Upgraded Rods

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Looking at upgrading just my rods. Anyone done this? Best rods out there? I'd like to upgrade before the stock ones decide to make a fast exit. Lol

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
Looking at upgrading just my rods. Anyone done this? Best rods out there? I'd like to upgrade before the stock ones decide to make a fast exit. Lol

If you are going to go into the motor, you might as well do bearings on the bottom end and cams while its apart for the rods. Big gains with camshafts on these cars with good rods in the car.

ILW84U

Established Member
And while you are doing that, you may as well do ....

Typical on how the modding starts & goes.

Snoopy49

Established Member
From a financial stand point, if your going tear it down for rods, the additional upgrades I mentioned won't add to the labor part of your bill.
You really can't think of these as mods, you are upgrading standard components. None of the upgrades I mentioned will produce any more power than stock parts, they just beef up the base motor for future mods.

Last edited:

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
If you're doing rods. why not add another grand and do pistons. it's not like they're a bolt on part. Then the rest of the "I shoulda done this" follows.

DSC_0600.jpg

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
How "nice" do you want to go? Manley rods are very durable and generally good value. With that being said, there are other options you should check out, namely Carillo and Oliver, if you are looking for higher end brands. I'm just not sure if all of these brands have the tapered small ends that are necessary to fit into the stock 5.8 Pistons if you choose to keep them. Remember a balance job will be necessary regardless because any aftermarket rod will weigh different than stock.

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Yeah I understand, but the stock Pistons are great, they aren't crappy like the rods. And the Pistons already match the bore. I want to just beef up the component that'll get me to 1k hp. I'm also probably gonna have my heads ported and get custom camshaft made

steeltoe

Established Member
Yeah I understand, but the stock Pistons are great, they aren't crappy like the rods. And the Pistons already match the bore. I want to just beef up the component that'll get me to 1k hp. I'm also probably gonna have my heads ported and get custom camshaft made

If you are going for big numbers like that, you should invest in a properly built long block. Call L&M Engines and they will set you on the right path.

Bad Company

Established Member
For that type of power you want to consider a complete motor build.

Reusing the stock pistons will limit you to using only the JDM/Manley H-Beam rods. This is due to the design of the stock piston. Manley rates the H-Beam forged rod for these engines at 750Hp with ARP2000 bolts without taking into consideration of tapering the wrist pin end of the rod for the stock 13/14 Mahle pistons. I know that JDM is rating the rods for a much higher HP rating. Is Manley being conservative in the rating? Yes, but where does the limit really come into play. The stroke of these particular mod engines creates very fast piston speeds at high RPM, along with sharp thrust angles and higher thrust loads on the cylinder walls. The larger piston bore creates heavier pistons weights that the wrist pin and rod must hold on to. Put these things together with high RPM and high Hp output and the stress on the rod increases quickly. The costs differences of building the engine isn't that much different from using either the JDM H-Beam or Manley Pro Series I Beam 14321-8 rods, when you start looking at the total costs of building the engine. Since the total engine build costs aren't that much different from using either rod in a complete engine build, use the better rod for your piece of mind

Diamond Piston makes pistons for the 13/14 engines. Total Seal makes rings that work with the plasma spray bore liners also

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would be a little uneasy about pushing the 5.8 block real hard. It's very expensive and if something goes wrong your writing big checks even for just a scored cylinder which is fairly common on a supercharged motor. Big bore mod motors are not the best for sealing the cylinders so you have to be mindful of how much boost you can run. I would consider a 5.4 block which will be more "user friendly".

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd plan on getting a quote from JDM using their rods that keep the stock pistons, as well as 2 quotes from other reputable shops-----then pick who you're most comfortable with.
Track success goes a long way with me, several mentioned names also well-proven.
What are your goals? uses?
Might last you a long time in a street application, or may blow tomorrow, never know, but good luck.
-J
:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread