**URGENT** Need a quick answer on gear install.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has run into this problem before. Im helping my buddy install a set ot 3.73's on his 01 GT and the friggin pinion gear WILL NOT BUDGE! Every set of directions ive read says to remove the nut and the gear will slide out. Well, we've been out there for hours, and still no luck on getting it to budge. Does anyone have ANY ideas??

Thanks in advance!

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Dgussin said:
it needs to be pulled off by a machine. you cannot do it by hand.

Every website ive read says it can just be tapped out with a hammer. What sort of a machine are we talkin about?

SnakeinMD

New Cobra hopefully soon!
Established Member
I just used a wood block against the back of the back of the pinion. Just give it a good couple of whacks. It should come out.

Last edited:

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
SnakeinMD said:
No, you will not be able to tap it out with a hammer. I would just go buy a new one to use with the new gears.

Right.....money...well...yeah...this option isnt gonna happen.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
notdisturbed said:
Every website ive read says it can just be tapped out with a hammer. What sort of a machine are we talkin about?

It can be tapped out by a hammer. Use a small sledge hammer. It may screw up the factory pinion, but hey put some muscle into it!!!

SnakeinMD

New Cobra hopefully soon!
Established Member
notdisturbed said:
Right.....money...well...yeah...this option isnt gonna happen.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the pinion gear bearing for some reason. I can't read today... LOL. Read my revised post!!! Also, did you take out the entire rear???

It is not hard to do and it makes it so much easier to work on. And while you're at it you can replace the Upper and lower control arm Bushings with Polyeurathane ones. They are cheap and worth it. Just use saw horses to put the rear on. Notch out a spot in them to make it easier.

cKjuiced

Got Juice?
Established Member
notdisturbed said:
Beat the shit out of it, trust me it will go.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Thanks a million for all the help guys! We ended up just dropping the entire rear end, and after that the friggin gear popped out with no prob!

Users who are viewing this thread