Universal Studios - Orlando

Kel

Established Member
Taking a quick vacation in a few weeks and staying in Orlando, curious where the best places are to get discounted tickets to Universal, etc may be for 1-2 maybe 3 days max? Prefer not to attend a seminar on time shares if at all possible :p Thanks!

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
3 days is hardly enough time to see anything. i stayed 10 days few years back and still didnt get to do it all. try expedia for discount tickets.

Kel

Established Member
I'm sure you're right, just a quick trip to get out of this cold weather (-15 here late last week) and coincide with a few days off my son's school. I'll check out Expedia, planning a trip via Spirit Airlines they bundle 3 day packages for $145/PP in addition to air fare/car, wasn't sure of the going rate these days. Thanks.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
You can see all of Universal and Islands in 1 day easily, they are my favorite parks and me and the wife used to go for just weekends when we had year passes. If it is your first time it will take you 2 days to go to both parks and ride every ride if you want to see everything.

The trick to it is using single rider lines on the more popular rides which really is only Harry potter in Universal and Rip it and Transformers in Islands.

If you are a fan of Harry Potter and you have 3 days this is what I would do for the first time there

Day 1 get to the park early, go straight to harry potter ride and wait in the regular line to see the entire castle it has so much going on. Go on the roller coaster right next to it then hit up the rest of the park, shows, etc. Once you get through the Harry Potter ride nothing else really ever has long lines especially if you go during the week.

Day 2 go to Islands and just ride everything, 2 best rides IMO here are Mummy and Simpsons with Simpsons being the other ride that really gets lines, on this ride you can use single rider line as you don't really see the person sitting next to you during the ride anyway.

Day 3 if you have park hopper just go to either park if your intent is to only ride rides then just hit up every single rider line there is if there is a wait time.

Single rider line will cut the wait time down from 60 minutes to about 10 for any ride, while on the rides except the few roller coasters you don't really notice what is going on beside you so who you sit next to really doesn't matter, the Harry Potter ride you have a partition between each rider, spiderman and transformers you are paying attention to the screen. Spiderman sometimes has a line but most of the time does not. Don't bother with fast pass just do single rider line as it is free and you can go as many times as you like.

When they did a soft opening for Transformers I was in the park that day, the line was 3 hours long, it took me 5 minutes by using the single rider line.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Finding ticket deals are pretty tough. 3 days is plenty to see and do everything in both Universal Parks. Their express pass deals are not that great. I think it was an additional $89 per person, but that only get's you a cut to the front of the line one time per attraction. I just went a few months ago. Transformers was IMO the best "ride" there. I still don't completely understand exactly how some of the effect was achieved, but it was definitely awesome. The Spiderman ride and the Harry Potter rides are similar, but ride Transformers first since it's the best IMO.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
I should add depending on your sons age he can do single rider too just put him between you and your wife, you or the wife goes first, then your son then the other parent that way he is never off the ride alone. If he is to small for the rides they have child swap where one parent goes into a waiting room with him while the other rides then you switch out with no waiting time. My son was 8 months the first time we went with him and he went on some of the "rides" such as twister and despicable me and loved it.

Now my son is 2 and a half and my daughter is 5 months we are planning a trip to Disneyworld for July because he is at the age of loving all of the movies and characters.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I was at Universal in July. I can't help you on the tickets unfortunately, I got mine through Royal Caribbean as part of a package deal with a cruise that my wife and I went on prior to going to Universal.

My comments - Two days is enough time for Universal and Islands of Adventure, 3 days and you'll absolutely be able to see and ride everything. Definitely get the park-to-park pass or whatever its called there. It's worth it. Also, if you're into the Harry Potter stuff, make sure you're there for early admission into the park and head to the new Diagon Alley section and the Gringott's ride immediately. Wait times were over 5 hours for that ride when my wife and I were there. The ride doesn't accept fast passes and even the single riders line took us 2.5 hours to get through, and we even got in line probably 7-10 minutes after the early admission opening.

If you're taking a family, get the fast-passes. They'll be worth their weight in gold (word of caution, as I mentioned, some rides don't accept them). If it's just you and one other person, don't spend the money on the fast-passes. As someone else said, the single riders line is key to Universal. I'd say 9 times out of 10 you'll get on the same ride together and the wait is hugely shorter, by hours in some cases.

Last edited:

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Also sometimes if you stay at the on site hotels you get access to the park before it officially opens and maybe even discount on tickets.

Kel

Established Member
Thanks for all the details guys, looks like pricing is pretty even across the board - Spirit airlines has them as an option, $145/3 days which seems in line with everyone else (remind me to buy Disney stock :) ). Have to look into the fast pass vs single line option with the wifey. Worst case it was -15 here late last week, Orlando has to be warmer at least! :coolman:

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Fast pass is useless, the wife and I found that out the hard way. Only applies once to each ride and the rides with long rides usually don't even have it. Single rider is faster and free, it is the best way to see the parks and be able to ride everything they have to offer.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I really enjoyed my trip there, even though it was 17 yrs ago when I was a kid. I was only there for a day, and saw a lot of the part, but didnt get to enjoy it near as much as what I wanted. I would suggest a few days 2-3.

Users who are viewing this thread