Using a Pistol on My Property for Self Defense at 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Any knowledgable advice will be appreciated.

First off I'd like to say that no, I'm not blood thirsty nor do I ever want this situation to ever happen.

It should also be noted that I'm 18.

I'm like my father and have some sleeping problems. I normally wake up sometime during the night and can't go back to sleep. I find myself going to my back yard to catch some fresh air and walk around to try and feel drowsy again.

Also, I've been having problems with criminals jumping my fence and running through my back yard after breaking into neighbor's houses and cars. The first time my mother and I were woken up at 0300 to several squad cars in front of my house and several police officers ringing my doorbell. The neighbor's car right next to me was robbed, and my neighbor said he saw them hop my fence and take off through my back yard.

With my father being out of the country more than he is in, this sat heavily on my mind, and I know it shouldn't be that way. Ever since when my father is gone I don't stay out late at night with friends. I'm home just in case I need to be for my mom's sake.

Like I've stated in another thread, I'm more trained with my AR than any other firearm I own. But, whenever I go outside late at night, I find myself feeling more comfortable bringing my 1911 with me rather than my AR. It has night sights and my back yard is sort of small so there's no real need to carry a bulked-out AR while I walk around.

My question is, being only 18, am I legally allowed to use deadly force via my 1911 should the event ever occur? My only reason for this question is that I am not legally allowed to purchase a pistol at 18.

Also, I am aware that being a citizen in TN, I'm protected under Castle Law. Does having an intruder running through my back yard while I'm out there by myself provide grounds for the use of deadly force? Do I have to first identify a weapon, or is the simple fact that somebody is trespassing on my property in the wee hours of the morning which suggests that sed intruder is not there for good intentions? I'm not saying that I'm gonna duck and cover then shoot anybody in the back, but with where I walk the intruder would have to be coming straight at me to run straight through my back yard, and it would definitely seem like he/she is coming towards me which would definitely make not only mine, but more importantly my mother's life, in danger.

Once again I'm not some paranoid freak just waiting for the chance to put my training to use. In fact, I hope that day never comes. But, I've got to accept the reality that nobody has guaranteed safety, even on their own property, and that there have been intruders on my property before - whether or not they were armed, I'm not sure. Either way, when my father is out of the country, I feel it is my duty to be the protector of the household.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
If its in a fenced in yard just put up a wire at neck level and call it a day. Put one item of clothing on it so you can say it's for laundry.

Sent at 200 mph

Last edited:

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Get a guard dog. Shoot when you fear for your safety. You of course wouldn't shoot if the trespasser was only fleeing through your yard with no risk to your well being. Or would you?

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Deadly force is authorized regardless of age if you or family members were in danger of bodily harm or death.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Running through your backyard and you put rounds down range you COULD find some trouble.

Some things to think about, a cop, kid just being a kid, a man looking for his dog, a elderly man that walked away from the nursing home could all come over the fence, and you just want to "shoot them" for that? Or what if it's a cop looking for said criminal and you come out so scared you can't even lock on and you end up on the business end of a cops gun and you die in your boxers on the back deck..

I am 23(Today actually) and I have a M&P 15, Sig 1911 and my 870 in my room. I have a glock 22 with a TLR1 in my night stand and carry a Kahr PM9 everday and sitting at your computer, talking about going to deadly force is simple, it really is but when its game day and you pull that gun you better be ready.

I like to keep a "defense" mindset in my home, run through my yard, break in my car...it's insured and WAY less of a headache then dumping a person in my back yard. My goal is to walk, talk and if non of them work and deadly force is my LAST resort I will use it. Home is the same way, stand at my back door with a brick and I will call 911, now throw it through the door and enter and you have earned the ride.

Think it out man, take some classes. I have taken several carbine classes, pistol classes, active shooter class and many more. I promise you deadly force should be the LAST move....

Last edited:

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Get a guard dog. Shoot when you fear for your safety. You of course wouldn't shoot if the trespasser was only fleeing through your yard with no risk to your well being. Or would you?

Like I said with my backyard being set up the way it is, there's only one way you can run, and that's straight at me.

To answer your question: how am I suppose to know that this person is only fleeing? If I'm out there at 0300 and see somebody running straight for me, you're damn right I'm pulling that trigger.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Like I said with my backyard being set up the way it is, there's only one way you can run, and that's straight at me.

To answer your question: how am I suppose to know that this person is only fleeing? If I'm out there at 0300 and see somebody running straight for me, you're damn right I'm pulling that trigger.

What are you doing standing in the middle of your yard at 0300 anyway?

oneslo5.0

Established Member

And you could find yourself locked up or dead.....

