Upgrade my 2012 Transmission or Gears For 65mph performance?

sono

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. For the hell of it I may give Rockland a call to find out the turnaround time on a custom gear setup. It's my DD so it would be tough. I doubt I'll come across the deal you have on the 13-14 stuff Catmonkey. For me 1st gear is within grasp if I could squeeze another 10mph out of it. That would make second ideal at 65mph. The other way to 4.30 would make 3rd perfect which would work to.
My local shop would protest the whole way at a 4.30 ratio though. So much so that I would be on my own if I have any issues.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
Neither of those gears you mentioned are good for the half mile. 3.31's with that big rear tire is perfect for 1/2 mile. 3.73's would be good for a 65-ish hit, anything steeper and traction/usability becomes an issue

How do you figure? Do you think his car is going to go faster then 163 in the 1/2 mile?

Ive always been puzzled why the 13-14 cars got taller gears. I mean all that power is WICKED, but you lose the multiplier with a taller gear. so 662 at teh crank means even less at the wheels with a 3.31 than if it had the old 3.55 or 3.73.

If for some reason I ever find a 13-14 in my stable, 3.73s are going in if I find the 3.31s are too... restrictive.

Yup I agree the 3.31s are junk.

I think the 13-14 taller gears give them an advantage on races from a roll as well as 1/2 mile and full mile runs as well. I've seen a few races already having an 11-12 versus a 13-14, and the latter pulled away, despite making slightly less power than the modded 11-12.

Not at all take 2 stock 13/14s one with 3.31s and the other with 4.10s. Put both on a 28" DR and the one with 4.10s will win 10 out of 10 times with equal drivers.

Thanks for the input guys. For the hell of it I may give Rockland a call to find out the turnaround time on a custom gear setup. It's my DD so it would be tough. I doubt I'll come across the deal you have on the 13-14 stuff Catmonkey. For me 1st gear is within grasp if I could squeeze another 10mph out of it. That would make second ideal at 65mph. The other way to 4.30 would make 3rd perfect which would work to.
My local shop would protest the whole way at a 4.30 ratio though. So much so that I would be on my own if I have any issues.

Why is that?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Not at all take 2 stock 13/14s one with 3.31s and the other with 4.10s. Put both on a 28" DR and the one with 4.10s will win 10 out of 10 times with equal drivers.

Don't forget that the more gear you put in the back, the less you will dyno to the wheels, because of the added teeth/friction losses.

Users who are viewing this thread