Underaged Drinking?

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
So a few of my buddies are having a party tonight. We're all in college however 80% of the people there will be below 21. I would like to go and just hang out with them. AKA go, but not drink. But my question is, if I'm there, 100% sober, and the police come, can I still get in any sort of trouble?

Thanks! I live in Georgia btw.

BumbleBeeGTO

Established Member
Hmm good question. My thoughts would be the owner of the house gets charged only but im curious to see this answer myself.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I think it would be at the cop's discretion, but I would like some LEO's opinions on this as well.

GunsUpCoyote

Global Wahhh? 12 mpg
Established Member
No you will be fine. If they do come in just do what they say and you will walk away no questions asked.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I've been a few situations like this before.

The first one we thought the cops were gonna bust everybody but they just walked inside and told the people to move their cars out of other people's yards and they just went on about their ways. I know the cops clearly knew about 85% of the people at the party were under 21 b/c there were TONS of bottles layin around but I guess they didn't care.

The 2nd one the cops busted inside the house arresting people left and right and they got 2 of my buddies and put them in jail for 1 night. I know one got his lisence taken away b/c he was on probation. They said only 21+ people could stay and the cops literally stayed until all underage people were gone and they checked ID to. The owner of the house did not get trouble.

Just my 2 experiences.

IMO it all depends on the cop. Some will let you go with ease and some won't.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
For me, cops have always: 1. Told everyone to be quiet and have a good night 2. Kick everyone out and try to scare everybody with tickets and what not. 3. Kick everyone out and owner of the house gets a ticket for noise violation. Again it's all up to the cop and whether you're being a dick or complying with him/her.

txyaloo

Established Member
No you will be fine. If they do come in just do what they say and you will walk away no questions asked.

That's not even close to true. In Texas, if you're under 21 and alcohol is readily accessible to you (such as open cans of beer, a keg, or liquor at a party), you can be charged with "minor in possession" unless you are under your parents supervision. The MIP laws are similar in most other states.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Except for txyaloo, this thread is chock full of fail. It made me lol.

OP, I suggest you dont put yourself in the position of having to find out the answer to your question.

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
Except for txyaloo, this thread is chock full of fail. It made me lol.

OP, I suggest you dont put yourself in the position of having to find out the answer to your question.

They're answers may not be right in the legal sense, however, the two gentlemen that you are suggesting "fail" are speaking from personal experience. And I appreciate that information as much as the information the LEO's offer.

GunsUpCoyote

Global Wahhh? 12 mpg
Established Member
They're answers may not be right in the legal sense, however, the two gentlemen that you are suggesting "fail" are speaking from personal experience. And I appreciate that information as much as the information the LEO's offer.

About a month ago I was at a friends party with 100+ people and not drinking. My best friend got sucker punched and the cops came. I spoke with them, explained I had not been drinking and was taking him to the hospital.

From my personal college experience being 20 MOST not all cops just break up the party because of noise or neighbors complaining about cars etc. etc.

However from personal experience APARTMENT parties are where you are more likely to get an M.I.P. or in trouble etc.

Just my .02 Have fun and be safe.

uofipilot

Established Member
I don't know how the police handle these situations there (assuming on/near a college campus). Here at University of Illinois, if a house/apartment party gets a visit from the local PD, it's typically the house/apartment lessee who gets ticketed, and any minor who is too stupid-drunk to comply with the police. Typically, if a minor is not clearly intoxicated and making a scene, they don't get a ticket. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease a lot of the time.

Key word in all of this is typically. While FordSVTFan is right, it is often up to the officers discretion how they want to handle it. And in my experience, the nicer you are with the cops, the nicer they will be with you.

All that said, UofI is a big campus, but everything is on campus. Nobody really drives down here, as everything (all bars and virtually all apartments and houses) is in walking distance. I don't think we need to go over common sense, alcohol, and cars in this thread though. ;)

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
Haha no siree. I'm not a drinker. I've never been drunk for that matter. But I just enjoy hanging with my friends haha.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
About a month ago I was at a friends party with 100+ people and not drinking. My best friend got sucker punched and the cops came. I spoke with them, explained I had not been drinking and was taking him to the hospital.

From my personal college experience being 20 MOST not all cops just break up the party because of noise or neighbors complaining about cars etc. etc.

However from personal experience APARTMENT parties are where you are more likely to get an M.I.P. or in trouble etc.

Just my .02 Have fun and be safe.

I've had similar experiences. My roommates and I would often times have large parties at our house. The police came twice and it was because of people complaining about cars. No one was arrested [I'm sure that the vast majority were underage including myself at the time].

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
Just so everyone knows. The popo didn't make an appearance last night haha

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
from my extenisve experience of college parties where there was underaged people here is what happened.

-most of the time cops will come in, break up the party, tell everyone to leave, and they give whoever lives there a noise violation

- some people get lucky and the cops break up the party, tell everyone to leave, and they dont give them a ticket (i was never this lucky with parties at my place)

- rarely, cops come in and break up the party but some numskulls give the officers crap, which leads to them either getting tickets for underage drinking, or even getting arrested sometimes

the vast majority of the time it seems the cops just want the party to end and dont feel like wasting there time giving out tickets to underage drinkers, although they certainly could if they wanted to, or if someone was giving them crap. Its called discretion

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I can say from experience that is is the police officers discretion. At least in all my times this has happened. 2 weeks ago this happened at my buddies birthday party, he was having it at his cousins apartment who is 18, police showed up once for being to loud, they said keep it down. An hour later they were back and i swear it was like super troopers, "Guess whos back ****ERS!" exact words. I laughed and they made the beer get dumped and everyone leave.

9BABCobra8

Established Member
It all depends on the cops in your area. When I was in junior college, the area where i lived was extremely nice and well off... the cops would patrol with force. By this i mean when they showed up there would be anywhere from 6-8 cars!!!

My roommate threw a party with about 45 people there and when the cops showed up who got the ticket? Not my 21 year old roommate but me who blew 0.00. I didn't get a M.I.P. or contributing to minors but FURNISHING to minors. There was a fine up to $1,500. I was the only one to get a ticket out of the 3 other roommates present at that time... sucked but i got a lawyer and the charges were dropped....

realitygt

Established Member
are there actually any felonies associated with underage drinking?

or are they all misdemeanors and can be taken care of by a lawyer or reduced?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
are there actually any felonies associated with underage drinking?

or are they all misdemeanors and can be taken care of by a lawyer or reduced?

Being a misdemeanor doesn't mean that it can be always be "taken care of" or reduced :shrug: I got an MIP and the fine and court fees totalled $744 not to mention the community service. Also, here in Athens anyone that gets a MIP is automatically taken to the county jail no exceptions where you have to bond out or stay until your court date.

Last edited by a moderator:

tistan

Established Member
You really don't want to put yourself in an underage drinking situation in GA. If convicted of underage drinking in GA you will lose your drivers license for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread