Updates on Raptor Shift Light Install?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I will be installing my Raptor Shift Light this weekend. I checked via a search, and think I have what I need, just wanted to check and see if anyone had anything new to add. I picked up on the tip to extend the lead, or have a coupler in line so the unit can be moved/removed without pulling the kickpanel. Any ideas or thoughts on how much additional wire to add? Best source for matching wires, connectors, etc. Anybody find shortcuts or wiring tips to add to the really great Slide Show Dan created? Any thoughts are welcome!

Ashentep

Established Member
I don't know about everybody else's Raptor shift light, but mine came with PLENTY of wire already attached. I have about 3 feet of extra wiring coiled up under my carpet.

The idea of the plug for easy removal is a good idea, though.

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
Just don't attach your clip with double sided foam tape, yesterday it fell off because it was the first hot day. I had it attached with tape because I wasnt sure where I wanted to position it.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The recommendation for the extra wire came because when the lights were first sold, they only had about 3 feet of wire. That was one of the recommendations I had made to Rick (include longer leads). Now there is more than enough for any installation.

I've had mine on with the foam tape temporarily for about 6 months now (HA! HA!) and it doesn't seemed to have loosened up any, but it hasn't really been terribly hot here yet either. If the surfaces are clean, it should work long enough to give you an idea of the best location for your driving style, then do it the right way.
Other than that, I have nothing to add.

If you put a connector in line to facilitate the relocation, and it works out for you, take a couple of pictures of the install and forward it to Rick @ Raptor, I'm sure he will appreciate it. Usually once they are in place though and the final location selected, they tend to stay there.

Dana

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
The recommendation for the extra wire came because when the lights were first sold, they only had about 3 feet of wire. That was one of the recommendations I had made to Rick (include longer leads). Now there is more than enough for any installation.

I've had mine on with the foam tape temporarily for about 6 months now (HA! HA!) and it doesn't seemed to have loosened up any, but it hasn't really been terribly hot here yet either. If the surfaces are clean, it should work long enough to give you an idea of the best location for your driving style, then do it the right way.
Other than that, I have nothing to add.

If you put a connector in line to facilitate the relocation, and it works out for you, take a couple of pictures of the install and forward it to Rick @ Raptor, I'm sure he will appreciate it. Usually once they are in place though and the final location selected, they tend to stay there.
Dana

Thanks for all the input. I ran across the idea for the in-line connector here, one of the other members came up with it and even has photos at their website. (sorry for not remembering his name) The light does have quite a bit of wire, so perhaps I can simply cut and install the connector in the existing lead. Thanks again.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Finished the install last night just in time for a few evening runs. My God, the thing is so bright it almost blinds you when it activates. Great little gadget for a reasonable price. Install was a piece of cake thanks to all the info avaailable here. I decided to mount it between the tach/speedo, attaching it to the bottom of the gauge cluster bezel. :)

Users who are viewing this thread