USAF questions

usaf_eagle

Established Member
Whatever you do, make sure you get a contract stating that you're going in the career field you chose. Recruiters have done some shady things in the past just to meet their quota. I was promised an F-117 avionics job after basic. But I ended up getting a great job, and cross-trained into an even better job later.

Last edited:

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
hey jjackson, i am currnetly in the Army, if i was you i would look at all your options, dont limit yourself to one branch. i have nothing agaisnt the AF but every branch has there pro's and con's. when i originally went to MEPS i was told that there are only X number of jobs open and so i said i dont want to sign, magically after that there was my job and a bonus. MEPS will always try to fill the needs of the military first. you have a nice score and should use this to your advantage. get the job you want.

i have a friend that works with me but he was orignally a loadmaster, he likes his job now better, please dont think this is me trying to recruit you as i dont mind it you go AF Navy Army etc. i only advise to think the choice and job through carefully becasue it is a long commitment once your in. just make sure you get what you want and it is in writing when you get it. i hope you enjoy, i have been in the Army for almost six years and love many things about it.

Whats your MOS? I've been looking at the Air Force like the OP and also the Army recently but everyone tells me to go air force. A guy I work with who had 22 years of National Guard (not AD i know) but he tells me to go navy or airforce since i would have an easier time there. that's where i am confused about what to do now since everyone says air force but i dont want to limit options

sorry for hijacking thread
lets send it back over to the OP

korizmo

I like Lamp
Established Member
1N031 intell Appl if you want to stick around working on/with computers. I'm a 3D0X2 and I administer servers/workstations. Seen some cool things that 1N1's get to do/see.

Last edited:

falke401

Established Member
It looks like you have a good list of jobs. I would NOT go in as a crew chief. About 95% of all the crew chiefs I have met hate their jobs and life. At my base, they pretty much work at least 11 hour days and weekends all the time. It also depends on what base you are at.

JJackson

Established Member
Whats your MOS? I've been looking at the Air Force like the OP and also the Army recently but everyone tells me to go air force. A guy I work with who had 22 years of National Guard (not AD i know) but he tells me to go navy or airforce since i would have an easier time there. that's where i am confused about what to do now since everyone says air force but i dont want to limit options

sorry for hijacking thread
lets send it back over to the OP

hijack away. i originally made this post so hopeully other peoples questions would be answered as well, im here to obtain as much info as i possibly can. ive already done hundreds of hours worth of research on jobs i may possibly want to do, ive talked to someone in every career field ive listed, as you can see this wasnt just an overnight commitment. i chose air force over the others, as i wanted to travel, wanted to get on a plane for my job, and this was the best service that fit my needs.

And i was told i had to list an open spot at the end of all my choices, otherwise i wouldnt be sent to meps. as far as people reading if you list open general that you WILL be a cop, from what ive researched that is completely false. To make a long story short. in the 2nd and 3rd week of basic you meet with a job counselor, they lay out what the air force needs are at the time, you list 5 choices, if you dont put down cop on there, you wont get cop, simple as that, i will search for the link and post it when i find it.

edit, found it. this may help a lot of people out with the open general question
[ame="http://www.afforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27676"]Once and for all...how Open General works..... - Air Force Enlisted Forums[/ame]

Last edited:

Storm_jordan

Established Member
1A731 Aerial gunner
2. 1A231 A/c loadmaster
3. 1A031 in flight refueling
5. 1C131 ATC

i listed all of these at meps..... in july. So far i have only been offered a mx job, but everybody i know in the air force tells me to just wait it out for an aircrew job.

JJackson

Established Member
1A731 Aerial gunner
2. 1A231 A/c loadmaster
5. 1C131 ATC

i listed all of these at meps..... in july. So far i have only been offered a mx job, but everybody i know in the air force tells me to just wait it out for an aircrew job.

ive heard that as well, i was told a 5 month wait, i may go in open and hope to get a slot from there, as i was told i have a better chance shipping faster and i will have a list of about 20 or so jobs i can chose in basic once i get there

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
The truth of the matter is that aircrew career fields are usually critically manned. They hold seminars for recruitment that at times for me have been mandatory to attend. You don't have to cross train like you do in other career fields (you can but don't have to) to attain a flight crew job. Toss in your app and if you qualify you will be picked. JJackson, don't do what you just said and go in hoping for your 20 career field choices, they could all stink still! Read what you posted about how going in open works and see why it may be a bad idea. Wait for a job you want and then take it.

You haven't signed any paper work right? If no, tell the recruiter you are thinking of going in the Navy instead and see what jobs may magically become available. Worth a try I think.

JJackson

Established Member
The truth of the matter is that aircrew career fields are usually critically manned. They hold seminars for recruitment that at times for me have been mandatory to attend. You don't have to cross train like you do in other career fields (you can but don't have to) to attain a flight crew job. Toss in your app and if you qualify you will be picked. JJackson, don't do what you just said and go in hoping for your 20 career field choices, they could all stink still! Read what you posted about how going in open works and see why it may be a bad idea. Wait for a job you want and then take it.

You haven't signed any paper work right? If no, tell the recruiter you are thinking of going in the Navy instead and see what jobs may magically become available. Worth a try I think.

i have NOT signed anything yet. from my understanding all that happens at MEPS for guaranteed spots

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I was promoted to Admiral of the Fail Fleet yesterday for many outstanding fails during the day. But you would surpass me and go straight to Chief of Fail of the Fail Navy if you enlisted open general...

Pardon my analogy, but seriously waiting 5 months to 1 year for a job you want is much better than 4 years of a job you hate and not even picking it...

yelostang

Established Member
1A731 Aerial gunner
2. 1A231 A/c loadmaster
5. 1C131 ATC

My old roommate, and very good friend, is an aerial gunner on an AC-130 and he loves it...if you have any questions about it let me know and I'll ask him.

Edit: My stepdad was a loadmaster as well so I can help out there too.

Users who are viewing this thread