undercoating....

DirtyDan10

Established Member
was looking at a thread and someone mentions DO NOT undercoat underneath the car...i was thinking about doing this....why not??????? :shrug:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Because it just makes working on suspension and stuff nasty. If you daily drive on salty roads that is an obvious exception, but in most cases, it is better to just keep the undercarriage clean, so it is easy to inspect, or weld to if you want to add subframes, or other accessories. I fully painted mine gloss black after welding in my subframes since it looked crappy to me after touching up just the welds. Since my whole stainless exhaust, driveshaft, and lower control arms are polished, it looks super nice now.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
3556p3.jpg

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Mine was undercoated from the selling dealer..None of the coating made it into the suspension or brake lines. They did an amazing job.

DirtyDan10

Established Member
well actually i wasnt doing a rig job i was gonna take my time and wrap the exhaust , suspension parts and what ever needs be wrapped in news paper....and take my time to spray it down if it alters nothing then im down!:rockon: :dancenana:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Undercoating is a waste of time and money and does little if anything to lengthen the life of the vehicle.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Undercoat is very hard to clean and hangs on to oils and engine spatter. Over time this contributes to rust. I regularly battle with it in my older cars and am so happy not to have it on this one. It is a nightmare to remove once applied.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
does anyone know where to get that oem green paint that was used to paint the underside from?

DirtyDan10

Established Member
hmmm i see your guys' point, o well i guess ill just stick to regular cleaning to the under body .....im a neat freak and thought it would look clean :coolman:

@ svt troy i would check with the dealer....

black 10th vert

Established Member
hmmm i see your guys' point, o well i guess ill just stick to regular cleaning to the under body .....im a neat freak and thought it would look clean :coolman:

@ svt troy i would check with the dealer....

Well, if you want that look, there is another option that I have used before on another project that worked really well, and is not nearly as messy, or sticky. Just use Duplicolor spray on bedliner. It dries nice and hard, and leaves a textured semi-flat black finish. I would recommend that any day over regular spray undercoat.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Because it just makes working on suspension and stuff nasty. If you daily drive on salty roads that is an obvious exception, but in most cases, it is better to just keep the undercarriage clean, so it is easy to inspect, or weld to if you want to add subframes, or other accessories. I fully painted mine gloss black after welding in my subframes since it looked crappy to me after touching up just the welds. Since my whole stainless exhaust, driveshaft, and lower control arms are polished, it looks super nice now.

This is the truth!! Another point is when selling some may thing you are hiding something,like rust,patch panels or damage.

Users who are viewing this thread