Upr K-member

2face

Established Member
just wondering if anyone has pics of how the upr chrome moly k-member looks on there cobra. also is this worth it? thanks in advance:rockon:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
If it's a daily driver I would definitely recommend something stronger like the offerings from Maximum Motorsports or Griggs.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I've been on here about 1 1/2 years and have yet to see anything negative about the UPR K-member.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
just wondering if anyone has pics of how the upr chrome moly k-member looks on there cobra. also is this worth it? thanks in advance:rockon:

only thing I would say is UPR is directed to drag racing mostly and their stuff is made to be light. are there people with them on the street...yes...do their k-members fail...as much as everyone else's form what I have read. I run a AJE on the street...1 season so far no issue's. AJE is similar to UPR.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Looking forward to the pics.
Okay Kel, here you go......Putting the wheels back on in the morning. MAC long tubes w/ Off road Prochamber sounds unbelievable.

Coilovers.....You can also see a bit of the K member and my newly painted DSG brake calipers.

Front K member support w/ steering rack. You'll need to fabricate about a 1" spacer for the back of the two steering rack bolts. I just cut one of the old tubes that came off the rack. You can see it on the right hand bolt.

Long tubes and K member where it attachs to the motor mount. The rusty nipple at the top of the picture right under the shadow has to go into the rectangular hole in the K member. Takes a bit of prying, but it WILL go in there on both sides. And SOOO much easier to get the starter off with clutch installs! And yes, you can do a clutch install with the long tubes on.

This picture is taken from right behind where the passenger tire would be......Access to headers is unbelieveable compared to the factory K member. On the top of the picture, you can see the two upper mounting bolts. The triangular bracket on the left side of the pic leads to the two rear mounting bolts. And you can see the motor mount bolt right in the middle. Duplicate it on the other side, and you have 10 very accessible bolts to remove and reinstall when doing this swap.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
^ What kind of shocks/struts are those?

That looks very nice BTW and makes me think about considering a UPR k-member over a MM one.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Overall I like my UPR setup (Came with Hellion kit). It was nice and quiet at first but, now it is a bit creaky. I just need to retorque the bolts.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Thanks Dwight.

Now I know you weighed the components (in and out). So what was the weight savings and actual weights?

ssketer4

Established Member

That looks very nice BTW and makes me think about considering a UPR k-member over a MM one.

I'm interested in the answer also! UPR told me the coil over springs will not fit over the stock Bilstiens. Do you think it's strong enough for a daily driver? The steering rack mounts look kinda weak for daily driving....:shrug:

IronTerp

These are 10-way adjustable Strange Engineering. These or the Tokico 5-ways are the two best options for the UPR coilover setup. Both will work fine, but the Strange's are much more reasonably priced. You can get them at the below site for $99.....Best price out there and ended up being right down the street from me even though I found out about them from the internet.

http://www.autofabracecars.com/

And ssketer4, I know of several fellas that have 15,000+ miles on this setup with no problems/complaints. But, I'll let you know in two years!!!

Kel, looking like 65 lb weight savings. I weighed the UPR kit, but need to weigh the stock components.

Last edited:

ssketer4

Established Member
Dwight, thanks for the reply! I'm going to go ahead and order one, along with the strange struts! :beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I'll tell you how strong the kit is in early April. Very end of March I will be using mine in an OT event. I'll be putting about 160 minutes of road racing wear and tear on mine.

IronTerp

I'll tell you how strong the kit is in early April. Very end of March I will be using mine in an OT event. I'll be putting about 160 minutes of road racing wear and tear on mine.
Yeah, I would say this will be an excellent test Doug. But, I know you wouldn't of put it on there if you didn't think it was up to the task...... :banana:

YGETV8

Established Member
Alright... I'm about halfway through a (slow) UPR K install, and I'd never heard of the coilovers NOT fitting over the stock struts?! I hope they are referring to the trimming of the strut dust shields! I bought mine used and have no instructions, so who can tell me if you do need to use a different oil filter? I looked at a stocker and a Fram side by side, and they were the same dimensions... ? Thanks!

IronTerp

Yes, with some struts, you need to remove the dust shield. Carefully!

And some UPR K's fit with the stock Motorcraft oil filter and some don't. Mine DID NOT and I'm going with a Super Tech ST2 as it's is a good inch shorter.

st2a.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread