Using BC\CC as touch up paint

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I recently bought a quart of sonic blue basecoat and a gallon of clear to finish a couple of custom fiberglass sub enclosures I am making for my car. It got me to thinking while I was looking at a few rock chips on my ride. Has anyone used a dab of basecoat followed by a touch of clear to cover these? I don't want to refinish the whole hood just yet. I didn't buy PPG so I'm not sure the long term quality of the clear. Anyone done this? How did it turn out?
Thanks, Lee

flamedstang95

Gettin' Dirty
Established Member
You can use that just fine. It'd take a real small brush though, like a nail polish brush. Your local auto zone should sell touch up paint in Ford Sonic Blue for 7-8 bucks if you feel more comfortable with that.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
As Flame said...thats perfectly fine to use. The touch up paint you generally get at auto stores is nothing more than a basecoat clearcoat mixture. If you do yours probably you almost blend them into the paint.

flamedstang95

Gettin' Dirty
Established Member
As Flame said...thats perfectly fine to use. The touch up paint you generally get at auto stores is nothing more than a basecoat clearcoat mixture. If you do yours probably you almost blend them into the paint.

Great idea TransAxle, never thought of blending the two. What would be a good ratio? 1:1, 2:1, or 1:2?

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Great idea TransAxle, never thought of blending the two. What would be a good ratio? 1:1, 2:1, or 1:2?

Really hard to say when it comes to something like that. I would just do an ounce to an ounce and test an area and see how it turns out. Or use the baseboat to touch up and area then touch up the basecoat with clear and try to blend the clear in.

Users who are viewing this thread