"OMG SOMEONE BROKE IN MY HOUSE AND IS BEATING MY FATHER TO DEATH LET ME RUN NEXT DOOR AND GET HELP!"

Playing Call of Duty and killing someone is WAY different then cracking 3 rounds off into a real life human. Go defensive, get in the house, if the threat comes STILL then "pull that trigger" rambo.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Running through your backyard and you put rounds down range you COULD find some trouble.

Some things to think about, a cop, kid just being a kid, a man looking for his dog, a elderly man that walked away from the nursing home could all come over the fence, and you just want to "shoot them" for that? Or what if it's a cop looking for said criminal and you come out so scared you can't even lock on and you end up on the business end of a cops gun and you die in your boxers on the back deck..

I am 23(Today actually) and I have a M&P 15, Sig 1911 and my 870 in my room. I have a glock 22 with a TLR1 in my night stand and carry a Kahr PM9 everday and sitting at your computer, talking about going to deadly force is simple, it really is but when its game day and you pull that gun you better be ready.

I like to keep a "defense" mindset in my home, run through my yard, break in my car...it's insured and WAY less of a headache then dumping a person in my back yard. My goal is to walk, talk and if non of them work and deadly force is my LAST resort I will use it. Home is the same way, stand at my back door with a brick and I will call 911, now throw it through the door and enter and you have earned the ride.

Think it out man, take some classes. I have taken several carbine classes, pistol classes, active shooter class and many more. I promise you deadly force should be the LAST move....

I put over 8,000 rounds and hundreds of range time hours in last summer with my AR alone. This included setting up many reloading drills, malfunction drills, running drills, ambidextrous drills, varying shooting position drills, etc. I am very good with an AR platform.

Like I said I'm not out to shoot anybody, and if my back yard was different and a person could flee in another direction other than head-on at me, I would call 911 and no shots would be fired on my part. But the second you're on a course heading straight for me, things change and my life is now in danger.

It seems like you suspect I have no sense of judgement and that I've never been put in a situation similar to this, and I have. I have had to pull a firearm on a group of people who had bad intentions when I was by myself but that's beside the point I'm trying to make.

The point I'm making is this: I can spot a potential threat, and I can spot a false alarm. No I'm not gonna shoot an elderly man that's hobbling through my back yard! You surely had to have been joking about that one. Nowhere in my OP did I say that I'm going to shoot anybody and everybody that enters my yard without permission. I'm not blood thirsty.

I only made this thread to see if it was illegal for me to use a pistol on my own property since I'm only 18 and cannot buy one.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
And you could find yourself locked up or dead.....

"OMG SOMEONE BROKE IN MY HOUSE AND IS BEATING MY FATHER TO DEATH LET ME RUN NEXT DOOR AND GET HELP!"

Playing Call of Duty and killing someone is WAY different then cracking 3 rounds off into a real life human. Go defensive, get in the house, if the threat comes STILL then "pull that trigger" rambo.

Jesus Christ why don't you just put words in my mouth and thoughts in my head?

I said SEVERAL times that I don't want to have to pull the trigger on anybody. I don't have a "Rambo" mentality.

Go defensive? Get in the house? There is a pool that separates me from my back door. This is why I said that the way my back yard is laid out, there really isn't a way to run except straight for me.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
I put over 8,000 rounds and hundreds of range time hours in last summer with my AR alone. This included setting up many reloading drills, malfunction drills, running drills, ambidextrous drills, varying shooting position drills, etc. I am very good with an AR platform.

Like I said I'm not out to shoot anybody, and if my back yard was different and a person could flee in another direction other than head-on at me, I would call 911 and no shots would be fired on my part. But the second you're on a course heading straight for me, things change and my life is now in danger.

It seems like you suspect I have no sense of judgement and that I've never been put in a situation similar to this, and I have. I have had to pull a firearm on a group of people who had bad intentions when I was by myself but that's beside the point I'm trying to make.

The point I'm making is this: I can spot a potential threat, and I can spot a false alarm. No I'm not gonna shoot an elderly man that's hobbling through my back yard! You surely had to have been joking about that one. Nowhere in my OP did I say that I'm going to shoot anybody and everybody that enters my yard without permission. I'm not blood thirsty.

I only made this thread to see if it was illegal for me to use a pistol on my own property since I'm only 18 and cannot buy one.
Well you carry a pistol at 18...that is illegal so be thankful you didn't us it on "that group"

This is your life, shoot everyone coming in that back yard rambo! You go!

Food for thought, my father wears a hoodie, desert tan 5.11 pants, and boots, he comes over your fence at 0300....

Is he a cop or is he a criminal? Come on, you have less then a second to make this decision killer.....his vest is a carrier vest that only says "POLICE" on the BACK....

My point, you ARE making poor choices by carrying a weapon without knowing when to use it. But shoot someone that is in a diabetic shock looking for help and lose every last thing your parents have worked for in civil court, rambo.

I could care less what you do, you are a 18 year old hard head, don't ask for advise if you get sad when the answer isn't what you want.

Good luck killer.

Last edited:

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Jesus Christ why don't you just put words in my mouth and thoughts in my head?

I said SEVERAL times that I don't want to have to pull the trigger on anybody. I don't have a "Rambo" mentality.

Go defensive? Get in the house? There is a pool that separates me from my back door. This is why I said that the way my back yard is laid out, there really isn't a way to run except straight for me.
This gives you PLENTY of time to understand a threat, and get inside.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Well you carry a pistol at 18...that is illegal so be thankful you didn't us it on "that group"

This is your life, shoot everyone coming in that back yard rambo! You go!

Food for thought, my father wears a hoodie, desert tan 5.11 pants, and boots, he comes over your fence at 0300....

Is he a cop or is he a criminal? Come on, you have less then a second to make this decision killer.....his vest is a carrier vest that only says "POLICE" on the BACK....

My point, you ARE making poop choices by carrying a weapon without knowing when to use it. But shoot someone that is in a diabetic shock looking for help and lose every last thing your parents have worked for in civil court, rambo.

I could care less what you do, you are a 18 year old hard head, don't ask for advise if you get sad when the answer isn't what you want.

Good luck killer.

You are way off base on this whole entire thing. For your information it was not a pistol. And I rarely have this firearm in my vehicle.

Why are you calling me a "killer" and "rambo" when I repeatedly say that I'm not going to do anything but call the cops unless I feel my life in danger?

Did you read anything I just wrote?

I'm not "sad" because I didn't get the answer I wanted. I'm agitated because you obviously ignored everything I wrote and want to define me as "killer" and "rambo" because I choose to defend myself.

neatofrito1618

Established Member

Sounds like you've watched one too many Jason Statham movies.

dirtydave289

Established Member

Invest in a flashlight so you can gather more intel than "someone is running at me"

Did he have a gun? "Well I couldn't see very well"
Did he have a knife? "Well..I couldn't tell"
Did he have a bat? "I'm not sure I just shot him because he was running at me"

Oh, he was a 14 year old who just egged a house with his buddies and took off through your back yard.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
This gives you PLENTY of time to understand a threat, and get inside.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING.

Not one time did I say that I'm shooting everybody that goes into my back yard. I can identify a threat. An old man hobbling through my back yard is no threat, and I know that. There are several seconds where I can tell the person to identify his/herself. If after that there is no reply and he/she is still running straight for me, does Castle Law give me the right to use deadly force? THAT'S THE SITUATION I WAS IMPOSING! NOT CAN I SHOOT THIS OLD MAN WALKING THROUGH MY BACK YARD.

Quit acting like I'm some "hot head" who wants to shoot everybody. That's not me.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Invest in a flashlight so you can gather more intel than "someone is running at me"

Did he have a gun? "Well I couldn't see very well"
Did he have a knife? "Well..I couldn't tell"
Did he have a bat? "I'm not sure I just shot him because he was running at me"

Oh, he was a 14 year old who just egged a house with his buddies and took off through your back yard.

Oh so I'm suppose to wait until he/she is in my face and ask them if they have a weapon before I have the right to defend myself? That's ridiculous.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
You are way off base on this whole entire thing. For your information it was not a pistol. And I rarely have this firearm in my vehicle.

Why are you calling me a "killer" and "rambo" when I repeatedly say that I'm not going to do anything but call the cops unless I feel my life in danger?

Did you read anything I just wrote?

I'm not "sad" because I didn't get the answer I wanted. I'm agitated because you obviously ignored everything I wrote and want to define me as "killer" and "rambo" because I choose to defend myself.
I read it all, and I have WAY more knowledge in the field then you. I am giving you 100 different ways this could go wrong for you, but you being the hard head you are makes you not want to hear it.

A special needs teenage is RUNNING at you, its 0300, dark and you have less then 4 SECONDS to put this all together, lock on, get your weapon out and click a round off.

You have just killed a 14 year old, special needs child that can't speak but was woken up from his sleep to find a man in his house has already killed his dad and is now chocking his mother to death and was doing what he was taught by running "next door" for help.

Good luck in court.

Or, see someone running for you, you get inside and call 911 and this kid knocks on the door crying. The police show up and put the story together...

Let's be clear, I LOVE guns - own ALOT, I carry every single day, I am a HUGE gun advocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread