Urgent question..Please help!

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I decided to change the fuel filter on my 2004 Cobra. I looked for the part number on the SVT supplement booklet and it said that the Part number is FG-800A, and that is what I bought. When I took the original fuel filter out of the car, it was part number FG 986B, which is a much smaller filter in diameter, so I installed the new larger FG 800 A filter according to the booklet, but could not get the clamp and safety clip to fit with the larger one, so I used zip ties to secure it. How many of you have ran into this problem? Any solutions? SHould I buy the smaller one and put it in? :shrug:

Last edited:

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
You are correct. IT does not answer the question regarding the different fuel filters. The scary part is that I called SVT to ask, and they did not know the answer. I am going to take the larger one that I put in the car tonight, and switch back to the smaller one that came from the factory. I do not feel comfortable leaving it with zip ties.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Hmm, I just called the local dealer which wasn't even an SVT dealer and ordered a fuel filter for a 03 cobra. When I took the old one out and compared them they looked the same. I think the only difference was the original said Ford on it and the replacement Motorcraft.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
The fuel filter that is listed in the SVT supplement is MUCH larger than the one that was on the car. The original clamp and clip did not fit, so I had to zip tie it.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Thank you Dan! I bought the 986 today and will take the 800 out tonight. It does seem that the 800 will flow better because it is much bigger.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
The 986B is what's listed on the Motorcraft site too. The 800A fits Cobras and GT's from 93 through 97...if you can believe their buyer's guide.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I believe mine was installed in the wrong direction from the factory. I checked my friend's 04 Cobra and the arrow in his fuel filter is pointing to the left. Is that the correct direction?

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
What is your simple logic JB? The reason that I am asking the direction, is because mine appeared to be installed improperly from the factory when I compared it to another 04 Cobra.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
the direction of the arrow indicates the direction of fuel flow

the fuel flows from the tank to the engine

therefore, the line from tank should go to the end of the filter that the arrow "starts from"

the line going to the engine will connect to the side that the arrow "points to"

quite simple...

Last edited:

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
OK, but my question is: Why would you have two 04 Cobras with the filter (factory installed) pointing to different directions?

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I installed mine with the arrow pointing to the left, which seems to match your description, but when it came off my car, the arrow pointed to the right.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I always use the Fram G8018 filter myself. I change it every 10-20,000 miles though. If I remember on mine, it will only let me install it one way, but I always take note of the direction when removing anyway.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
brasil said:
OK, but my question is: Why would you have two 04 Cobras with the filter (factory installed) pointing to different directions?

Again, simple logic.
Some clown installed one of them backwards. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread