Unstable idle, engine bogs, power loss.

redsvt99

Established Member
The cobra was running good yesterday and today it decided to act up. I was on my way to work (5 mins away) and about halfway the car just started to sputter and died. I had to pull over and called AAA. It took them 30 mins to get there and I decided to try to start the car one last time after numerous attempts. It started up and I drove it home and the tow truck followed me home just in case. It felt like it was back to normal. Tow dude said it could have been a clogged up injector.
After work, I came home and started my car. It started right up but it has a very unstable idle. I test drove it and when the engine is under load, the car bogs really bad. I drove it back home and check engine came on. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and my be able to help me out. I'm gonna try to get scanner tomorrow and hopefully retrieve a code that is an easy fix.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Try unplugging the MAF to put the computer into limp mode. See if it runs any better that way.

redsvt99

Established Member
Unplugging the MAF doesn't seem to make a difference. I did take the MAF off and cleaned those delicate wires using Qtips and carb cleaner. Test drove it and it rides smooth but the idle gets erratic as the rpm come down to idle speed. It hesitates then then idles steadily. I guess this means new maf? Should I sticks with oem or are there some good aftermarket ones the consider. I might do a rebuilt with supercharger down the road, I mean way down the road.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You shouldn't touch the MAF wires with anything. Just spray them down. If it runs fine while cruising and just acts up at idle then it the IAC is probably going bad. You can try taking it off and cleaning it. If the idle gets better then you know you're on the right track.

As for the MAF, if you change to an aftermarket MAF you'll need a tune to go with it.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What are your mods? You don't have an aftermarket throttle body, do you? Do you have a blower with a blow-thru mass air system? Aftermarket throttle bodies, especially the BBK's like to stick and mess with the TPS sensor.

Even if you don't have a blower, there could be un-metered air leaking into the system (vacuum leak).

I've dealt with these issues before, both sticking idle, and low stalling idle. Most of them have to do with the MAF and intake piping. Those that don't usually have to do with the throttle body You can also check the voltage at the connector of the MAF to make sure it's in spec.

Users who are viewing this thread