog using SCT's Livelink. That's how you would check your MAF. You'll need a seperate wideband to check and compare the A/F change. AFAIK you can't check a cat with a tuner. At least not on our cars. You'll have to actually remove it and check it out.

hades_1

Established Member
Ok thanks, I didn't know about the cats. That sucks.
Yeah, I have been using Livelink, and it's working great, but I am not sure what to look for exactly, which is why I was wondering if there was some guides on how to use LiveLink to troubleshoot our cars.

eg: to check the IMRC functions properly: get RPM, imrc bank 1 and 2 and if they get around/ under 200 when the RPM goes above 3400 RPMs (IMRC are open) and around 1000 when the RPMs drop (IMRC are closed).
Things like that.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You just have to select the PIDs you want to watch. Which is going to change depending on what you want to troubleshoot. For tuning I watch MAF counts, FP duty cycle, spark source, spark advance, STFT's, RPM, and I have a wideband hooked up so I can watch A/F under WOT. I have other things I watch like battery volts and idle integer just to keep an eye on things.

hades_1

Established Member
Yes, I think I am getting which data I need to collect, more or less. What I am not sure what to do is how to interpret this data and what they actually mean.
I guess I could post some screenshots and ask peoples to help me understand all this...

Users who are viewing this thread