using dry ice to cool down.....

oldmodman

Established Member
Steve, many years ago I worked on a Streamliner that was run at Bonneville.
And we used 20 pounds of dry ice per run. The water to air intercooler system was actually filled with Methanol and the Methanol was chilled with 20 pounds of dry ice per run.
The liner would leave the line with the methanol about 25 degrees below zero and when the temperature was measured at the twelve mile turn off it was usually around 90 degrees.
And the capacity of the coolant tank was 40 gallons.
There were two reasons for going with Methanol. Dry ice could not freeze it. And if the intercooler blew open any methanol that went into the engines would just be burned as an overly rich mixture.
Wouldn't hurt the engine at all.

XCSEDAN

Established Member
oldmodman is onto it.
his method is still what is used today in a lot of top end cars.

far better off using a killer chiller setup.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Yup, oldmodman has it. When i worked in a research lab, it was better to supercool samples with dry ice in methanol. The alcohol doesnt freeze like water does.

Drop dry ice into water and it will eventually form an insulating shell of ice, so the water doesnt get any colder than dumping ice cubes into it.

Drop dry ice in alcohol, however, can give you almost instant frostbite on exposed fingers...

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I have seen one person in the past go with a dual tank setup that I want to copy. It was a stock location upgraded tank, along with a battery location tank. in the battery location tank, he ran a copper tube, coiled a few times. this was the tank where he filled with ice.

So he would circulate the fluid in the pits between passes, and before a run fill the battery tank with ice to cool the copper tube that the fluid ran through. This way, the system is never overfilled.

Users who are viewing this thread