Unsafe Start ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
I was curious about a ticket I got a while back. It was around 11pm, I was driving home from work and was stopped at a red light. there were no cars on the road so it turned green rather quickly and I went on my merry way.
Now, for some reason or another I gave it a little gas in first gear (not breaking traction in first tho, or when i started, didnt launch or anything like that) and chirped into second, getting up to my 45mph speed limit and then cruising in 4th. I drove for about a minute until I see a speeding cop in my rearview, lights blazing. I slow down (thank god) and I see him coming up on my drivers side real fast, he then cuts RIGHT in fron of me and SLAMS on his brakes to stop me. (Whatever happened to pulling someone over by just lighting them up?) He gets out, hand on his gun, screams for me to turn off my car. He asks me , "What was that all about back there?" I told him I accelerated a bit faster than i normally due bc I wanted to get home, but I did not break the posted speed limit. He accuses me of street racing and told me I could go to jail and get my car taken away for that.
2 more cop cars show up, they make me wait in my car for about 20 minutes while I see them laughing away chatting it up in my rearview. In the meantime, not one care has driven by and there were no cars around when he pulled me over a bout a min after I started moving after the green light. He comes back, gives me an unsafe start ticket, and I went home. I ended up going to court for the ticket and getting the fine reduced to about 80 bucks, but it was still a PITA for me. Any of you LEO's think this was a bit harsh?
There is nothing I'm not telling you here.

03svtsnakevert

COPASNICKA
Established Member
Well, I do believe that it was harsh...you generally only see the unsafe start citation come out when there has been an accident...I would not have cited you for the "unsafe start" but I would have warned you about taking off aggressively...generally, if it was late at night they were looking for something else other than stopping you for a minor traffic infraction...they were looking for a DWI for something else...

I would have just gave you a warning for driving somewhat aggressively...Glad to hear that you excercised your rights and got the fine reduced...

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Thanks for the response. I got this ticket over a year ago, but it has always bugged me. It upped my insurance by almost 300 bucks, so it has been a bit aggrevating. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought it was a bit over the top.

SoonToBeASnake

Established Member
Removed by Moderator.

This is not smackdown and that kind of language is not appreciated here.

Please read the quidelines for THIS forum and follow them when posting.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Must ... restrain.... myself.... :mj: Must ... follow... the guidelines.... :fm:

K... i'm over it. :D

Last edited:

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
It sure is funny to read this forum. Everybody that gets a ticket is always sooooooo upset and they "weren't doing anything wrong!" Instead of bad-mouthing cops, look in the mirror and be honest.......maybe you were doing something unsafe or against the law. Usually, if you're just nice to us, we'll let you off with a warning. Besides, it sure is fun to see people get sooooooo mad about a little ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
TRUBLU L said:
Besides, it sure is fun to see people get sooooooo mad about a little ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats up with that statement??? seriously.. wtf.. Yea, its real hilarious that you pull someone over and they now have to pay twice as much to drive their car every year, btu atleast you got a laugh out of it.

Now before I get harassed by the LEOs here about "He did something illegal and he deserves the ticket!" Yes, he DOES deserve the ticket, he disobeyed the law. However, TRUBLU L should issue the ticket for disobeying the law, nto to get a cheap laugh at someone elses expense. I'm not trying to flame here, but that kind of attitude is the reason why most people are afraid of cops. The handful of power trippers that get their jollies off of busting some minor infractors balls causes mistrust between civvies and cops. I myself have wanted to be a trooper since i was a kid, however, i would do my best to be fair and judge my course of action on the situation and circumstances, not on "God Id love to see the look on this assholes face when i give him this ticket, damn I feel tough."

Sorry for the rant, and I hope i dont get banned.. :rockon:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
JasonFC said:
Whats up with that statement??? seriously.. wtf.. Yea, its real hilarious that you pull someone over and they now have to pay twice as much to drive their car every year, btu atleast you got a laugh out of it.

Now before I get harassed by the LEOs here about "He did something illegal and he deserves the ticket!" Yes, he DOES deserve the ticket, he disobeyed the law. However, TRUBLU L should issue the ticket for disobeying the law, nto to get a cheap laugh at someone elses expense. I'm not trying to flame here, but that kind of attitude is the reason why most people are afraid of cops. The handful of power trippers that get their jollies off of busting some minor infractors balls causes mistrust between civvies and cops. I myself have wanted to be a trooper since i was a kid, however, i would do my best to be fair and judge my course of action on the situation and circumstances, not on "God Id love to see the look on this assholes face when i give him this ticket, damn I feel tough."

Sorry for the rant, and I hope i dont get banned.. :rockon:

TRUBLU L never said he gave tickets just to get a cheap laugh. He said it was an added benefit. He enjoys his job. If he writes a valid ticket and gets enjoyment out of that, what is wrong with that? Plenty of people relish in other's misfortune. There are dentists that laugh at people when they feel pain in the chair. And so on!

But he never said this
God Id love to see the look on this assholes face when i give him this ticket, damn I feel tough

Before your next post please read the guidelines and the stickies at the top of the threads page, it will help you in understanding how and why this forum is moderated differently than the others and what will get you in trouble.

Thanks for your cooperation.

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
I know FordSVTFan, its just that his statement completely left me dumbfounded. I know people laugh at others misfortune, I myself laugh when a guy gets hammered in the jibbs, pain heals, however, if some less fortunate person gets a hole burned in their pocket and cant afford to heat their house that week, and people are laughing at them, that is just plain wrong. I dont know the ticketees financial situation, but taking someones money is never something to laugh over, it could be their next meal.

EDIT: I read the guidelines, and I didnt intend to flame him, altho I probably did, in which case Ill edit the post, or you can remove it. I was just shocked at such insensitivity

Last edited:

Lawman85

Banned
JasonFC said:
I know FordSVTFan, its just that his statement completely left me dumbfounded. I know people laugh at others misfortune, I myself laugh when a guy gets hammered in the jibbs, pain heals, however, if some less fortunate person gets a hole burned in their pocket and cant afford to heat their house that week, and people are laughing at them, that is just plain wrong. I dont know the ticketees financial situation, but taking someones money is never something to laugh over, it could be their next meal.

That person's money is taken for punishment reasons. I run into this all the time. I stop someone for speeding, say 65 in a 45, they aren't wearing their seatbelt, and they don't have their kid buckled up. I write them 3 tickets, probably close to $500 and several points on their license and they respond with "Sir, I really don't have any money to pay these." My response is "If you knew you didn't have any money, then maybe you should pay more attention to your driving.".

Bottom line is this: We don't force the people to break the law, we are just their to catch them when they do, and for that, we get cussed, yelled at, and accused of everything from racism to a government conspiracy. If you get stopped and the officer issues you a warning, consider yourself lucky. If you do something wrong and get a ticket, then the officer is still just doing his job, get over it and drive better.

That being said, it is fun to watch the look on some people's faces when they get some little ticket, like a seatbelt. I had a lady try crying to get out of a seatbelt ticket, which is $15 and a non-moving, non-points citation.

03svtsnakevert

COPASNICKA
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
That person's money is taken for punishment reasons. I run into this all the time. I stop someone for speeding, say 65 in a 45, they aren't wearing their seatbelt, and they don't have their kid buckled up. I write them 3 tickets, probably close to $500 and several points on their license and they respond with "Sir, I really don't have any money to pay these." My response is "If you knew you didn't have any money, then maybe you should pay more attention to your driving.".

Bottom line is this: We don't force the people to break the law, we are just their to catch them when they do, and for that, we get cussed, yelled at, and accused of everything from racism to a government conspiracy. If you get stopped and the officer issues you a warning, consider yourself lucky. If you do something wrong and get a ticket, then the officer is still just doing his job, get over it and drive better.

That being said, it is fun to watch the look on some people's faces when they get some little ticket, like a seatbelt. I had a lady try crying to get out of a seatbelt ticket, which is $15 and a non-moving, non-points citation.

Preach on Brother!!

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Right on Lawman87!!!!!!!! The response from JasonFC is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! See how mad he got? And I didn't even write him a ticket! I LOVE GUYS LIKE THAT

98svtconvert

Established Member
to go along with this, i think that people get mad about little tickets and insencitivity because it seems like some leo's seem to forget that they also break the law. the difference is that they can get away with most little things, like speeding, because they are leo's. don't get me wrong, every job has its own bennifits, but that doesn't make it right. i agree with the fact that if someone does something wrong, they should pay for it. i have had a couple tickets, speeding, and i have excepted them and went on my way. as stated before, if you do something wrong, just except responcibility. it does upset me when i see people abusing their power but it is only a few that do it and that is where cops get a bad name from. there are plenty out there that are nice and understanding.

Justin

numbaonestunna

Established Member
seriously...

FordSVTFan said:
TRUBLU L never said he gave tickets just to get a cheap laugh. He said it was an added benefit. He enjoys his job. If he writes a valid ticket and gets enjoyment out of that, what is wrong with that? Plenty of people relish in other's misfortune. There are dentists that laugh at people when they feel pain in the chair. And so on!

Thanks for your cooperation.

...reading your above post, are you kidding me? "There are dentists that laugh at people when they feel pain in the chair...." , and what's wrong with that? Would YOU go to a dentist that laughed at your pain in the chair? (I'm assuming the answer is no, if it is yes, then please tell me why!)

The reason you wouldn't is twofold...

1) That dentist is twisted.
2) There is an increased likelihood that the dentist would take actions that would increase your pain, thus increasing his pleasure.

Similarly, if an LEO enjoys the pain that he causes from giving tickets so much, there is an increased likelihood that he or she is going to be overzealous in giving out tickets, thereby increasing his or her pleasure. This may result in the LEO issuing an overly gratutitous amount of tickets, or unnecessarily escalating a minor issue (such as above, the unsafe start) into a major one.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
numbaonestunna said:
...reading your above post, are you kidding me? "There are dentists that laugh at people when they feel pain in the chair...." , and what's wrong with that? Would YOU go to a dentist that laughed at your pain in the chair? (I'm assuming the answer is no, if it is yes, then please tell me why!)

Because I have known him for years.

The reason you wouldn't is twofold...

1) That dentist is twisted.
2) There is an increased likelihood that the dentist would take actions that would increase your pain, thus increasing his pleasure.

And when I played cards with a few of his colleagues they also where amused at peoples pain, although not outright laughing in their faces.

Similarly, if an LEO enjoys the pain that he causes from giving tickets so much, there is an increased likelihood that he or she is going to be overzealous in giving out tickets, thereby increasing his or her pleasure. This may result in the LEO issuing an overly gratutitous amount of tickets, or unnecessarily escalating a minor issue (such as above, the unsafe start) into a major one.

See now your whole diatribe is premised on the amount the L.E.O. enjoys giving tickets. So, if it is a healthy amount that is satisfied during the normal course of his day then it wouldnt cause an increase in the amount of tickets issued or escalating a minor issue. You read one too many psych books.

I enjoy serving warrants and especially high risk ones. That doesnt mean that I go around looking for things that I could turn into a reason to get a warrant:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread