Underdrive Pullies Installed

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
I had the Steeda underdrive pullies installed yesterday. Not a fun day. To begin the job shouldn't take more than 2 hours at most. We took all of 8 hours to complete the job. Why you ask???

Well first off Ford in their infinite wisdom to save 50 cents didn't bother to tap holes into the crank balance pulley so that a screw-in type pulley puller
could be used. They scored where the holes would go but they didn't drill them out.

So we had to switch to a claw type puller. A 7-inch pully bolt wasn't long enough to do the job. So we switched to a 9-inch and that was too long because of the fan cowling still being in place.

We tried coming in from the bottom but the sway bar and other stuff was in the way. So we decided to come in through the top. So we took off the
air-intake pipe, the power steering and radiator containers and then disconnected the ECU and fan power cords to get enough clearance to remove the fan cowling. After we took off the grill cover we were finally able to get the fan and its cowling cover out. This opened up a good size area where we could finally see what we were doing.

Then we spent the next five hours trying to get the crank pulley off because it was pressed on there so tight I doubt that it would have
mattered if it needed a keyway or not. The SOB just wouldn't come off even when using WD40 or heat. Finally after about five hours of pulling the pulley decided to break free and it came off.

The rest of the install was a piece of cake. After all that the dyno pull showed a 12 RWHP increase and 10 ft-lb torque gain.

Final rear-wheel numbers were:

HP 296.3
TQ 316.3

I noticed that the coolant temps were up 7 degrees from before the pulley swap. They normally are around 190.9 degrees but after the pulley swap they hovered around 197.0 degrees. The alternator seemed to be kicking back more than before. Before the battery hovered around a 13.6 volt charge but after the install it has been staying at 14.4 volts.

I'm still undecided about whether it was all worth it or not.

Corsa Axle-backs
SCT XCal2
Steeda Underdrive Pullies

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I noticed a slight gain as well with mine, but I had mine installed and just paid someone to do it.

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
Sonic Blue GT said:
I had the Steeda underdrive pullies installed yesterday. Not a fun day. To begin the job shouldn't take more than 2 hours at most. We took all of 8 hours to complete the job. Why you ask???

Well first off Ford in their infinite wisdom to save 50 cents didn't bother to tap holes into the crank balance pulley so that a screw-in type pulley puller
could be used. They scored where the holes would go but they didn't drill them out.

So we had to switch to a claw type puller. A 7-inch pully bolt wasn't long enough to do the job. So we switched to a 9-inch and that was too long because of the fan cowling still being in place.

We tried coming in from the bottom but the sway bar and other stuff was in the way. So we decided to come in through the top. So we took off the
air-intake pipe, the power steering and radiator containers and then disconnected the ECU and fan power cords to get enough clearance to remove the fan cowling. After we took off the grill cover we were finally able to get the fan and its cowling cover out. This opened up a good size area where we could finally see what we were doing.

Then we spent the next five hours trying to get the crank pulley off because it was pressed on there so tight I doubt that it would have
mattered if it needed a keyway or not. The SOB just wouldn't come off even when using WD40 or heat. Finally after about five hours of pulling the pulley decided to break free and it came off.

The rest of the install was a piece of cake. After all that the dyno pull showed a 12 RWHP increase and 10 ft-lb torque gain.

Final rear-wheel numbers were:

HP 296.3
TQ 316.3

I noticed that the coolant temps were up 7 degrees from before the pulley swap. They normally are around 190.9 degrees but after the pulley swap they hovered around 197.0 degrees. The alternator seemed to be kicking back more than before. Before the battery hovered around a 13.6 volt charge but after the install it has been staying at 14.4 volts.

I'm still undecided about whether it was all worth it or not.

Corsa Axle-backs
SCT XCal2
Steeda Underdrive Pullies

I've had enough time to think about it and drive the car. I believe after all the trouble of getting the UD Pullies installed that the gain was worth it. The car certainly has more noticeable mid to top end power and torque.

There seems to be a slight pause when I go WOT almost as if the car feels as if something is spooling up for about a split second and then it just digs in and takes off.

I've never had this delay before in my Cobras or V6 Mustang after installing underdrive pullies. So the only thing I can think of is that these new models are "throttle by wire" and that may cause the slight delay when going WOT.

Wild Stallion

Established Member
sqidd said:
I got a blower instead:coolman: :D
:lol: :burnout: same here:-D , but for now i have that (turbo lag) sensation as well it is from the fly by wire deal go get it tuned there are some new parameters out there for the fly by wire.

BigRick

Whippled Roush
Established Member
Sonic Blue GT said:

Wow,thats some pretty good numbers from the underdrive pulleys.Im surprised you were able to get that much.
The increased temperature and alternator issues are why I have always stayed away from that mod.
Id have to say(as long as that voltage doesnt cause a problem) you got your money's worth out of that.
Congrats on the new power.:rockon:

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
BigRick said:
Wow,thats some pretty good numbers from the underdrive pulleys.Im surprised you were able to get that much.
The increased temperature and alternator issues are why I have always stayed away from that mod.
Id have to say(as long as that voltage doesnt cause a problem) you got your money's worth out of that.
Congrats on the new power.:rockon:

The temperatures have only gone up 7 degrees. They have been staying at 197 degrees both in city and highway and long trip traffic. What I find interesting is that my computer readings for battery voltage in real-time (Hypertech Hyperpac to OBDII port) have actually gone up from 13.6 to between 13.9 volts and 14.4.

I have had the Shaker 500 radio and Sirius Satellite going, plus winshild wipers, plus heater and lights in city and highway and have had absolutely no problems and no light dimming.

I installed the Steedas UD which use the stock alternator pulley so that is why I think my electric power is keeping up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread