update on my 93 Cobra 5 lug conversion...

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
So I have been trying to find a 5 lug conversion kit for Cobra and ofcourse they dont make anything specific for it. So I have been piecing together a kit. I bought some 5 lug rotors off Ebay and with a little trimming on the hub, I made it work great to fit the 03/04 Cobra wheels. The wheels are actually 18 x 9... with a 6.11 backspacing. the tire is a Toyo Proxes T1R. 255/35/18. the rotor is suppose to be a for a Saleen. I did however used a 1/8 of an inch spacer, which is very minimal and cant even tell there is a spacer there. Only problem I had is that the hub comes out to much that I cant use the "COBRA" centercaps, which kinda sucks, but I painted the dust caps black and it actually looks good.
I bought a set of 94 - 98 rear axles and was planning on re-drilling the rear rotors, but the axle hub (where the studs mount the axle shaft) is to wide and doesnt slide in the rotor, so I am screwed there. $400 down the drain.
Im now planning on finding a 94 - 98 complete axle assembly. I heard it should just bolt up.. guess I will find out soon enough.
Anyone know if thats true or have done an axle swap??
Anyways, here are pictures of it half done.

sideboth5ji.jpg

frntwhlside5oi.jpg

frontwheel1ro.jpg

Last edited:

Venomus93

Established Member
why? ya the wheels are cool, but geez, get a reg fox body and tear it up. plus i still like the oem cobra wheels compared to them.

CO9B3RA

Established Member
4- to 5-studs

To each his own as the saying goes.... There are those who like what the 5-
stud option offers. I'm one who appreciates the oe wheels: Baer does offer slotted rotors and higher perf shoes all fitting behind the turbines of
which I'm seriously thinking. The only other mod #629 has is a K & N air filter....
:coolman:

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Everyone has their own opinion.. which is cool. I dont knock that at all. I for one did like the oem cobra wheels, but I can not get anything bigger then a 245 tire on those factory sized wheels and Im sure you can agree with me on that. I go to the track alot, and 245's dont cut it at all. I drive alot on the street and hate the way the car handles with those tires aswell. you try driving a 400 horsepower car on 245 tires, lets see how long you can drive around and not get pissed off cause your car has absolutely no traction. And its not like I totally went aftermarket and got some 16 spoke ricer $hit. But anyways. I dont feel like I should defend myself, but I just wanted to clarify this... Plus, I am not the type of person to leave anything stock. I bought this car to drive the $hit out of it. Plus, I have gotten nothing but compliments on how badazz my car looks with those wheels

93SVTCobra

Established Member
It's your car and you can do what you want to with it. I've got 5 lug and Cobra R's on my 93 Cobra.

CO9B3RA

Established Member
Badazz is az badazz az yuh wannit....

One of my best local friends has a 93 Cobra...you might say I got the "bug"
from him...and he has done "his thing" in the ultimate Baer 5-stud redo for
SCCA slaloms and whatnot. My Cobra, being not abused for the investment &
pleasure it's giving me, will watch it's "buddy" being slammed around as my
friend would have his pleasure. I won't make any excuses for either use, these two 93's are fulfilling either owner's reason of having one of these cars.
Besides, his wife has the Mustang "bug" as well and wouldn't have the nerve
to tell her hisband what to do with his Mustang: he, on the other hand, is at
her beck and call to do her wishes if she can't in customizing her 96 convert.
The spectrum of Mustang owners is almost as wide as the "uses" of the Mustang.
:coolman:

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
It's your car and you can do what you want to with it. I've got 5 lug and Cobra R's on my 93 Cobra.
How did you do your rear conversion? what parts, kit, etc etc.
I heard I can basically buy any year GT/V6 rear brake parts from 94-04 years (rotors, calipers, caliper brakets, anti moan brackets, and axles) and it should work out back. Im trying to figure out all my options. Your opinion on what you did to your would be appreciated please.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
I heard I can basically buy any year GT/V6 rear brake parts from 94-04 years (rotors, calipers, caliper brakets, anti moan brackets, and axles) and it should work out back. Im trying to figure out all my options. Your opinion on what you did to your would be appreciated please.

the length of axel differs from some years. i got a 98 cobra rear end i haven't put in yet(hint for any socal guys to come by and help me) with a maximum motorsports brake line(part # in garage). so yes, 94-04 but be sure to check the length of the axel or the wheel will rub. that is the only issue

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
1BAD93SVT said:
the length of axel differs from some years. i got a 98 cobra rear end i haven't put in yet(hint for any socal guys to come by and help me) with a maximum motorsports brake line(part # in garage). so yes, 94-04 but be sure to check the length of the axel or the wheel will rub. that is the only issue

Yeah I made sure the axles that I bought (94-98) are the same lenght as the stock axles. They are 29" and 15/16's in lenght.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Stay with the 94-98 axles. The 99-04 axles, as well as the housing, are longer and will push the wheels way outside the fenderwell.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
03BlownSnake said:

I used 94-98 axles and Cobra brake parts on mine.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice job so far---I like the 18" '03-04 wheel on there. If you want to make the center cap fit, use a '94-95 spindle and Cobra 13" front brakes. I have '95 spindles and a Baer 13" (same as Cobra) front kit and my Cobra R caps fit fine.
And your on the right track out back so far. Good luck man, J

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
I used 94-98 axles and Cobra brake parts on mine.

what wheels do you have on the car? whats the back spacing? how do they fit? did you have to roll the fenders at all?
- i too am looking to go five lug in search of more traction. :??:

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
So does anybody have a definitive answer on what 5 lug conversion works? There seems to be a lot of us who want it, but aren't sure of how to go about it. I prefer not to buy a kit (from Baer, Ford, or anyone else) because of the cost. I spoke with Ford and they naturally tried to sell me their 5 lug kit ~ M2300-K, but after talking to the tech guy for a while he told me the kit includes sn95 axles (94-98) and Cobra (11.65) rear rotors. He suggested that the 10.5 rotors (same as the 93 Cobra Rs) will work with the sn95 axles along with the stock 93 calipers. Now since I am currently building my engine (351 and T60 turbo) I haven't had the opportunity to verify this, but if anyone has this knowledge, please share it with the rest. Maybe we can create a 93 cobra 5 lug guide for the website?

David

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
cheapertokeephe said:
So does anybody have a definitive answer on what 5 lug conversion works? There seems to be a lot of us who want it, but aren't sure of how to go about it. I prefer not to buy a kit (from Baer, Ford, or anyone else) because of the cost. I spoke with Ford and they naturally tried to sell me their 5 lug kit ~ M2300-K, but after talking to the tech guy for a while he told me the kit includes sn95 axles (94-98) and Cobra (11.65) rear rotors. He suggested that the 10.5 rotors (same as the 93 Cobra Rs) will work with the sn95 axles along with the stock 93 calipers. Now since I am currently building my engine (351 and T60 turbo) I haven't had the opportunity to verify this, but if anyone has this knowledge, please share it with the rest. Maybe we can create a 93 cobra 5 lug guide for the website?

David
this is what you will need. it has everything pictured but the rotors and axles.
brackets5qm.jpg

the axles you will need are from 94 through 98 mustangs
the rear rotors are all the same from 94 through 2004 mustangs (excecpt Cobra)
The calipers are all the same from 94-2004 mustangs, (except Cobra)
The yellow brackets pictured are the ones that hold the calipers to the axle housing, they are also from any 94 - 04.
The brackets that look like an exhaust clamp are not needed to buy, they come on the 93 Cobras stock housing and only have to be repositioned for them to work.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
Oh and btw...I finished my conversion today. I will have pictures up later. I think it came out great!

did you upgrade to a adjustable proporting valve and did you use the maximum motorsports rear stainless steel brake line? I just finished my rear end yesterday and didn't have to use the MM line. I swapped in a 98 cobra rear and reused the brake and soft lines. now I just need to bleed the entire system.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
1BAD93SVT said:
did you upgrade to a adjustable proporting valve and did you use the maximum motorsports rear stainless steel brake line? I just finished my rear end yesterday and didn't have to use the MM line. I swapped in a 98 cobra rear and reused the brake and soft lines. now I just need to bleed the entire system.
I didnt do any brake line upgrades, the calipers I used (94-04 mustang v6/gt) were almost identical and the factory brake lines just bolted up perfect. no modifications needed at all.
I will have pictures up later on today :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread