UPR Optima battery tray - does it work in the stock location?

jpk

Established Member
I want an AGM battery and it looks like for some reason there are zero Group 59 AGM batteries out there. Nothing from Optima, Odyssey, Northstar, or anything. So I'm going with the Optima since folks here have had reasonable luck getting them to fit in the stock location with a few hacks to the stock mounting box.

I'm wondering if the UPR Optima battery tray works in the stock location and would work better than chopping up the stock tray? It is listed as 'universal fit', which has me skeptical. Does it bolt on top of the stock battery tray, or does it replace it? Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.uprproducts.com/universal-billet-optima-battery-hold-down-tray-satin.html#1

jpk

Established Member
Looks like no one has tried this battery tray from UPR. I searched all over the internet, couldn't find out if it works in the stock battery tray location or not. I called UPR and the guy on the phone said it "should fit". Not very inspiring but I took him at his word and ordered the part. I'll report back if it really fits in the stock battery tray location. If not, I'll be returning it and modding the stock tray, I guess. Maybe I should have just bought the smaller group 75 Optima instead of the 34/78?

jpk

Established Member
Yeah, found out after I ordered the 34/78 size Optima and the UPR battery tray that I could have gone with a group 75 Optima and just a hold down adapter change. Oh well.

jpk

Established Member
I can confirm for anyone else that the UPR Optima Battery tray does *not* fit in the stock tray location. I will be returning it. I notched out the front of the stock tray with my Dremel saw and used the Optima blue colored tabs and the battery fits OK with the stock tray and stock hold down block. I might order one of those aftermarket aluminum hold downs since they look like they grab the Optima nicely.

But for anyone else considering the UPR tray, don't bother. Looks like it maybe would work for someone relocating the battery in the trunk. But that's it.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I'm pretty sure the UPR tray does not fit in stock location....

but what you can do is run the 75 series and they offer (optima) these little plastic extensions that will make it so your battery first perfectly in the battery tray and it is not loose.

the 34/78 is to "fat" best memory serves me. I could be wrong though...

here is a pic of the optima battery extensions. its called a battery adaptor kit. it comes with the red top and yellow top batteries.

here:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
the little blue pieces attach to the bottom of the battery and it locks them in place with the factory hardware. :)

jpk

Established Member
I think the GRC hold down is even better. It is what I am going to get. It has a curved face to grip the side of the Optima 34/78 battery. Since I notched out the tray, this will keep the battery from sliding. The flat stock or aftermarket hold downs only apply downwards pressure on the battery adapter, which still allows the battery to slide back and forth.

GRC part: http://cart.grcperformance.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=45

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think the GRC hold down is even better. It is what I am going to get. It has a curved face to grip the side of the Optima 34/78 battery. Since I notched out the tray, this will keep the battery from sliding. The flat stock or aftermarket hold downs only apply downwards pressure on the battery adapter, which still allows the battery to slide back and forth.

GRC part: http://cart.grcperformance.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=45

That's the one I used. I couldn't remember where I got it.

Users who are viewing this thread