Underdrive Pulleys

fourvalvegt

Established Member
yes one of these threads if you don't like it get out

So I was wondering who all is running under drive pulleys and what brand. I know about all the oil pump failures, but I have only ever personally see one break and that car had more issues that just pullies.

What I want to know is
what brand
steel vs. aluminum
SFI
how many miles
built motor or stock
Highest RPM motor sees.
broken oil pump yes or no

also if anyone did a before and after dyno and the results. prefer same dyno same day if you have it. graphs a plus.

Now everyone can have fun bashing pullies.:burn:

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
My car has Mac underdrive pulleys. That's all I know about them. Car has a few bolt ons, nothing major at all. I have no clue how long they've been on. My brother got the car in 04 I think, and they were on then. I'm sure it's been 50k miles or more (car has 130k now) and no problems. My car is my dd, usually sees at most 4k rpms (not that I don't or haven't gone higher, but that's the most it will see until I get ready to hit the strip or something of that nature).

crazycarlo

Established Member
I had a march Crank pulley and water pump pulley on my car when I bought it, no alt pulley. With bolt ons my car mad 297 rwhp. I never had any problems with oil pump failure or water pump failure or charging (because stock alt pulley). I bought my car with 98,xxx miles on it and I have the documentation that shows the pullies were on there for many miles with no ploblems. Now since adding the blower the water and crank pulley are sitting on my floor, lol.

carkrazy

Nitrous Junkie!
Established Member
i just broke 25,000 miles on my 98 it's pretty much got every bolt on minus headers. I recentley put on a set of steeda pullies and all i can say is WOW! it really did wake it up and i have zero issues. steeda is the way to go IMO. it's not a piggy back style like the others. I just don't trust those piggy back systems. steeda quality is A++.
oh yeah! i shift at redline :)

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_4.6L_underdrive_pulleys.php

Last edited:

mackj66

Established Member
Not to hijack....but same issue.....What is the deal with the balancer? Is there a special one you are supposed to get that is balanced properly, or can you just straight up use all the steeda pullies minus alternator and be fine?

What about the BBK pullies? THey look so much better being satin aluminum. Are they crap or what?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Too bad the search is down i could pull up good threads on this.

Bottom line, Pullies are good for a few HP and just like tunes the popular ones have only become that in the last few years. Before that it was all piggy back.

IMO, experience and from reading everything I can on them when this debate started it is the SIZE of the dampner that matters most.

ANY of the oil pump failures (You will only find about 7-9 on the internet) have come from race motors that were all turning over 7000rpms and they all ran a very small dampner.

Don't get caught up in "SFI" spec too much either, it is only a saftey rating.

Get a good set and you should have no issues.

Myself? I will continue to run piggy backs for several reasons,
1. the very large danpner.
2. Cost
3. I trust them and have never saw a failure with them.

fordvicious32v

Established Member
i just broke 25,000 miles on my 98 it's pretty much got every bolt on minus headers. I recentley put on a set of steeda pullies and all i can say is WOW! it really did wake it up and i have zero issues. steeda is the way to go IMO. it's not a piggy back style like the others. I just don't trust those piggy back systems. steeda quality is A++.
oh yeah! i shift at redline :)

Steeda 4.6L Underdrive Pulleys - '96-'04 Ford Mustang

yeah guys, steeda is the way to go, like he said you feel the before and after 4 sure:rockon:

Venom351R

Established Member
What about the BBK pullies? THey look so much better being satin aluminum. Are they crap or what?

I just bought a set of the Aluminum ones. A set I had before on a different Mustang was the ASP Steel ones and one thing I can say is that the BBK aluminiums are light as hell compared to steel pulleys. Plus they look killer.

004-12.jpg

Black Stang 97

Established Member
STEEDA FTW!!
had them while i was n/a... same day dyno, had a before and after.. .gained 12rwhp.. i say its good for the money... car had about 50k miles at the time...

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I run the march piggybacks.
they've been on there for about 50k. I installed them myself. i WAS having an issue where i felt the voltage should be higher, so I reinstalled the stock alt pulley.

I have the March alt pulley still. PM me if anyone wants/needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread