Unusual brake pad wear

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Guys-
I’m perplexed. Did a 180 mile cruise on Sunday and everything was fine until I got off the freeway coming home. Had a wide variety of ugly sounds coming from the passenger side rear wheel area as I decelerated on the off ramp. I assumed brakes since there was clearly some unusual contact happening with something turning based on the sounds. Pulled in a lot to inspect and the inside of the rim had a nice coating of brake dust. Figured the inside pad material had maybe separated from the backing, the butterfly clip had come off...etc. Nothing major that I couldn’t diagnose and fix easily. Pulled everything apart last night and this is what I found. I just did the brakes last summer and have maybe 500miles on them.
Image1587476388.428430.jpg

Image1587476417.289932.jpg

All I can come up with is that mayyyybe the pad wasn’t seated properly and one of the notches on the piston (the divots used for turning) caught the middle nubby on the back of the pad which tweaked it into a funky angle. Ran it by a couple car buddies and we’re all puzzled. Lol Piston turns smoothly, pins aren’t seized, so I lubed it all up and put it back together.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Agree with post not lined up.

Also clean and relube the guide pins

Which you did should be good now

Only thing after would be a really bad wheel bearing

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks.
It didn't make any noise all day, even during/after some spirited back road driving. Only showed up after slowing down following a steady 70-75mph freeway jaunt for about 45min. It made the same noises once last year under similar circumstances, but didn't spit out excessive brake dust. It also never did it again until Sunday. Maybe I'll take it for a short drive after work today and see what happens.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Wheel bearing took a dump after all. It didn't make the typical noises so I didn't really think twice. Lifted her back up yesterday to check anyway and sure as shit, wheel shimmies back and forth. Yippee hooray...

hotcobra03

Established Member
Wheel bearing took a dump after all. It didn't make the typical noises so I didn't really think twice. Lifted her back up yesterday to check anyway and sure as shit, wheel shimmies back and forth. Yippee hooray...

Fun job.

I had brought a press when I did my first set.

Not a tool you use a lot but I’ve used it for other repairs on car that will come up.

I’m glad I did. It was worth it.

And disassembles easy for storing

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Luckily I manage a fleet maintenance shop so I have access to a 36mm socket and gigantic torque wrenches. lol And a press along with several guys who have an idea what they're doing since I've never used one. And to top it all off, I live about 25min away from Full Tilt Boogie that just so happens to have all the parts in stock.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Sucks about the bad wheel bearing but it's a plus you live close to Full Tilt Boggie Racing. Bruce and the gang will get you fixed up and it will be done right.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Everything's all paid for and set aside for me. Gonna slip out of work early tomorrow and head over there. Got 3/4 of the way through yanking the knuckle off last night between these goofy home workouts and dinner time.

Users who are viewing this thread