Upper air intake, help please.

a64armt

Established Member
Ok, I have managed to damage my upper air intake manifold for my NA 5.4 in my Expedition. Yea, yea not a Lightning, please read below.

I had just started receiving the P0401 code, Insufficient EGR flow. I decided to check the voltages and such, no issues. Ok, I will check the EGR passages for blockages................................:shrug:

When I went to loosen the rear EGR valve bolt, I cracked the "ear" in the upper intake manifold where it mounts. :xpl: I wanted to vomit when it happened. Even worse, the broken piece fell under the intake manifold and I can't seem to "fish" it out. What a pain.

So, what started as a simple check engine code, is now an upper air intake issue. Joy!

Ok, I removed the upper air intake and I have considered new part, initial search yields the cost can be $800. Ok, I will check for a shop to repair via weld or weld a stud so I can mount the EGR valve. Another option is to look for a used upper air intake being sold by someone far more ambitious than I who has installed a supercharger.

The last option was to search for an aftermarket, or performance upper air intake. I have seen a few on E-bay with larger throttle body's for about $250.

This is not a performance vehicle what so ever, it is a 1997 5.4 4x4 Expedition with 165,000 miles.

Any ideas, suggestions, or even parts for sale?

Additionally, I am headed back to Iraq in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to have this solved before I leave so my wife can drive the truck. So, time is short. Subsequently, I have posted this on a couple of sections hoping to get a quick response, or even catch someone selling the part I require.

Thanks in advance.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread