Used Cobra questions

rage_svt

Established Member
I got my 04 Cobra not that long ago, and I thought everything was stock.... well it turns out no. There are signs the a intake of some sort was on the car at one point (and not installed very well cause there's screw holes on the inside of the fender). Now I'm starting to worry, so I have a car fax done on the car.... with 13k on the car, it has 3 owners before me :eek: . So now I'm feeling down right sick, why would this car change so many hands? Is there something uber $$ wrong? I guess my questions to you guys is:

1. Is there anyway to find out if the was ever a non stock pulley on the car?

2. Since this is the only Cobra I have ever driven, I am now worried that it may be running poorly (even though it feels great to me), and have a day next week that I'm taking her to the local dyno shop. If the dyno comes out good, does that give a clean bill of health?

Any input would be awesome, I really love this car so far, but her background is starting to scare me :( .

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
There's never really a way to tell the history of the vehicle. One of my friends bought an 03 Cobra and drove it for about 2 months and had a spark plug blow out of the cylinder head all because the previous owner didn't screw it in good. Cost him $4K to fix as it was denied warranty due to being pullied.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Normally you run a Carfax before you decide to purchase. I'd think 3 owners in as many years could be something to be curious about.

As far as drill holes in the fenderwell, that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a CAI preference.

The dyno results won't give you a clean bill of health, just a snapshot of your current power levels for that day at that time (if nothing goes wrong, like detonation or a lean condition).

I'd suggest getting it to a tuner and have them check it out first, then have a proper tune put on it. Than you can have a small sense of relief, but with these power monsters, anything can go at any time. Good luck to you and have fun.

rage_svt

Established Member
PonyFever said:
Normally you run a Carfax before you decide to purchase. I'd think 3 owners in as many years could be something to be curious about.

As far as drill holes in the fenderwell, that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a CAI preference.

The dyno results won't give you a clean bill of health, just a snapshot of your current power levels for that day at that time (if nothing goes wrong, like detonation or a lean condition).

I'd suggest getting it to a tuner and have them check it out first, then have a proper tune put on it. Than you can have a small sense of relief, but with these power monsters, anything can go at any time. Good luck to you and have fun.

Cool, thanks for the heads up guys. I guess I got into this project wanting big power, I just wanted to control the flow of the build. Guess I'll just have to look at anything breaking (no matter how major) as a chance to upgrade. As for luck, sounds like I'll need all that I can get LOL. Look for my dyno numbers next week......

Users who are viewing this thread