URGENT! Help Needed! Buying an L

SVT1996Cobra

Established Member
hello, i'm looking at buying a Lightning and have a question. I have one in mine, it is a Silver 2001, bone stock. It appears to have been sitting on the car lot for awhile, but no longer than 30 days, and when it's cranked up white "smoke" and small traces of water come out of the exhaust. my question is........is this a problem? the truck is parked on an incline with the front end facing downward, and the gas tank is less than 1/4 full, so i was thinking just condensation in the tank. the "smoke" has no odor, and the water doesn't taste like antifreeze (sweet taste). The truck cranks and revs great, just the "smoke" is the only only problem.

If anyone could help it would be great, anyone ever heard of this before?

thanks,
jason

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
It probably is burning the excess oil that was dumped into the motor since it probably does not have a oil seperator on it yet. Just a thought.

Don't pay more than $23,000 for it.

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
condensation from sitting will give you the water out of the exhaust. i had my truck in my dads garage for 4 days then started it and had the white smoke and water, just condensation is all it was... i wouldnt worry about it.

ShockTherapy

Established Member
That's probably just condensation burning off when it's started. As long as that goes away once the truck warms up to operating temp it's OK.

Mileage dependant, 21K would be a good price. I paid $22k for my garaged, one owner 2001 with 8900 miles on it, and it included a Ford Premium Ext Warranty good for another 2 years. It also had the Roush suspension and hard tonneau cover on it when I bought it.

SVT1996Cobra

Established Member
i haven't had a chance to run it to operating temp as it was late. The mileage is ~40,000 and the price is 20k. I am kinda upside down in my cobra and it is starting to develop problem so i wanna bail instead of letting it nickel and dime me to death. i want a lightning because they have held their resale value unlike mustangs, so i think it is a good investment.

thanks for the help guys, keep the suggestions coming.......

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Too much for it! $17,500 would be highest i would go.

The smoke it from humidity and the pipes being cold. When truck warms up, it will go away.

Users who are viewing this thread