UPR O/R X Pipe -- Leaking? Please read if you know anything about exhaust.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
So a local exhaust shop installed my o/r x pipe, and welded all the ends and bolted it to the manifolds using these thin multi layer silver metal gaskets. When they first started the car and was reving on it, I swore I heard and exhaust leak and they told me this is common with a 3" pipes with the cats deleted that I was just hearing air now. We went on a road test and I swore I was hearing and the mechanic insured me there was no leak.. I even searched and found threads that lead me to believe its normal. So Ive gotten used to it, its a hissing noise that you can hear from the firewall.

Well this morning, I started the car in the garage and it was cold, and when a car first starts it idles up to around 12-1500 rpms for about 5-10 seconds then idles down, well during that 5-10 seconds it was a loud sound like an exhaust leak and then slowly faded away into the noise that I've gotten used to hearing, especially under throttle. I went back to the shop and one guys said it sounds like a gasket problem. Which is what I thought..

Do you guys agree with them? I like the one mechanic I'm dealing with, but the shop has ripped me off but that's a hole other novel.
If he's right, is there a better gasket I can order that will ensure it seals?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Not saying you don't have a leak, but it is true you tend to hear more noise that would lead you to believe a leak is present. Every off-road mid-pipe I have done has always increased mechanical noise, exhaust valves closing etc...sometimes that sounds similar to a leak... Wait till you put a set of headers on!

You could have a buddy hold a rag over each tailpipe while you are under the car, this should make a leak more apparent. A little copper spray on those gaskets at the manifolds wouldn't hurt, should ensure a good seal... Also just give it some time, you should start to see some black soot where a leak is present, if it is leaking.

scott_0

Established Member
exhaust leaks sound like a tap pretty much........

bmyles

Established Member
Jack your car up when it's cold and start it and put you hand around (not on ) the joints , if there's a leak you'll find it .

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Does anyone know where to buy the gaskets? I can't seem to find them anywhere, and what is this copper spray you speak of? Can I just buy it at any parts store?

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Thanks!! Idk what I'd do without the forum. Okay, Im not an indiot, but why can't I find the exhaust gaskets anywhere? Is this a dealership part? I need the gasket that goes between the down pipe/cat delete section and manifold. The circle gasket?

SCalla1384

Established Member
What I used to do, is grab 2 people have them stuff rags in the exhaust tips so it's totally blocked off.

Then while your under the car check to se where it's coming from. Only thing that'll happen is eventually the car will stall. Can always use seafoam too.

My UPR x never leaked, fit great.

dormeas

Established Member
Link for exhaust gaskets: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/parts/2011/FORD/Mustang/GT?siteid=214771&vehicleid=311782&section=EXHAUST%20SYSTEM&group=EXHAUST%20SYSTEM&subgroup=EXHAUST%20COMPONENTS&component=Converter%20gasket

That's where I bought mine before I installed my UPR O/R x.

I had a slight leak from the drivers side joint with the stock header. After I installed the midpipe I laid under the car while someone else started it, as quickly and carefully as I could, I felt around each joint/gasket. It's very easy to feel the leak, especially on a cold start. I shut it off, tightened where I felt a leak, let it cool down, and then repeated the process to ensure no more leaks.

Hope this helps.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
I shined a flash light on the flange that connects the pipe to the manifold and you can see the black smut around the edges of the gasket that overhang the pipe. The exhaust shop is blaming the gaskets but I'm telling them theres no special gasket I can buy for them. I will buy those and take to them to put on and recommend them to use the copper spray.. Its definitely leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread