UPR Coil-Over Kit...

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
I ordered a set of UPR 2003/2004 Cobra coil overs, which came in. Yesterday I go to put them on and ran into this...
These are supposed to be Bilstein compatible. Any one know why the sleeve won't go down all the way?
Or am I suppose to grind that portion of the strut?
image_12.jpg

image_13.jpg

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
I noticed on Maximum Motorsports' Coil Over kit, they have/use a split clamp collar at the base of the threaded sleeve...
I may just pick up a pair of 2" split clamp collars and put them on, then the sleeves can rest evenly all around. I could even flip the collar upside down so the notch will up, keeping the sleeve even on the split clamp collar.

I can't see grinding the welds down all the way around to slip on that sleeve.

Last edited:

Three21

Established Member
I think I remember doing some grinding on my shocks with the UPR COs on Tokico Illuminas. I'll check tomo and get back

lescok

Established Member
Those are just more of a universal fit doubt UPR makes specific to our struts. Best bet is removal and order up some from MM. If you go the pipe collar route please share some pics with everyone.

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
Actually, when I called UPR and asked Steve, he said they are not specific, but are just made to fit around the strut tube. Which didn't help me much.

However, I did find some 2" bore split clamp collars ($15ea) so I ordered a pair. When they get here I will assemble the coil over kit with the collar, and it should look similar to the MM. The only thing you would need I think is a strap wrench around the sleeve if you need to adjust the ride height because the sleeve will spin when the car is jacked up. But I think it will work. Once I get my height dialed in I don't plan on adjusting over again. But i will share.

Next time, stick with MM, because that kit looks very solid. And it's not much more than the UPR system. I paid $229.00 shipped for my UPR Bilstein coil over kit, and I chose 12"-250lb/in spring rates.
MM is about $360ish...but worth it. They also include a detailed installation guide with Pics (that I used to guide me)

Standby!!! Pics to follow...

Last edited:

Three21

Established Member
Mine sit evenly around the shoulder. Only have maybe 100 miles on the COs since the car's been under construction.

b36f3ab6c4d42d69bdd5afe73b1fd2ff.jpg

59bce9a3e5dbb6f4c4d2f1076e3558c2.jpg

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
Well I spun the lower spring perch/ring up until that smaller spring cap sat flush on the bigger cap, with the washers and bearing and grease in between. Here's what it looks like as of now. I want to lower the car about another 2" so I will have to lower the spring perch ring until my ride height, but I'm afraid that the small spring cap will get hung up on that lip on the top rod the strut. As pictured in the post prior to this one.

image_20.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread