Upgrade HCI or just get Blowzilla 2.1

BiLL1024

Established Member
KB can custom burn you a mail order chip. There is a local guy with 93 KB Cobra and he used the chip, and liked it. Said it was spot on.
Here is a good read from the KB web sight on the 93 cobra and a KB blower on it.
He bolted it on in less than a half hour!! The runs, I would say is with no tune either.
http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/back2back.pdf

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
So, a set of 42 pound injectors, an upgraded in tank fuel pump as well as the KB boost a pump?

You could probably get by without the BAP, but watch what 255 you end up with. There are a few variations of it, one much better than the other.
I tend to err of the side of caution when it comes to fuel components. Just for reference, my 400rwhp setup is what I've suggested.

The Vortech HO kits (10 psi) will set you up with one of their T-rex externals, in addition to your intank, along with the FMU and MSD BTM.

Both kits are easy bolt on kits, which can be removed later. Both will make great HP, with Vortech having the edge in maxium hp/tq if you ever choose to get silly with it on this car or another. Keep in mind the KB kit will only work with a Cobra lower intake, while the Vortech will bolt up to any 302, regardless of the intake.

I don't know much about KB's tuned chip for these cars other than they have one for $400 IRCC. I don't know what supporting parts it requires to work, but they should know what those are and the HP/TQ it will produce with said parts on a stock 93' Cobra. I would hope that they have a fairly recent "tune", and not something they flashed 10 years ago.

BiLL1024

Established Member
How's the Paxton Novi kits?
The more I read this I want to do the ford 340hp 306 with the x-heads and e-cam and slap a blower on it. Think the KB would give me 400+ rwhp with the 8# kit and that motor?

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Im on the fence about a kb or a vortec as well.... I see a guy with stock long block and kb made like 330 or so.to the wheels on youtube... Which is weird bc id expect alot more then that.

Its all in the tune. Before when my 89 had a complete stock longblock, I first bolted the S-Trim to that. Doing my research, I had seen several of that cmobos(stock 5.0 + psi via vortech) dyno anywhere from 320rwhp to 380rwhp. That variance is how aggressive of a tune it had.

BTW, that S-Trim on my stock longblock was good for 11.9s at 117. As you know the cobra has a better longblock, so 8psi can get you in the 11s for sure with slicks.

buddha93

Established Member
I absolutely love my Novi. It flippin' rocks. On a mild tune it made 550rwhp. I had it choked down to under 14 psi, but I've since unplugged it and added some meth........should knock out almost another 100 hp with the same pulley.

If you go with a bigger set of injectors and MAF, you are correct in assuming you won't need the FMU, however you will need a tune for startup, low-load/boost situations to get it right. In theroy the MAF should handle most of that, but it's only one input and can only do so much.

With a 340hp crate motor and the KB, you'll be closer to 450rwhp.

BTM, boost timing master. It has a little dial on that allows you to pull out so much timing for a give amount of boost. Keeps from blowing your chit up!

buddha93

Established Member
so is the novi better than the Vortech and KB???

Not really a fair comparison. Neither the KB 2.1 or the Vortech Si flow the CFM or can make the HP the Novi 2k will.............1000hp to be exact, or 850rwhp.

The Si will flat out make more HP/TQ than the KB2.1, maxed out.

However, if you pulley them both for 10 psi, the Vortech should make more HP but the KB will match it's TQ, and more than likely at a lower RPM range. This is best guesstimate of course, but generally how it goes.

Both are great blowers and will give you plenty of tire frying abilities. Just depends on how you want it.

BiLL1024

Established Member
One thing not brought up is, the stock block can only handle so much power before it splits.
They say when your near 500rwhp, your close to max. I might want the 5-6# blower and see how it goes. It's not hard to increase boost at a later date with a pulley swap.
Other thoughts, HCI/stroker VS blower. What is more dependable? Is a blower set up a pain in the ass to maintain? Need an oil separator in the line that goes to the pcv valve?
With a NA car seems like there is less to go wrong.
They say with HCI the computer should learn the new setup with out a tune, true or not? A blower car wont learn the new setup as well?
Plus think of what is your goal, and what are you going to do with the car.
Going to the strip, just street. Going to be a DD? So do you NEED the car every day.
What is the up/down side to blower, VS up/down side to NA?
Best to make a plan, figure what you want, save $ until you have enough to do it right the first time. If you don't have the time and money to do it right the 1st time, when will you have it to do it the 2nd time?
Good luck to the OP what ever you do.

fivestangs

Established Member
I know it used to be this way, not sure about now though, so you might want to check, but I'm pretty sure you had to discharge and re-route your A/C lines with the "original" KB...if the new kit has the same requirement, that might factor into your decision.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
so is the novi better than the Vortech and KB???

YES. It has much sturdier blower brackets and 10 rib drive belt compared to the 8 rib belt on vortech.

The KB serpentine system would not even compare.

Last edited:

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
What is more dependable? Is a blower set up a pain in the ass to maintain?

the one thing that affected reliability on my car was my blower caused me to run hot so I upgraded the whole cooling system. When I ran A/C I had problems with the temps especially. If you are in a cold area you might not have this issue or maybe other factors.

besides that blowers are actually pretty easy to set up and get going and the cobras respond very well to them.

buddha93

Established Member
I know it used to be this way, not sure about now though, so you might want to check, but I'm pretty sure you had to discharge and re-route your A/C lines with the "original" KB...if the new kit has the same requirement, that might factor into your decision.

My car is setup with different A/C lines........longer and straighter. The kit was put on in 06'.

Teal93

I ditched the fmu and put a ajustible fuel psi regulator and gained about 23 hp and was more consistant on the power. As for the stock block and power. if you keep the detionation out of it like my buddys cobra. he runs about 580 to the tire on the stock block. On my cobra im putting down 525 to the tire. I run 100 octane in my cobra to keep the detonation out. My buddy runs c16 with his. I just have a ocational blast here and there. My buddy beats on his all the time.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
anyone running snow performance meth injection with their supercharger?? noticeable difference??

buddha93

Established Member
anyone running snow performance meth injection with their supercharger?? noticeable difference??

The stuff works really well when you get into the upper boost limits, though my buddy had his 10psi setup tuned with it by Kurgan for more of a safety margin with a stock bottom end and pump gas.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
was he able to tune it to where if the meth ran out and he didnt know it, the computer would back out timing?? im not too familar with capabilities of the setup, i wouldnt want to run out and blow my motor up haha.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
^^ Sounds like you would need a knock sensor to make that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread