Upgrading lightning, what to expect?

svtjerrod

Established Member
Ok i am finaly getting my truck broke out of its stock set up and was wondering what you guys thought??

i am getting a stage 4 port from stieg, with strip rebiuld etc.. tb and plenum port match.(may upgrade to stage 5 dunno yet)

6 lbs lower

CAI

MAFia extender

and plugs and lower t stat with the oil bypass mod.. may do egr delete..
and to top it all off a modular power house tune by tim barth..

so how will the truck do with this stuff, will there be a noticeable difference in the power??

what kind of HP could i see?

also getting drag radials, it hooks fine with proxes now, but shouldnt after all this stuff..

anybody and everybody leave thier opinion.what would u do different?what else would u do??

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
I put a 3# and full exhuast and noticed quite difference... 43whp & 68wtq. You're almost doubling my efforts so I'm sure it'll be day and night for you.

search for 6# lower in the forum and I'm sure it'll pull something up for you. I've seen more 6# pullies being installed than anything else.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
you will notice a gain in just the 6# lower. and you will notice more gains with the steig.

since your doing it all at once, you should notice a whole lot of difference.

my guess: 415 HP and 510 Tq

Oh BTW be sure to get a good tune!!

Last edited:

stangit00

Established Member
On a stage 5 and a 6lber, I made 423/489. Temp was over 98* in the dyno shop when I got tuned, and my intercooler pump was only working intermittently. Will be more with a new pump and cooler temps.:beer:

Last edited:

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
Yeah... with those mods and a good tune, 425-430 is not out of the question. I would consider some exhaust work... maybe hi-flo cats and a decent cat back setup. Maybe you might want to consider upgrading fuel delivery, but I'm just guessing there. Talk to your tuner.

svtjerrod

Established Member
The trans is my next step.. precision industries converter, ftvb, bigger sump pan.. but that will be next year some time.. maybe tax time..

what kind of ET's do you guys think with nitto 555r drag radials..

NoAllies

Boost-A-Holic
Established Member
The trans is my next step.. precision industries converter, ftvb, bigger sump pan.. but that will be next year some time.. maybe tax time..

what kind of ET's do you guys think with nitto 555r drag radials..

I have a FTVB, never used, that I'll sell to ya...

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
Do the FTVB NOW!

A valvebody should be everyone's first mod.

Last edited:

uae_lightning

Street Force Motorsports
Established Member
Whats the FTVB ?

I thought LFP stage 3 POWER KIT with 4lb takes you to 430 RWHP :( parts are going to be here anyday .. I thought I'd be able to take a stock LS2 C6.. but I doubt it now..

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
It's a valvebody for the transmission to shift firmer and have a longer service life.

If you don't know what I am talking about then you are not ready to be modding your Lightning. What you should do is start reading more about the truck and its abilties as well as its short comings. Educate yourself before you just start throwning useless mods on your vehicle which do nothing but empty your wallet.

2tonOfun

Established Member
It's a valvebody for the transmission to shift firmer and have a longer service life.

If you don't know what I am talking about then you are not ready to be modding your Lightning. What you should do is start reading more about the truck and its abilties as well as its short comings. Educate yourself before you just start throwning useless mods on your vehicle which do nothing but empty your wallet.

That's a little harsh. The dude IS learning, right now. See, he just learned what a Valvebody is and I guess he just learned that it should be "everyone's" first mod.

There are not that many useless mods. It all depends one what you want from your truck. People spend all kinds of money on exhaust for these trucks and it doesn't make them any faster. Does that mean it was useless? Not if it makes you smile when you rev it. I put a panhard bar on mine so that the rear end is firmmed up, but I'll probably never take the thing back out on a road course again, does that mean that was a useless mod?

To the op, use the search button, ask questions, spend money, have fun. It's really that simple.

SVTBeatdown13

Travis Barker Jr.
Established Member
You will notice a big difference as said. I say 415-430rwhp about. Do yourself a favor and get some traction bars and a Driveshaft loop with the drag radials. You don't wanna spend some cash because you destroyed the driveshaft launching the truck. The FTVB is good, but I say get a punisher street or comp valve body. Those things will chirps the tires. The valve bodies as said are harder shifts and are less strain on the tranny.

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
That's a little harsh. To the op, use the search button, ask questions, spend money, have fun. It's really that simple.

Maybe a little harsh. Sorry.
Most of these questions have been answered hundreds of times; probably within the last few pages of the forum you are posting in.
Less typing more reading.

Last edited:

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
To be honest though, those questions will never stop. That is what the forums are for, to help one another out.

+1 I dont how how many times I get asked about my drop and at the time about my powdercoated wheels, black headlights, etc. But im happy to answer every time

uae_lightning

Street Force Motorsports
Established Member
I know WHAT A VALVE BODY is man.. But I didn't know it had V and T on it for shortcut.

harsh or not either way its fine with me am learning because its my first automatic truck. I own 2 Mustangs and they all have the CLUTCH pedal which is more fun TBH. but the lightning is a sweet truck and I love it N thats why I bought it.

Step by step am learning more about this tranny and As I planned I WILL be getting Transmission Mods before Cooling mods since winter is coming sometime any soon.

Users who are viewing this thread