USA Today has a write up on GT-H

PJM99

Established Member
330 HP, Limited number are to be built and they haven't decided on rates yet. They will be auctioned off to the public in 2007.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
PJM99 said:
330 HP, Limited number are to be built and they haven't decided on rates yet. They will be auctioned off to the public in 2007.
Did they mention if it will have the 4.6 or the 5.4?

Edit, never mind.. its a 325hp 4.6 with the Ford performance kit.

Last edited:

mr-mstng

Established Member
PJM99 said:

500 to be built

~$100/day

Auctioned off to Dealers.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
mr-mstng said:
...and GM doesn't with the 5.7? :rollseyes

Only difference is that 4.6 in the GT Mustang makes maybe 265 RWHP if it is lucky. Before this the PI 4.6's made 215RWHP, and the Pre PI 4.6 made on average of 195RWHP. It shouldn't take a damn blower for the 4.6 to suddenly become a real performer. 305 HP with only 280 of that making it to the rear wheels on the Mach 1 is a shame. And so were the pre 2003 Cobras. What is worse is that the LS1's consistantly make between 300 all the way up to 335 HP to the rear wheels. A stock Z28 was just was fast as an SS and both would wax the floor with a pre 2003 Cobra and if driven well would hold their own against a stock 03-04. The difference between the two cars was about 200-250#'s and about 40 HP on average but price wise a Z28 can be had for the same price as a GT and will once again be going head to head with the stang. That along with the Challenger are the Mustangs competition and at this stage the competition is looking good and will be performing better.

If Ford wants to keep up they are going to have to build some lighter motors that aren't dependant on heavy power adders case in point the new GT-500. A 4100# Mustang is absurd, and so is this BS about it being so much more costly to produce aluminum blocks.

I am sorry but I am getting tired of Ford's penny pinching, it is starting to wear really thin with me and many others. These mod motors could have so much potential but Ford is showing that it is content to sit back and just get by.

Last edited:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
mr-mstng said:
...and GM doesn't with the 5.7? :rollseyes

And yes they do have a thing with their tree fiddy but that has been their halmark for nearly 50 years now.

As of now the LS1 is no longer inproduction and hasn't been since late 2004.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Whitten said:
Only difference is that 4.6 in the GT Mustang makes maybe 265 RWHP if it is lucky. Before this the PI 4.6's made 215RWHP, and the Pre PI 4.6 made on average of 195RWHP. It shouldn't take a damn blower for the 4.6 to suddenly become a real performer. 305 HP with only 280 of that making it to the rear wheels on the Mach 1 is a shame. And so were the pre 2003 Cobras. What is worse is that the LS1's consistantly make between 300 all the way up to 335 HP to the rear wheels. A stock Z28 was just was fast as an SS and both would wax the floor with a pre 2003 Cobra and if driven well would hold their own against a stock 03-04. The difference between the two cars was about 200-250#'s and about 40 HP on average but price wise a Z28 can be had for the same price as a GT and will once again be going head to head with the stang. That along with the Challenger are the Mustangs competition and at this stage the competition is looking good and will be performing better.

If Ford wants to keep up they are going to have to build some lighter motors that aren't dependant on heavy power adders case in point the new GT-500. A 4100# Mustang is absurd, and so is this BS about it being so much more costly to produce aluminum blocks.

I am sorry but I am getting tired of Ford's penny pinching, it is starting to wear really thin with me and many others. These mod motors could have so much potential but Ford is showing that it is content to sit back and just get by.

All they can do is penny pinch!!! You seen their stock price lately? $7 bucks and some small change. They either got to get with it or they're history. I don't think the governments going to bail them out like they did Chrysler. Those days are gone in a global economy and world full of better machines!

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
I know, and it really makes me mad because it isn't doing anyone any good except the people at the very top. Everyone from the stock holders all the way to us consumers are feeling this. With better and better competition and better and better quality it is going to become increasingly hard for Ford to get ahead. It seemed right after the release of the new mustang that they had thrust themselves on top...but I am starting to worry now.

I am no brand loyalist, I am however a lover of good automobiles...and I further more love competition, but the path that Ford is taking with these cars is not making them competitive.

Tony Alonso

Established Member
Whitten said:
305 HP with only 280 of that making it to the rear wheels on the Mach 1 is a shame. ... These mod motors could have so much potential but Ford is showing that it is content to sit back and just get by.

A rear wheel horsepower rating of 280 is around 320, assuming about 15% drivetrain loss in a manual transmission car. The Mach 1's torque comes in around 300 ft-lb to the rear, with the 340 at the flywheel. Those are reasonably stout numbers for 281 cubic inches of displacement and no forced induction.

I do think this should be a STARTING point power level for a Mustang GT.

There really aren't that many direct competitors yet. Things could be very different if a new Camaro and Challenger make it to the market.

Last edited:

Tony Alonso

Established Member
Whitten said:
and I further more love competition, but the path that Ford is taking with these cars is not making them competitive.

The current Mustang is competitive within its market segment. If it wasn't, it would not be produced anymore.

I hold out hope that stronger engines will make their way into future higher performing Mustangs around the time a new Camaro and Challenger appear. If not, then things will definitely be tough to maintain the current sales levels.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Tony Alonso said:
The current Mustang is competitive within its market segment. If it wasn't, it would not be produced anymore.

I hold out hope that stronger engines will make their way into future higher performing Mustangs around the time a new Camaro and Challenger appear. If not, then things will definitely be tough to maintain the current sales levels.

I hold out hope that stronger engines will make their way into future higher performing Mustangs around the time a new Camaro and Challenger appear. If not, then things will definitely be tough to maintain the current sales levels.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to break balls, but what competition? The new Mustangs are okay and selling well, but if you don't go rice, what else is there? I wonder how well they would be selling if the came out with the new car and there where Chargers or Camaro's that could be had. :shrug:

Last edited:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
What sells mustangs now, is what has always sold mustangs, the ability to buy V6 base models for a good price. True there is a following the performance department, but above and beyond that what keeps the mustang around are the girls who buy the v6's.

Competition is comming and when it hits I sure hope Ford is ready. If that GT isn't making atleast 315 HP to the rear wheels it is in for a world of hurt.
At 3500 #'s for a GT it needs to atleast be as fast as the 4th gen Camaro if not faster seeing as how it will be getting a 400 hp 5th gen Camaro soon.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Whitten said:

:shrug: 280rw corrected (I've seen as high as 290rw corrected bone stock) as previously stated is 330 flywheel HP (assuming a stick). There are more than a few stock longblock N/A Machs trapping 114-115mph in the quarter.
I'm not sure what planet you're living on to claim that a stock LS1 Z28 could "hold its own" vs. an 03/04? I'm also still looking for a bone stock LS1 F body that put down 335rw, LOL!
As far as properly allocating design funds goes, maybe the bowtie should have invested a tad less in their motors, and a shitload more in their build quality/interiors. Who knows, they may not have had to stop production?
As for the Challenger, again I think you missed the fact that it is also a fat PIG.
The only way Chevy got the Vette to be the featherweight it is via its dedicated and purpose designed platform. The Mustang has been and always will be built on what's available, same goes for the other Pony cars of the world.

You obviously haven't priced a T356 Al Chebby race block/C5R lately have you? At $2650 the GT block is a relative bargain. Those heavy power adders you readily dismiss are also the reason that a few bolt ons puts bus lengths on the competition.

Last edited:

Tony Alonso

Established Member
firemanmike said:
Not trying to break balls, but what competition? The new Mustangs are okay and selling well, but if you don't go rice, what else is there? I wonder how well they would be selling if the came out with the new car and there where Chargers or Camaro's that could be had. :shrug:

Other cars that muscle car enthusiasts would not consider as competition - Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX-8, Dodge Stratus, etc. They sell to the 2-door sports market.

I agree that Camaro and Challenger will put a dent in the sales volume of Mustangs in the future. Right now, and probably for the next 24+ months, those other cars are the only ones.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Tony Alonso said:
Other cars that muscle car enthusiasts would not consider as competition - Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX-8, Dodge Stratus, etc. They sell to the 2-door sports market.

I agree that Camaro and Challenger will put a dent in the sales volume of Mustangs in the future. Right now, and probably for the next 24+ months, those other cars are the only ones.

Tony, I did say "If you don't go rice, what else is there?" I know about these cars and thats the point I'm making. if you are a musclecar lover, Mustangs all thats left, for now :burnout:

Last edited:

Grenade

Banned
Whitten said:
What sells mustangs now, is what has always sold mustangs, the ability to buy V6 base models for a good price. True there is a following the performance department, but above and beyond that what keeps the mustang around are the girls who buy the v6's.

Competition is comming and when it hits I sure hope Ford is ready. If that GT isn't making atleast 315 HP to the rear wheels it is in for a world of hurt.
At 3500 #'s for a GT it needs to atleast be as fast as the 4th gen Camaro if not faster seeing as how it will be getting a 400 hp 5th gen Camaro soon.
I'll believe a new crapmaro when I see it. Assuming there is still a gm. in 5 years, when the new camaro debuts. Talk is cheap. Show me a challenger. havn't seen it either.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
:shrug: 280rw corrected (I've seen as high as 290rw corrected bone stock) as previously stated is 330 flywheel HP (assuming a stick). There are more than a few stock longblock N/A Machs trapping 114-115mph in the quarter.
I'm not sure what planet you're living on to claim that a stock LS1 Z28 could "hold its own" vs. an 03/04? I'm also still looking for a bone stock LS1 F body that put down 335rw, LOL!
As far as properly allocating design funds goes, maybe the bowtie should have invested a tad less in their motors, and a shitload more in their build quality/interiors. Who knows, they may not have had to stop production?
As for the Challenger, again I think you missed the fact that it is also a fat PIG.
The only way Chevy got the Vette to be the featherweight it is via its dedicated and purpose designed platform. The Mustang has been and always will be built on what's available, same goes for the other Pony cars of the world.

Once again, Fourcam is right. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread