Unknown high pitch noise!

Dekorum

Established Member
I've always had this noise that I finally wanted to address. You can usually only hear it inside the car when the windows are closed. It is a constant high pitch beep that is ALWAYS there, except when the engine is off. The noise changes pitch when you put your foot on the brake. For example, it makes a high pitch buzz constantly and when your hold your foot on the brakes it makes a slightly lower pitch noise constantly. You can kind of hear the sound in the beginning of this exhaust video I made, from the rear outside of the car! You can notice the sound better when I step on the brakes for a second and the pitch changes, at 0:06.
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=B47CxNB1Hw4"]YouTube - cobra parking[/ame]

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
all i hear is the fuel pump going up and down. let it idle, layy under the tank and have someone give it a lil gas and hold the brake like ya said. see if that is it. my buddies 92 fox vert's fuel pump is LOUD. and it is a factory pump, with 200,000 on it

Dekorum

Established Member
I thought it might have been the fuel pump, since I am still on the stock pump at 85k miles. Well I don't need to give it any gas or hold the brake to go under the gas tank and listen. I'll just let the car idle and it makes the noise. It always makes the noise, but for some reason the pitch changes when I step on the brakes. If it is the fuel pump why would stepping on the brakes change its sound? If I get a new pump would it stop the noise?
Does your pump make noise?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I thought it might have been the fuel pump, since I am still on the stock pump at 85k miles. Well I don't need to give it any gas or hold the brake to go under the gas tank and listen. I'll just let the car idle and it makes the noise. It always makes the noise, but for some reason the pitch changes when I step on the brakes. If it is the fuel pump why would stepping on the brakes change its sound? If I get a new pump would it stop the noise?
Does your pump make noise?

The R-Models are loud, especially the 93R. With no rear seat or sound deadener and just a thin piece of carpet over the rear floor area, and the tank just below that, the pump whines from the time you start the car until you shut it off. Since the 93R is a hatchback car and has no inner framework like the 95R, the sound is funneled to the front seats. It does sound like a race car in that way, not to mention the no sound deadener in the doors, they rattle like a tin can when you close them. It is a unique experience.

R

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
mine doesnt make a loud noise, but if your under the rear of the car with it running you can hear the whine. but i have a 190 pump also, so its not that old. only reason i can figure the change in noise is when you hit your brake lamps, there could be a small voltage drop to the pump. its probably nothing to worry about. espally if it only changes tunes when the lamps are on.

Dekorum

Established Member
The R-Models are loud, especially the 93R. With no rear seat or sound deadener and just a thin piece of carpet over the rear floor area, and the tank just below that, the pump whines from the time you start the car until you shut it off. Since the 93R is a hatchback car and has no inner framework like the 95R, the sound is funneled to the front seats. It does sound like a race car in that way, not to mention the no sound deadener in the doors, they rattle like a tin can when you close them. It is a unique experience.

R

Yeah mine got louder as I took out the rear seats.

Dekorum

Established Member
The voltage drop because of the brakes sounds very possible.
If a brand new pump whines just as loud then I'm not even going to worry about it. I thought I was the only car with this issue. I guess its most people with mustangs then.
On the other hand, if I decide to get a new 190 or 255 pump would I notice a difference in performance? What would decide whether I got the 190 or 255. Sorry I kinda changed the subject of the thread now haha.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
depends on the power you plan on making. ive always read (maybe someone can verfy) that a 190 pump is good to like 425-450 hp. only reason i replaced/upgraded mine, was when i got the car, it had a long/hard start problem. pump was going bad, and a new ford unit was like 250 or so my cost. so i paid around $100 for a 190 pump, then got a adjustable regulator. figured i might as well upgrade if i had to replace it. only diffrence i noticed with the pump was a lil more pep on tip in with the throttle. no REAL power gains though

Dekorum

Established Member
I'd probably get a 190 then if thats true. They are pretty cheap too. Did you do the labor yourself or how much was the install? You have to drop the tank right? Also, do you need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a 190 fuel pump?

Do you need a better throttle response or what? You think it will also decrease my start up time? (you can hear my current start up time in that video)

BTW, who likes my new magnaflow catback with my LTs and O/R H combo? I think that is the first good exhaust video I've posted.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
I'd probably get a 190 then if thats true. They are pretty cheap too. Did you do the labor yourself or how much was the install? You have to drop the tank right? Also, do you need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a 190 fuel pump?

Do you need a better throttle response or what? You think it will also decrease my start up time? (you can hear my current start up time in that video)

BTW, who likes my new magnaflow catback with my LTs and O/R H combo? I think that is the first good exhaust video I've posted.

I have a stock 190lph pump out of my 98 if you need one? I think the lines are the same. I'll do a quick search and check it out.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i did the labor myself ( i work at a ford dealer so i have lifts and whatnot) you will need a adjustable regulator and thats it. also get a new filler neck seal for the gas tank. because it will rip, and you will loose gas after you put it all back together. its not that bad once you get the pump/sender assy. out of the tank.

Dekorum

Established Member
190 lph is stock for the 94-95 Cobra? If your talking a stock 190 from a 98 Cobra I don't think it will work. I saw online that specific 255s were for 96-98 Cobras and other 255s were for 87-04 for example.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
no... 110 is stock for a 5.0 cobra. and in 98 they changed the fuel system i think. thats why pumps are listed 94-97, and exaust and etc..

Dekorum

Established Member
110, okay. I just wasn't sure why he said a stock 190 out his 98. I wouldn't think even a 98 with the newer fuel system would come stock with a 190. I think that the 96-98 Cobras use the same pumps though. 94-97 would probably be GTs.

What brand pump and FPR did you get?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread