Updated info on my Fan removal....

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
As some of you may recall....I posted a CRY-FOR-HELP thread recently on removing the factory fan.

Here is the link to the thread....HELP

Anyway....I was advised that the Fan was reverse thread....After much heaving/cussing/broken screwdrivers and a hernia....I am pleased to inform you that the fan is NOT...I repeat...NOT REVERSE THREAD!!!! It is very rare that misleading info is given out...but it was in this case.

This may not be the best or easiest way of doing the removal....but here is how we got it off.

Step 1....Remove blower belt

Step 2....Remove Idler bracket to gain better clearance to water pump/fan

Step 3....Release tension on accessory belt

Step 4....Remove water pump pulley bolts (again to gain more clearance for your wrenches)

Step 5....Use a pipe wrench on the rounded portion of the pump shaft and a cresent wrench on the hex portion of the fan.

Step 6....Turn the fan portion (cresent) to the left (LEFTY LOOSEY....NOT RIGHTY TIGHTY) while using the pipe wrench to isolate the pump shaft. (A cheater pipe on both wrenches and a buddy will make this job a piece of cake!)

I just wanted to post this info to help steer anyone esle that may be contemplating this mod in the right direction.

I thank all of you guys on this forum for helping newbs such as myself and the rest of the L Nation. This truly is the best site for Lightning knowledge on the web....:rockon:

Dorf

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
never saw the original thread...but you can go to autozone and rent/get the fan/cluth remvoal tool and dont have to remove or do all the stuff that you did...

one tool holds the fan/waterpump pully and the other wrecnh goes around the fan shaft nutbase....pops it right loose...and you are correct standard thread

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I couldn't remember strongly enough to disagree with anyone else in the other thread, but I'm glad you got it off.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
I didn't check at AZ or AA for a tool....it is good to know that there is a specific tool to help with such a task. To date this has to be the biggest PIA with the truck, besides changing plugs.

Sometimes when I am working on this truck...I feel like I am working on a Van (no room in the engine bay). I mean....trucks in general up until the late 90's....you could practically have a picnic in the engine bay....hell you could sit in there with the engine. With this thing....you need to have the elasticity of Plastic Man to get to some of the parts and accessories.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I've heard a lot of people talking about engine compartment space recently. I've never had a complaint about room to work and I'm not a little guy. Maybe it is just what everyone is used to working on, but the L doesn't seem that bad to me. I can think of many other vehicles in my lifetime that have been MUCH worse. You'll get used to it. ;-)

bgstew6

Established Member
I'm with you Chris...

I got ape mitts and forearms...but once you learn the angles of attack......the rest is gravy.....but space is at a premium compared to the vehicles of old...

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Gigawatt said:
you need to have the elasticity of Plastic Man to get to some of the parts and accessories.

Meh Just ask Snakestress to help out. When we did her blower swap I kid you not she was IN the damn engine bay while my ass was all leaned over in stupid angles LOL
Like I joked with her...I called her the engine bay monkey...a poke at those trunk monkey commercials LOL

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Well after 2 full sat. days and a ton of go fast parts it is almost done.......Now its time to make some passes and get a good dyno tune!!!

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Kryo-Genik said:
Meh Just ask Snakestress to help out. When we did her blower swap I kid you not she was IN the damn engine bay while my ass was all leaned over in stupid angles LOL
Like I joked with her...I called her the engine bay monkey...a poke at those trunk monkey commercials LOL

she can come work on my truck whenever she wants...

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Sorry I didn't catch your other thread or else I could have helped. You see..I have unhealthy amounts of knowledge about all the modular water pumps.

Just for future searching.. all the rear wheel drive modular water pumps are regular ole RH threads. (both truck and car) The only one that was LH was the FWD contintental.

Rich :xpl:

Last edited:

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
wydopnthrtl said:
Sorry I didn't catch your other thread or else I could have helped. You see..I have unhealthy amounts of knowledge about all the modular water pumps.

Just for future searching.. all the rear wheel drive modular water pumps are regular ole RH threads. (both truck and car) The only one that was LH was the FWD contintental.

Rich :xpl:

NOW YOU TELL ME...J/K. I appreciate all the info guys...I wish we had all of this 2 weeks ago...but if it would have went smooth, what would I have to post about?

Thanks again everyone.

Dorf

job1

Established Member
mine was so tight, I had to remove the water pump,luckely I was replacing the pump anyway

PensiveParoxysm

Established Member
I just use a couple of pipe wrenches and it loosens right up.:rockon:

Last edited:

job1

Established Member
I took mine off with the water pump,I replaced the pump anyways

junioRace

Established Member
It's always good to follow some of these threads.

I've ordered an e-fan (be here in a few days). Called Autozone and, yep, they have the two wrenches needed to remove the old fan. Guy said it was $30, and you get every penny back when you return it. Forgot to ask, but I'm changing the water pump pulley out also...hope they have a pulley puller. Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty.

bgstew6

Established Member
4 bolts hold the wp pulley to the WP...nothing but standard tools...IIRC 13mm

oh and yes lefty loosey lol

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
You could open a lawn chair and sit inside the engine bay of my buds old 74 malibu, now his new 07 mustang gt......thats a different story.

TIRE FRYER

Established Member
you can cheat and remove the fan by hitting one corner of the hex portion with an air hammer and a long blunt chisel bit, thus turning the nut counterclockwise. i used to work at a ford dealer...but you didnt hear this from me...lol
by the way, use a cheap, weak air hammer, or you may damage the water pump bearing. i never did, and ive done 300 plus cars /trucks that way

Users who are viewing this thread