Unimpressive mustang GT test drive.

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
On a whim I decided to go car shopping today. I'm in the market for a new ride but I'm still up in the air about what I want to get. I've had 2 rangers before and really liked them. I drove them for years without any trouble. I also had a 96 cobra which was a hell of a lot of fun.

I've been looking for a nice clean 03/04 cobra within an hour or so of where I live but I've come up enpty handed. That would be nice but I don't need that. I can't even find a nice clean 01 though. Considering this I expanded my search to new mustang GTs.

Hard top, 5 speed, color isn't really an issue as long as it isn't red, black, or green. I found one today that I liked. I apparently look respectable enough because they handed me the keys and said "enjoy". I took it out for a spin and honestly it just didn't do it for me. These things are supposed to have 300HP but it sure as hell didn't feel like anywhere near that. I wasn't out ragging it out but I did get on it a few times. The thing was just a dog in every gear. The ride and handling was decent and the interior was a perfect fit for me comfort wise though. Now that I've driven one I like the way they look a whole lot more too. The one thing that really irritated me was that the shifting wasn't smooth at all. There was a distinct stop when going through neutral. In other words, there was no speed shifting. By the time I could clunk through the two steps from 1st to 2nd the rpms were back down to idle.

So my two main compaints were the shifting not being smooth and the perceived lack of power. The car had 10 miles on it so I thought maybe it just needs to be broken in. I'd expect that to loosen the shifting up but I doubt it will help the dogginess. I wondered too if an aftermarket shifter would eliminate that issue. After that I think I'm going to write the new mustangs off and say to hell with it and get another ranger.

Was it just me? Did I just test drive a factory turd? I want to read some other opinions or stories about the new mustang GTs.

Thanks,

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
With only 10 miles on it, it's probably not going to feel right. Things are not broken in yet and it will be down on power.

Try to test drive a used one.

REPCobra10

Established Member
The '05+ Mustangs are noticeably heavier than the '99-'04 Mustangs are so that extra 40hp isn't doing much for it as it has to pull more weight. My old man has an '05 with intake, exhaust, and a tune and it only runs 13.70's @ ~102 mph. Maybe you drove a factory turd because some people get very good times with them with just a few mods and others don't, like my old man. Honestly, the new GT's are poorly made. The thing squeaks all over the place in the cabin and you can't get rid of it. They look OK but I still really havn't taken to the new body style yet. Anyways, good luck with your car shopping man. Take it easy.

FBMphil

Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
The '05+ Mustangs are noticeably heavier than the '99-'04 Mustangs are so that extra 40hp isn't doing much for it as it has to pull more weight. My old man has an '05 with intake, exhaust, and a tune and it only runs 13.70's @ ~102 mph. Maybe you drove a factory turd because some people get very good times with them with just a few mods and others don't, like my old man. Honestly, the new GT's are poorly made. The thing squeaks all over the place in the cabin and you can't get rid of it. They look OK but I still really havn't taken to the new body style yet. Anyways, good luck with your car shopping man. Take it easy.
Your old man must not be able to drive then, since the new GT's have been hitting 13.4-13.5 bone stock.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
A lot of the "seat-of-the-pants" feel is missing due to the lack of an actual throttle cable and it being electronic. I assume that the computer controls the opening of the throttle body and any RPM and always trys to make it smooth, therefore the car looses some responsiveness....at least that's what I've heard.....I'll stick with my Cobra :D

-Mike

REPCobra10

Established Member
FBMphil said:
Your old man must not be able to drive then, since the new GT's have been hitting 13.4-13.5 bone stock.

It's an automatic so how hard is it to drive? Anyways, down here in S. Florida I've yet to see any stock GT's, automatic or manual, run 13.40's at Moroso. They are all high 13's stock from what I see. There is a few that I see with nitrous and blowers and such putting up low 12's and high 11's. I think my old man's GT is a turd though, but it's hard to compare coming from a Terminator. No other car makes me happy. All, take it easy.

bssmith1220

Established Member
Most of you guys with terminators are gonna think that they are turds. They must not be to bad if they run mid 13's stock. But I will agree that I don't like the looks yet, and the inside is cheap.

Gixx1300R

Established Member
spike_africa said:
damn that sucks there was an old man at my local track stock 05 auto went 13.8@102 all he did was flash it out of the hole.

I believe that old man you are talking about is me and yes I went 13.73 at 101 bone stock and that was with a crappy 60".Tell your old man to learn how to drive.

Run2.gif

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
We have 2 local 05's around here, and both are pretty impressive. One has intake/exhaust, and DR's, and his best so far is 13.1 @ 106. The other has intake/exhaust, tune, DR's, and just recently had 4.10's put in. His first run with them he went 13.0 @ 108, and his 2nd run he blew out the clutch. Had the clutch held up, I think he would have seen 12's with just basic bolt ons.

Guess they got lucky?

Nick85

Banned
Mine pulls high 12's and gets compliments almost everyday including a Lamborghini Diablo VT owner who rolled down his window to tell me my car was badass.

Bsssmith1220- how the hell can you say it looks cheap inside? You drive an 04! The epitomy of cheap american garbage interior :bs:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
NyteByte said:
With only 10 miles on it, it's probably not going to feel right. Things are not broken in yet and it will be down on power.

Try to test drive a used one.

+666 :poke:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Nick85 said:
Mine pulls high 12's and gets compliments almost everyday including a Lamborghini Diablo VT owner who rolled down his window to tell me my car was badass.

Bsssmith1220- how the hell can you say it looks cheap inside? You drive an 04! The epitomy of cheap american garbage interior :bs:

Oh God, I thought we went over this in smackdown. Don't start another Terminator VS 05 flame war again damnit.

My friend has an 06 V6 and he complains about the electric throttle. He has about 2K miles on it and there are some squeaks in it already.

For GT's, all I see is high 13's at the track, video, talking to people whatever.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Gixx1300R said:
I believe that old man you are talking about is me and yes I went 13.73 at 101 bone stock and that was with a crappy 60".Tell your old man to learn how to drive.

Run2.gif

How old are you? I have a buddy who's old and has a blue 05 GT and ran a 13.8@102 at bithlo.

hahahaha.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
FordRacing200 said:
I took out a new one and had the same feeling, doggy trash, wouldn't even spin the tires!!

Auto or stick? The torque mang system kills a lot with the power. A lot.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I find it extremely lame of people who own SN95's to trash S197's.

I had 4, yes 4, SN95 Mustangs, and it is nowhere near as nice as the S197, which I've never owned but driven several hundred miles. GT to GT, the new car is better. Period. If you don't like the look fine, but don't claim the old car is better. Especially the interior.

Just because you don't own it doesn't mean you have to be a hateful cockwang about it.

Users who are viewing this thread