unhook odometer 2004 cobra

JuNioRopolous

Whaaboooosh
Established Member
bought the car a while back, engine has been rebuilt, want to unhook it permanenetely like some people do for whatever reason they have, its strictly a track car now and would like it to show up as 000,000, nothing at all or start over at 000,000 as if it were brand new and atleast close to what it actaully has on the block, any help is appreciated guys, im in my garage working on the exhaust as i type this and would like to get this done tonight as well, everybody chime in!!!!

VtekII

Established Member
if you ever sell it, its not actual miles. if its strictly going to be a track car why does it matter? why not just document its current mileage and track it that way... i understand y you want to do it, but its shady as hell!

bscarberry

Established Member
It's odometer fraud because you're tampering with the odometer... doesn't matter why you want to do it it's illegal

JuNioRopolous

Whaaboooosh
Established Member
if you ever sell it, its not actual miles. if its strictly going to be a track car why does it matter? why not just document its current mileage and track it that way... i understand y you want to do it, but its shady as hell!

well this is my first vehicle to buy by myself without my parents help like my first vehicle when i was 15, and you know how that goes, i will never sell this car in my life time, may give to my kids when i have them, i just dont want it showing so many miles when thats not really what it has if you know what im saying, shady i can see where youre coming from, but how do you go about resetting it ive searched around google and cant pinpoint exactly what im looking for, and am just looking for help to acheive this goal, is there a cord directly behind the odometer that can be unhooked or something?

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Yeah man just cause its your car doesnt mean you are legally aloud to alter the odometer.

In any event, you really cant do it. The wire that feeds the odometer also feeds the mph to the car so if you dont want your mph then you can possible cut the vehicle speed wire.

Or you can find a crook that can change the odometer, more than likely at a body shop somewhere, and have them make the odometer whatever you want. I only know of such people in Miami.

JuNioRopolous

Whaaboooosh
Established Member
It's odometer fraud because you're tampering with the odometer... doesn't matter why you want to do it it's illegal

so is lowering the car, having no cats, taking out the passenger head light for more air to the intake i mean all those are against the law too if you think about it

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
so is lowering the car, having no cats, taking out the passenger head light for more air to the intake i mean all those are against the law too if you think about it

Not trying to be a dick and I think others are trying to help you too, but there is a difference between a "fix it ticket" for no cats and a federal criminal charge (plus civil liability - you can be sued for 3X damages) for odo tampering. I think that people are trying to steer you clear of it. I think the "shady" question does come in to play because most of us have owned dozens of cars and have all had cars we "thought" we'd keep forever (and we didn't).

Point is - the ONLY reason to disconnect an odo is to try to BS someone about its mileage later in the car's life - which IS shady. That said, it's your car - go nuts.

JuNioRopolous

Whaaboooosh
Established Member
Not trying to be a dick and I think others are trying to help you too, but there is a difference between a "fix it ticket" for no cats and a federal criminal charge (plus civil liability - you can be sued for 3X damages) for odo tampering. I think that people are trying to steer you clear of it. I think the "shady" question does come in to play because most of us have owned dozens of cars and have all had cars we "thought" we'd keep forever (and we didn't).

Point is - the ONLY reason to disconnect an odo is to try to BS someone about its mileage later in the car's life - which IS shady. That said, it's your car - go nuts.

I completely understand where youre coming from

GodStang

Established Member
It is possible to and really easy but not teaching someone how to break the law. Thats not what this site if for. The Odometer IS NOT what the engine has on it its what the CAR has on it (Transmission, rearend, suspension, seats, doors, body, and so on). Its illegal either way.

RussZTT

Established Member
No point in taking out the headlight unless you took it out when it was dyno tuned.

RussZTT

Established Member
it is possible to and really easy but not teaching someone how to break the law. Thats not what this site if for. The odometer is not what the engine has on it its what the car has on it (transmission, rearend, suspension, seats, doors, body, and so on). Its illegal either way.
+1

20-COBRA-03

Banned
wow can't believe people are shitting their pants about this... for the time being, its his car and he can do any thing to it that he damn well pleases... if he decides to sell it down the road, and the odometer is inaccurate... he will have to take the chance of being caught. i'm sure that whether or not you would like to admit it, there's plenty of cars running around that have had their odo's disconnected... or even rolled back... too bad the only way it could come back fraudulent would be from documented mileage from service records, huh?

I guess i should be burned at the stake because i've driven mine with my speedometer reading off... you all better make sure that you change your pinion to axle values when you throw those 28" mickey thompson's on for the track.

Last edited:

RussZTT

Established Member
wow can't believe people are shitting their pants about this... for the time being, its his car and he can do any thing to it that he damn well pleases... if he decides to sell it down the road, and the odometer is inaccurate... he will have to take the chance of being caught. i'm sure that whether or not you would like to admit it, there's plenty of cars running around that have had their odo's disconnected... or even rolled back... too bad the only way it could come back fraudulent would be from documented mileage from service records, huh?

I guess i should be burned at the stake because i've driven mine with my speedometer reading off... you all better make sure that you change your pinion to axle values when you throw those 28" mickey thompson's on for the track.
It's nice to see there are always honest people out there. I'l be sure to never purchase a car from you.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
yea, sort of contradicted your self there... that's funny actually, funny because you are sitting here talking shit because you would rather not deal with people that are truthful, like myself... but, you have godstang on the same forum talking about his vast knowledge on tampering with the odometer! -the people that i wouldn't buy anything from would be those that bull shit about their car never seeing rain, or never being raced... you know, all of the people that you can smell the bullshit from a mile away.

RussZTT

Established Member
yea, sort of contradicted your self there... that's funny actually, funny because you are sitting here talking shit because you would rather not deal with people that are truthful, like myself... but, you have godstang on the same forum talking about his vast knowledge on tampering with the odometer! -the people that i wouldn't buy anything from would be those that bull shit about their car never seeing rain, or never being raced... you know, all of the people that you can smell the bullshit from a mile away.
And how did I "contradict" myself? I was talking to you, not him. Yes, I agree with him when he said it's easy to do but its still illegal. Anyone that knows these cars, the wiring and electronics know it's easy. Hell, I know how to make a pipe bomb but will I, no. Does that make me a terrorist? You're the one stating you're odometer is disconnected yet you think it is ok. Not sure how you think you're being honest when you know its against the law and yet continue to do it, where is the honesty in that? It's my choice to state I would never purchase anything from you. Again, where am I contradicting myself? Oh, I'm not talking shit but simply stating facts.

Last edited:

20-COBRA-03

Banned
'my speedometer reading off' is a very understandable way of putting the fact out there, that with my MT's on the car, my speedometer is not completely accurate.

RussZTT

Established Member
You're correct I apologize. I guess in typing I started to think you had you're disconnected. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread