Used car purchase: dealership versus indepedent big lot type

EB85

Established Member
By big lot type I mean your Car Sense/CarMax those kind of places. Places that sell everything but have no OEM backing. Background: I'm looking to trade my Legacy for a newer Subaru and have it pretty much narrowed down to a Crosstrek. There's 3 I'm interested in. One that's CPO at a Subaru dealer but I HATE the chain it's a part of. The service and parts departments are run by the most incompetent idiots you can fathom. But they are also the cheapest of the 3 by maybe $1000. Another one is at a Buick and Cadillac dealer. That one has about 12k miles where the others are between 20-23k. The last is at a Car Sense which, coincidentally, my old man bought his 3V from. He had no complaints on his deal. All 3 cars are within about $2500 of each other. Given the options, where would you go? Do you tough it up and deal with the crappy dealer? Obviously a big deciding factor is who gets me the best trade and finance option but would you be swayed one way or another if they were fairly equal?

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I would just go look at the one you like the color and equipment the best. If your not happy with the trade In and rate go to the next one. CPO is a nice option as the vehicle most likely been looked at by a Subaru tech that knows the cars well.....also the CPO process is probably more thorough than what a Carmax does. I am a sales manager at a Subaru so Its possible I would be biased towards going to a Subaru dealership to get your car as I am familiar with their CPO process.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EB85

Established Member
I would just go look at the one you like the color and equipment the best. If your not happy with the trade In and rate go to the next one. CPO is a nice option as the vehicle most likely been looked at by a Subaru tech that knows the cars well.....also the CPO process is probably more thorough than what a Carmax does. I am a sales manager at a Subaru so Its possible I would be biased towards going to a Subaru dealership to get your car as I am familiar with their CPO process.

Here's the thing: all are the same color and same trim level. I do like the idea of the CPO. I just hate that specific dealer chain.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
One with CPO. Based on the info at hand.

Buy the car, have it serviced elsewhere when needed.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Always a tough one. If they really are $1,000 cheaper than everyone else then it may be a old age unit they are trying to sell. Only thing wrong with that is they may try to make the money back on your trade in.

oldmodman

Established Member
Get the low mileage one. And grind them down on price until you match the ones with more than twice the mileage.

This is assuming that all three have similar equipment and are all in never crashed, perfect condition.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
CPO from a dealer of which brand you are purchasing.

CPO process is pretty stringent, cars can only have certain mileage, be a certain age, no accidents on title, etc. Also make sure with the others that Subie warranty covers second owner, iirc some brands the second owner is SOL unless its undergone CPO to be certified and maintain original warranty, other brands half their warranty for the second owner.

Users who are viewing this thread