USAF questions

JJackson

Established Member
i am 20 years old and have been thinking about joining the Air force, ive talked with a recuriter a couple times, but i like things straight up and from people with experience in the job feilds. I got an 88 on the ASVAB, and im open to just about any MOS, but i dont want to go in as open. I currently have just about 2.5 years of college done as a computer science major. what im looking for in joining the Air Force is to travel the world, i want to go anywhere and everywhere as im young and single and want to have the time of my life. What would be a good MOS to try to get so i am able to do this?

THE_STIG

Established Member
Crew Chief, we go everywhere and its the best worst job in the world.

However if you want to "have the time of your life" I'd say go Loadmaster or Boom Operator

JJackson

Established Member
Crew Chief, we go everywhere and its the best worst job in the world.

However if you want to "have the time of your life" I'd say go Loadmaster or Boom Operator

how likely is it to get slotted as a load master or boom operator? those both sound like what im looking for

SVT4ME

Established Member
When I was in you could reserve your position. That meant you'd have to wait until it your position was available which meant you'd have to wait up to a year. However, if you messed up in basic you could lose that position. I was a 3E1X1 HVAC Tech and was in an Air Control Sq, RED HORSE and CE during my twenty. Did alot of traveling with RED HORSE and the MOB. Always think about how marketable you carrer field is so when you do retire you can continue on the outstide. My last tour with CE I did SABRE Construciton and followed that up in RED HORSE for 5 years doing mobile construction and had a blast.

markw351

Established Member
DO NOT go in open. You could end up security forces or some other job you don't want. Crew chief's do go everywhere but be ready to work your butt off, whether your home station or TDY. Like said above...loadmaster or boomer. Although if you come in as a crew chief then you could always cross train into a flight engineer. Any time you can be part of the aircrew you will certainly get treated alot better than maintenance. Trust me, 18 1/2 years in aircraft maintenance i have seen the benifits they get first hand.

Last edited:

Marc

Established Member
If you want to chat on the phone sometime, PM me. I am currently stationed overseas. I am a Chief Master Sergeant (E9) in the Air Force, been in 26 years.

JJackson

Established Member
so i visted with a recruiter and she told me i need to lose 10 pounds in order to go MEPS. Right now im 6'4" 218 lbs and she wants me down to 208, which isnt a big deal, i should be there in a week or so. Anyways, when going to MEPS how important is it to disclose everything. i had asmtha as a kid and its never effected me, ive been able to run 10 miles a day without being winded. I've read mix reviews on this as i dont want to have to go through all the work to get a medic waiver if i dont have to, some people will say if it doesnt effect you dont tell. now i know recruiters will tell you to tell your whole medical history. any suggestions?

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
Pretend you don't even know what the word Asthma is, it is an automatic disqualifier and I know they say there is a waiver for everything, but not that.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Pretend you don't even know what the word Asthma is, it is an automatic disqualifier and I know they say there is a waiver for everything, but not that.

Ditto. Tell them nothing.

Since you have some college under your belt, have you looked into ROTC?

JJackson

Established Member
whelp heres a little update. i finally go to MEPS thursday after the recruiter got my ASVAB scores sent to him and i made weight. he told me to have 7 jobs lined up and he gave me a sheet to pick from with what the AF needs are right now. the ones ive chosen are

1. 1A731 Aerial gunner
2. 1A231 A/c loadmaster
3. 1A031 in flight refueling
4. 1A431 Airborne Operations
5. 1C131 ATC
6. 1N031 intell Appl
7. 1N231 Signals intell prod
8. either open general or open mechanical

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
whelp heres a little update. i finally go to MEPS thursday after the recruiter got my ASVAB scores sent to him and i made weight. he told me to have 7 jobs lined up and he gave me a sheet to pick from with what the AF needs are right now. the ones ive chosen are

1. 1A731 Aerial gunner
2. 1A231 A/c loadmaster
5. 1C131 ATC
6. 1N031 intell Appl

good choices from what I researched. would stay away from open general though from what others tell me.
I too am looking into the military and I was stuck on Army but I am branching out and looking at more options, right now I am deciding between enlisting Air Force or ROTC and be commisioned in the ARMY.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
good choices from what I researched. would stay away from open general though from what others tell me.
I too am looking into the military and I was stuck on Army but I am branching out and looking at more options, right now I am deciding between enlisting Air Force or ROTC and be commisioned in the ARMY.

From what I read all AD members have to list an open field.
Reserves you get to pick your job.

FORD4U

Established Member
hey jjackson, i am currnetly in the Army, if i was you i would look at all your options, dont limit yourself to one branch. i have nothing agaisnt the AF but every branch has there pro's and con's. when i originally went to MEPS i was told that there are only X number of jobs open and so i said i dont want to sign, magically after that there was my job and a bonus. MEPS will always try to fill the needs of the military first. you have a nice score and should use this to your advantage. get the job you want.

i have a friend that works with me but he was orignally a loadmaster, he likes his job now better, please dont think this is me trying to recruit you as i dont mind it you go AF Navy Army etc. i only advise to think the choice and job through carefully becasue it is a long commitment once your in. just make sure you get what you want and it is in writing when you get it. i hope you enjoy, i have been in the Army for almost six years and love many things about it.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
i am 20 years old and have been thinking about joining the Air force, ive talked with a recuriter a couple times, but i like things straight up and from people with experience in the job feilds. I got an 88 on the ASVAB, and im open to just about any MOS, but i dont want to go in as open. I currently have just about 2.5 years of college done as a computer science major. what im looking for in joining the Air Force is to travel the world, i want to go anywhere and everywhere as im young and single and want to have the time of my life. What would be a good MOS to try to get so i am able to do this?

Boom operator. Hands down. Those who dont know, please dont laugh or deter this advice. I have only been in 5 years as a cop, but NEVER have i heard anyone say anything but " I love my job, and i feel like i have the best job in the air force". Seriously, there may be other jobs that are more "cool" or prestigious, but being a boom operator, you WILL fly all over, have a laid back job...literally you lay down. HA.

no but really.....every operator i have met, has just been a happy, outgoing and friendly person who said " i dont get why more people dont do this."

From the sounds of it, it may suit you. Dont join the military to do a desk job....you will get bored ( although the AF is a lot of paperwork)

Just my .02!! Good luck and congrats on your decision!

TwoTone5oh

Established Member

1. 1A731 Aerial gunner
2. 1A231 A/c loadmaster
5. 1C131 ATC
6. 1N031 intell Appl

That is a good list of jobs. I have been in the AF for 9 years now as a machinist/welder. I love my job, but if I was ever to consider crosstraining it would be into loadmaster or in flight refueling. if you are going loadmaster you want to try and get on the C-17.

also when I joined I only had my job on the list. I ended up waiting about 4 months for it to open but I got it. If you have open general on your list that will be the first place MEPS will go and you will probably end up a cop. drop the opens off your list!! if you absolutely have to have an open, do open mechanical. they will probably give you crew chief. good luck and the AF is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread