Under car ticking video, help wanted

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
I posted this in the Terminator section but I know the traffic is a bit light by comparison to this section.

Noise sounds like an exhaust leak but I can't find any leaks. Does not go away with clutch in, can't hear much when in gear but I am thinking my exhaust note drowns it out. Seems loudest under driver's side door area.

Car has 18,000 miles and isn't beat on. Noise can't be heard from the engine bay, just the injectors. Here is a quick vid I did during lunch. I will try to post a better one after work.

Car drives great so I am lost as to what it could be?
Thank in advance guys :beer:

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
that is a terrible quality vid lol but too be honest i dont hear anything out of the norm going on. Does the sound you are hearing change or worsen with RPM ? if its an exhaust leak it will get more audible with exhaust gas volume. Does not sound like Tic to me at all very normal but hard to say based on the quality of the vid.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
^^ Does not sound like an old truck at all.

As for the rpm's increasing the volume of the "tick" the answer is no. It gets quicker with rpm but not louder. The sound is not loud at all and that's the reason I figured an exhaust leak. I will take a better vid after work.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
That's a pretty strange sound. No misfires at all that you can hear through the exhaust tips?

Fat-cat

Established Member
Sounds normal to me Riddla, under the car on these mod motors makes all kinds of goofy noise with the blower echo, and the 10 feet of chains on the front of the engine lol Also the T56 is a noisy beast.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
Nope, no misfires. My next vid after work will include the exhaust note/under hood/under car.

Car runs/drives awesome as usual. It sounds 100% like an exhaust leak but there are no obvious ones. It's driving me ****ing nuts!!

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
Sounds normal to me Riddla, under the car on these mod motors makes all kinds of goofy noise with the blower echo, and the 10 feet of chains on the front of the engine lol Also the T56 is a noisy beast.

Making me feel better but it never did it before?

Last edited:

408Fox

Established Member
Get two people and either do it yourself and have someone listen or vise-versa...hold your hand over the exhaust tips and see if the sound changes. Obviously do this when its cool.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
Did that at work on a lift and it did not change. I'm starting to think It's a pulley/accessory or trans noise.

Users who are viewing this thread