Update on my engine. What is my 03 Cobra engine worth?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
For those of you following along to earlier post, the dealer is going to put a brand new engine in my car. Insurance is paying for it. I specified new so the new engine is costing $13,400 plus labor. The good news is I get to keep my old engine.

I could of had a hell of a modified engine for that price but didn't want to push my luck. I think for that price it comes complete with blower and all. What do you think my engine is worth with one bad cylinder? Oil pan has been replaced and I can drive it with full power now. The #1 cylinder just rattles like the sound of a bad catalytic converter.

A remanufactured engine is $4k+$2k core charge. I don't think the blower is included for that price.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Another '03 Cobra engine sold in the Market on this site for $3000. It had about 1,000 miles on it. Supposedly ran perfect. I believe it was complete w/supercharger. Maybe that will give you an idea of what it's worth.

matt lankford

all is sold
buy a shm bottom end, re use the heads and put a KB on it. when its done you can sell the stock motor in the car now for the 7k its going to cost you for the shm/kb setup

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
I'm new here, but went back and read your previous posts on the subject. From the problem desciption, I would expect no damage to the actual piston in #1. The more likely problem is that the rod bearing is shot. That'd be the first thing to go when you have insufficient oil flow, next would be main bearings. If that's all it is, the engine can probably be rebuilt with a crankshaft regrind and new bearings. I don't know if you can get the crank out of a 4.6 without pulling the heads, but I've done it on a 302 and a 2.3L before. It would certainly be worth checking after you get the engine home. You should be able to check the cylinder walls for scoring from the bottom end also.

Another possibility is wrist pin bearing damage, I don't know if the Cobra engine has feeds pressure to the wrist pins, I doubt it. Assuming it doesn't rely on oil pressure there should be no wrist pin bearing damage.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
If you part it out, I'd be interested in the cylinder heads.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
If I sell it, I plan on selling it complete. Hunter, I saw that post on the engine. I think Davemax (think it was his name) gave it away. An 03 Blower and lower intake w/injectors just sold on ebay for $1,950.

Matt03

Established Member
I was quoted $12,000 for a new 03 engine. Sure makes you think twice when you are about to mod it!

Users who are viewing this thread