Upcoming Mods?!

TorchRedCobra03

TORCHER
Established Member
Just want some opinions on some mods that I should do to my cobra.

1. Is it worth it getting kooks LT? Would it sound great with my borla stingers, I know there are videos but videos don't do anything justice.

2. CCW wheels or AFS wheels? I am not a fan of my 10th anniversary wheels I need something new. I know there is a big price difference but should I wait and save up for CCW or get a nice pair of black AFS?

3. Stage III comp cams....opinions, worth it or not?

LMK what you guys think I should do

Cheers

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
1. If I did my build over again, I would go with a mid-length header. Best of shorties and long-tubes. Long tubes can cause issues with accessing the clutch down the road (ask me how I know). Bassani makes a great mid-length and catted X-pipe combo.

2. Depends on what you want. Hi end quality, then wait for the CCW. Nice wheel for decent price that has a stock appearance, then go AFS.

3. I have Crower Stage 3 cams in my Cobra, and they are FAN-****ING-TASTIC! I get compliments all the time on how my Cobra sounds like an Old School musclecar.

MG0h3

Established Member
I think the CCWs are up there as the best mod I've done to my car....performance or aesthetic.

As far as performance, headers and cams are usually on the back end of the mod list when people are trying to squeeze every last bit out of their car. Not saying they are bad mods, but if you are after power and still have the eaton, id go for a blower.

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
I thought I would be satisfied with fake CCW's, but it's just not the same. I have a set of CCW classics on the way and I'm considering getting another set (in the future) of the CCW D110's.

My next project will be building the IRS or MM K-member swap with coil overs. I just picked up the Bassani mid-length headers to complete my full Bassani exhaust and I have all the components for both projects. I trying to build the car up for what some people say is the "right way", Transmission-Suspension-Brakes-Cooling-Fuel before going with the TVS swap. Just had the transmission clutch-input shaft-quadrant-retainer sleeve etc. upgraded including the Cobra Engineering head cooling mod while the trans was out of the car.

I'm also debating going off the "right path" to get stage III cams just for the sound, I want that old school muscle car sound also!

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
1. If I did my build over again, I would go with a mid-length header. Best of shorties and long-tubes. Long tubes can cause issues with accessing the clutch down the road (ask me how I know). Bassani makes a great mid-length and catted X-pipe combo.

2. Depends on what you want. Hi end quality, then wait for the CCW. Nice wheel for decent price that has a stock appearance, then go AFS.

3. I have Crower Stage 3 cams in my Cobra, and they are FAN-****ING-TASTIC! I get compliments all the time on how my Cobra sounds like an Old School musclecar.

Did you notice any drivability issues with the stage III cams?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Did you notice any drivability issues with the stage III cams?

Well, let me clarify that I also have ugraded RAM twin-disc clutch to back it, but not really. The clutch works like an on/off switch, and the power on tap is enough that there's no need to slip the clutch to get moving. I have other mods, including a ported Eaton, 2.9 upper, 2lb lower, 26 spline input, Steeda IRS brace, and more. I love the drivability of my car. It's fun, BUT, I wouldn't use it for a daily commuter.

Couple of quick vids:

Idle....SLP long tubes, SLP catted-X, Bassani cat-back

[youtube_browser]89MDhUzLRYQ[/youtube_browser]

Inside the car a few weeks ago at VIR. Coming out of Big Oak turn in bottom of 2nd, shifting into 5th before braking. Windows down for whine/exhaust tone:

[youtube_browser]j5ILY2ljMoA[/youtube_browser]

And beating up on a Subie back in 2011. I had 18" wheel/tire combo, so spun off the line from an idle:

[youtube_browser]I1z009ocAmM[/youtube_browser]

Car has been reliable with the mods I have since 2011 and 25,000 miles.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
TR looks great with either brushed or chrome 18's AFS reps, do you want headers just for the sound?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Well, let me clarify that I also have ugraded RAM twin-disc clutch to back it, but not really. The clutch works like an on/off switch, and the power on tap is enough that there's no need to slip the clutch to get moving. I have other mods, including a ported Eaton, 2.9 upper, 2lb lower, 26 spline input, Steeda IRS brace, and more. I love the drivability of my car. It's fun, BUT, I wouldn't use it for a daily commuter.

Couple of quick vids:

Idle....SLP long tubes, SLP catted-X, Bassani cat-back

[youtube_browser]89MDhUzLRYQ[/youtube_browser]

Inside the car a few weeks ago at VIR. Coming out of Big Oak turn in bottom of 2nd, shifting into 5th before braking. Windows down for whine/exhaust tone:

[youtube_browser]j5ILY2ljMoA[/youtube_browser]

And beating up on a Subie back in 2011. I had 18" wheel/tire combo, so spun off the line from an idle:

[youtube_browser]I1z009ocAmM[/youtube_browser]

Car has been reliable with the mods I have since 2011 and 25,000 miles.

Man that sounds good.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I guess I'm one of the few that would never suggest bassani midlengths. I've seen multiple cars come in with them that have low miles yet they look like absolute dog shit, corroded, rusting, they leak very easily because they use their own gaskets which suck compared to oem. Get a quality stainless headers (kooks or arh) and you'll have nothing to worry about with fitment, longevity, quality, ground clearance, and lots of room around the trans for future clutch issues if needed. If it's worth it or not that's all up to you. they'll sound better, make things easier on the engine by dropping boost, and will gain some power but not a lot.

Wheels are something that's all personal preference. afs wheels are nice but they're not as nice as ccw or true forged or hre. I'd go ccw's or even something like rovos or forgestars over afs's just because the afs's are sooooo popular.

Cams, well it's similar to headers. Will sound awesome, makes the engine a little more efficient, but wont gain a ton of power so you have to decide if the sound and ~20whp is worth it. Doing cams right especially if you have to pay someone to install them is quite a bit of money tho.

Users who are viewing this thread