UPR CAI: Good News/Bad News

Reelman

Established Member
Just installed my UPR CAI. They must be swamped with orders. It was backordered for 2/3 weeks, and when I got it, found the following: Laser cut "stainless steel plate" is aluminum with no finish (easily scratched) and the hole for the filter is too small! Had to enlarge with a grinder just to make the installation. Had to deburr the plate after cutting myself on the sharp edges. The instructions are incomplete - you have to remove the lower screw in the fender well liner to get the filter in. $200 for this grief?

The good news: Major power increase. It may be more pronounced because I'm at 5800' but the increase is greater than when I install the Magnaflow C/B. Humm...I wonder if I had installed them in reverse order, if the M/F would have given more perceived power. Anyhow, it's a great combo, and I hardly use the radio at all now. This asp makes its own music!

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
I would have preferred the aluminum plate. The stainless steel plate is quite heavy. As for scratching, you can polish out aluminum rather easily so that still wouldn't have deterred me.
As for having to remove a screw to thread the filter up into the inner fender; it can be done without unscrewing anything. You just need to be patient:)

NickSVT03

Established Member
I didnt have any problems installing mine. I think it took me 20 min? I think it is hit or miss with this kit. I know they are hand made so there will be some human error involved.

Lomancobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Steve Snake Driver
As for having to remove a screw to thread the filter up into the inner fender; it can be done without unscrewing anything. You just need to be patient:)

What?! How did you get the filter into the fender without taking the liner off? It's too big to fit in through the engine bay.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
I just yanked the lower part of the fender liner down and mashed the filter through the hole. I tore up my fingers pretty good on the screen over the filter element, but it will find its way through with a good shove.

The power increase is definately worth the PITA installation.

blown03

Established Member
It actually takes two people to do this install.

I was able to get the filter in through bottom without removing anything. I had someone from the top guide me through.

When it came time to install the filter into the heat shield it did appear the hole was too small. I played with it for about 30 minutes. I finally got mad and removed the filter from my car. I took the heat shield and filter to my kitchen table where I found that the filter fitted easily through the hole of the heat shield. I called UPR and asked them what the deal was. The guy told me to put some WD-40 on the filter then have someone hold the filter from the bottom while I placed the heat sheild on from the top.

I went back to my car and reinstalled the filter through the bottom. After about ten minutes, I was able to get it completely installed.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Established Member
Installed my UPR CAI last Saturday...
Yes; the fit was tight between the filter snout and the hole in the block off plate.

Yes; I did loosen the fenderwell liner (two push pins and the front wheel well screw.

Once I got the filter partially started through the hole in the block off plate; I then went topside and pulled the remainder of the filter snout through.

I had to file the pads down on my MAF so there wasn't an air gap between the MAF and the Mandrel Bent Tube mounting flange.

I considered it a "Simple Install".

SOTP = A definite positive power difference and LOTSA MORE Blower Whine!! No Dyno results yet but I'll try to get in within the next couple of weeks to see if there has been a significant change in the numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread