US Mile prep suggestions

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
For those of you who have done one of the Mile events, I'm looking to hear some of your basic setups. Where did you mount your fire extinguisher and what brand/type did you find easiest to mount? I have a harness bar I can probably hang a bottle from, but wanting to hear some of your ideas.

Same with tires. I think I'll buy a new set of something before I run, but curious what brands people are going with. I'm not going to run a MPSS so what else have you guys used? I'd actually stick with the stock ones if they weren't 3 years old and had several track days on them.

Also, safety gear like gloves and helmets? Same thing. What brands/styles have you preferred. Thanks!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I ran in both 1/2-mile and a 1-mile events last year. My experience was...
- Fire Extinguisher not required for speeds under 200MPH
- I used a G-FORCE Pro Eliminator helmet
-- Shop around! Prices vary from place-to-place
-- Based on my experience, sizing "guidelines" are not always accurate
-- If possible, try on different size helmets to determine what's most comfortable for you
- A couple of us used RaceQuip 351005 351 Series Large Black SFI 3.3/1 One Layer Racing Gloves, with which we were also happy
-- Decision was made largely on price and availability, but they worked out well
- A long sleeve non-synthetic shirt and close-toed shoes are required
- Floor mats must be removed
- They suggested I remove the Go-Pro Camera mounted on the inside of my windshield (out of my field of vision), but allowed it to stay
- FWIW, I and two friends who also participated ran MPSS, with which we were all happy
-- I realize you said you're not interested in these tires, but figured I'd provide our experience with them
-- NO issues/problems to 170+ MPH

One of the things that concerned me most was deceleration. Both events offered ~1/2 mile in which to to so. After braking HARD while downshifting in my first pass at each event, I discovered the distance allotted was more than sufficient. I shifted to less aggressive braking but continued downshifting on subsequent passes.

Another thing you'll have to do is qualify for your US Mile license. Although initial information provided implied previous race experience might be recognized, it wasn't, unless it was in a US Mile event. Qualification for speeds up to 199MPH was earned by making your first pass with a trap speed (as I recall) of between 140MPH and 160MPH. Anything outside those limits required another attempt. Once you qualify, you can request an actual hard plastic license that's good at all US Mile venues.

HAVE FUN AND POST PICS/RESULTS!

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

If you're running in Arkansas or Texas there is plenty of shut down as opposed to the Colorado Mile which was dramatically shorter like Norton was referencing.

Hoosier Tire West is doing a 315/40/19 build of the Hoosier R7 tire in the near future. These are excellent for the mile but a bit pricey if you only intend to use them for Mile events. But they are nice and tall at 29" and approved by the US Mile/Texas Mile rules.

Van

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
-- If possible, try on different size helmets to determine what's most comfortable for you
- A couple of us used RaceQuip 351005 351 Series Large Black SFI 3.3/1 One Layer Racing Gloves, with which we were also happy
-- Decision was made largely on price and availability, but they worked out well
- They suggested I remove the Go-Pro Camera mounted on the inside of my windshield (out of my field of vision), but allowed it to stay
- FWIW, I and two friends who also participated ran MPSS, with which we were all happy
-- I realize you said you're not interested in these tires, but figured I'd provide our experience with them

One of the things that concerned me most was deceleration. Both events offered ~1/2 mile in which to to so. After braking HARD while downshifting in my first pass at each event, I discovered the distance allotted was more than sufficient. I shifted to less aggressive braking but continued downshifting on subsequent passes.

Another thing you'll have to do is qualify for your US Mile license. Although initial information provided implied previous race experience might be recognized, it wasn't, unless it was in a US Mile event. Qualification for speeds up to 199MPH was earned by making your first pass with a trap speed (as I recall) of between 140MPH and 160MPH. Anything outside those limits required another attempt. Once you qualify, you can request an actual hard plastic license that's good at all US Mile venues.

Norton nailed it!

I actually was running the stock F1s which did really well as the temps were 80 degrees plus. Some people don't automatically realize that drag radials aren't allowed in standing mile whereas they are allowed in 1/2 mile events.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

Thanks for the info. I thought the Fire Extinguisher was a requirement regardless of speed, so I must have read the rules incorrectly. Good deal! I like easy fixes like that one. lol

My only issue with the MPSS is I want to buy a set of tires I can use for more than just this event and I don't want the MPSS as a track or daily tire. It would be great if I could use a tire I could road race on as well like an R888 or something. I only intend to do this event once so I need something to pull double-duty in other areas.

If you're running in Arkansas or Texas there is plenty of shut down as opposed to the Colorado Mile which was dramatically shorter like Norton was referencing.

Hoosier Tire West is doing a 315/40/19 build of the Hoosier R7 tire in the near future. These are excellent for the mile but a bit pricey if you only intend to use them for Mile events. But they are nice and tall at 29" and approved by the US Mile/Texas Mile rules.

Van

Yeah, I'm shooting for the Arkansas event and read the shutdown will be plenty so no worries there. From what you know, do you expect that Hoosier to be available in time? Only a few months away so I wonder. I haven't read about those tires. Double duty for a road course as well?

Norton nailed it!

I actually was running the stock F1s which did really well as the temps were 80 degrees plus. Some people don't automatically realize that drag radials aren't allowed in standing mile whereas they are allowed in 1/2 mile events.

Exactly. No DR's (which is fine with me). Would love an option that can be used on a road course as well.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Cool thread, I'd like to try a 1/2 mile or even a mile one of these days.

Van

Will those fit on a 19x9.5"?
FRPP sells a version of our base wheels in black in 19s if guys want an OEM track wheel.
I'm lazy right now, anyone know of another Midwest event than the Ohio Mile?
I think Chicago has one.
-J

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Cool thread, I'd like to try a 1/2 mile or even a mile one of these days.

Staying WOT for an entire mile is awesome. Literally the most fun I've had in any car I've owned. With the monster you're building you'd have to gear down big time. Hell even with just 3.73s and throttle body at 8000 DA I was running about 6100 rpm in 5th out the back door at 173.5. 6250 is the max I'm comfortable spinning the engine to at high load so I'm damn close to maxing out 3.73s.

You'd likely be 200+, esp with lower elevation. 3.31s are maxed at 202. Unless you switch over to that XL you've posted about. If you can get that .68 or .63 6th ratio you might not have to touch those 4.10s. There was a GT500 owner at CO mile who ran low 190s on C16 and every bolt-on plus cams who was running 2.73s so he could run out the back end in 4th. He's on here, I just don't know his username or if he posts much at all.

Speedboosted

Established Member
You'd likely be 200+, esp with lower elevation. 3.31s are maxed at 202. Unless you switch over to that XL you've posted about. If you can get that .68 or .63 6th ratio you might not have to touch those 4.10s. There was a GT500 owner at CO mile who ran low 190s on C16 and every bolt-on plus cams who was running 2.73s so he could run out the back end in 4th. He's on here, I just don't know his username or if he posts much at all.

At the time, both Weir Racing cars ran 2.73 gears. Jordan set the record at that event. For a mile, 2.73 gears make the most sense because you cross in 4th, where a shift to 5th at those speeds is a killer for mph.

As for tires, the stock Goodyear tires would be okay, but the R888 like you mentioned would be tremendous. The Hoosier R7 is most definitely a dual purpose track tire, but way overkill and if you had to ask about an R7 for road course use, you aren't ready for them. I would try to grab the R888 if you can. Those gloves Norton linked aren't bad, but I prefer 3.3/5 spec gloves for the extra fire protection. The G Force helmet is very good, especially for the money. You should try them on first if at all possible.

I don't know if I missed it or not, but how much power does the car have? That will play a role into gearing as well. I would try to gear the car so it crosses the mile at the end of 4th, so you'll need to look into 3.08, 2.73, gears like that, again depending on power level.

Cooling is another big factor. Hopefully the car has at least 1 7/8 headers, an ice tank in the trunk, and the tune is spot on. Try to datalog the first couple passes if they'll let you. I was able to log during Shift Sector with a laptop in the passenger seat, but I doubt the US mile will allow that. If you have an NGauge, logging will be easy to do.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sure the rules are a little different between locations. I had to have a fire extinguisher and I mounted it under the glove box using a Drake fire extinguisher mount.

fem.jpg

i also ran MPSS up to 185 with no issues. They were new at the time. I'd tape up the fog light recesses or use racers tape to cover the recesses. This is a major source of aero loss.

Van, what is the minimum rim wdth for those Hoosiers?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
As for tires, the stock Goodyear tires would be okay, but the R888 like you mentioned would be tremendous. The Hoosier R7 is most definitely a dual purpose track tire, but way overkill and if you had to ask about an R7 for road course use, you aren't ready for them. I would try to grab the R888 if you can. Those gloves Norton linked aren't bad, but I prefer 3.3/5 spec gloves for the extra fire protection. The G Force helmet is very good, especially for the money. You should try them on first if at all possible.

I don't know if I missed it or not, but how much power does the car have? That will play a role into gearing as well. I would try to gear the car so it crosses the mile at the end of 4th, so you'll need to look into 3.08, 2.73, gears like that, again depending on power level.

Cooling is another big factor. Hopefully the car has at least 1 7/8 headers, an ice tank in the trunk, and the tune is spot on. Try to datalog the first couple passes if they'll let you. I was able to log during Shift Sector with a laptop in the passenger seat, but I doubt the US mile will allow that. If you have an NGauge, logging will be easy to do.

I thought he said it was LIKE the R7, not that it was the same tire. I went back and re-read it and it looks like I just misread.

Haven't dyno'd the car but no headers. Just 13-6 kit with 10% lower.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
At the time, both Weir Racing cars ran 2.73 gears. Jordan set the record at that event.
He definitely had a good weekend, with a top speed of almost 219MPH, while setting the Street Legal/Ford/GT500 record for this event. The overall record for the event, however, was set by Pikes Peak Racing's 2012 GT-R at just over 246MPH. (Full results are available here.)

I'm sure the rules are a little different between locations. I had to have a fire extinguisher and I mounted it under the glove box using a Drake fire extinguisher mount.
Rules may vary but, according to the US Mile's site, they're the same for Colorado and Arkansas. According to page 6, the "Fire extinguisher rule for cars under 199mph [was] removed" in 2014.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Minimum Rim width on the Hoosiers is 11" A lot of guys run them on some 19 x 11 Forgestars. They could be used in Road Racing as well. The Hoosier Tire that is being built in the next four weeks and it is an R7 Road Race Compound. These Tires in conjunction with a 2.73 Rear Gear and adequate cooling modifications (ICE CELL IN TRUNK, BYPASS HEAT EXCHANGER and RUN ICE SOLELY) you'll get up there in MPH. Nobody has ever gone over 200 MPH in the Standing Mile with a Stock Block. That record is 198.50 MPH held by Kenny Polk who also holds the overall record at 223.1 MPH for a GT500 with no nitrous.

U.S. Mile and Texas Mile are one in the same and the same governing rules for Colorado, Arkansas and Texas.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Minimum Rim width on the Hoosiers is 11" A lot of guys run them on some 19 x 11 Forgestars. They could be used in Road Racing as well. The Hoosier Tire that is being built in the next four weeks and it is an R7 Road Race Compound.
That would be cool to have at all 4 corners. :)

Speedboosted

Established Member
He definitely had a good weekend, with a top speed of almost 219MPH, while setting the Street Legal/Ford/GT500 record for this event. The overall record for the event, however, was set by Pikes Peak Racing's 2012 GT-R at just over 246MPH. (Full results are available here.)

Yes, sorry. I meant he set the mustang record for there since we are talking about mustangs.

Makinghole

Established Member
2.73's put a lot of strain on the engine. It is better the to do a 4-5 shift at the 1/2 mile mark and stay in the power band longer. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have always wanted to do a mile run, but I don't trust my my stock engine with the KB running for that long. Hopefully once my engine is built i can start doing 1 mile events.

Speedboosted

Established Member
2.73's put a lot of strain on the engine. It is better the to do a 4-5 shift at the 1/2 mile mark and stay in the power band longer. Just my 2 cents

How fast has your car gone in the mile? Looks like it's got the power to go 220+

Users who are viewing this thread