Unhappy with Nevada "Court" System

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
I got a traffic ticket a couple months back. 60mph in a 45. Cop was fair. I was speeding, no ifs ands or buts about it. He told me I had to appear in court and wrote the word "Court" where the total bail for the ticket is supposed to be.

So, I wait for the court date, thinking it was gonna be like California (moved to vegas a little over a year ago), where you go into a courtroom with a group of people and the judge calls each one and you discuss the ticket, fines, etc.

Boy was I ever wrong. I show up to the downtown courthouse and go to the information desk to ask where I'm supposed to go. I find the large room and it looks like a DMV waiting room. Huge line, and tellers at windows. A bit confused, I ask the lady at the front desk what to do and she tells me to take a number. Almost an hour later I get called to the window. The nice lady takes my ticket, and tells me my fine is $300. I pay it, she thanks me, and gives me a form about taking traffic school.

This is Nevada's idea of court? If all I had to do was pay a fine, why not just send a check from home? Why did I have to get up at the crack of dawn, fight traffic on the freeway, fight for parking in a bad area of town, just to wait in line and pay a fine, instead of just mailing the fine in like California? I didnt get to speak to a judge or anything. Why did I have to go to "court"?

SVT, you could have DEFINATELY talked to a judge. I am from Las Vegas, born and raised.. Lived there for 22 years.. I NEVER had to pay a fine upon going to court in NV. Your name should have been on the list on the door to the courtroom. Which courthouse did you go too? Downtown, Henderson or NLV? If it was Downtown, then I know exactly which room your talking about. The one right off the street and it smells and is small.. There is about 15 windows, which only 4 of them are open. LOL!
Hit me up on PM and I will see if I can help you out. My brother in law is a judge out in Vegas.

Users who are viewing this thread